Mir 2 Servers

ReeceGamba

LOMCN n00bie
Aug 16, 2017
Coming from the euro server mir 2 (Dragon) I loved it and played it until it was shut down, sadly since then theres been so many failed servers with too much custom content etc etc, i was wondering what the chances of there ever being a normal mir2 server again? everything was balanced well and it was well and truely a grind but that was the fun of it.

Is there anything even like what mir 2 was? After playing marble for a couple of hours it was easy to see that people had ridiculously good gear and i remember the days on mir 2 of seeing someone with heaven armour was very very rare to see, am i the only one who feels like progression is just too easy in these servers?

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
Coming from the euro server mir 2 (Dragon) I loved it and played it until it was shut down, sadly since then theres been so many failed servers with too much custom content etc etc, i was wondering what the chances of there ever being a normal mir2 server again? everything was balanced well and it was well and truely a grind but that was the fun of it.

Is there anything even like what mir 2 was? After playing marble for a couple of hours it was easy to see that people had ridiculously good gear and i remember the days on mir 2 of seeing someone with heaven armour was very very rare to see, am i the only one who feels like progression is just too easy in these servers?

Sorry to say buddy, This no longer exists within Mir, might be worth checking out Chronicles,

Wittin

Ex-Δdministrator
VIP
May 7, 2003
Actually working on something along these lines right now. I've been away from mir for about 10 years, however I have a good reputation here and on official servers (previously 'HighlyBlessed' on gamepot server) , my plan is to build a server largely vanilla, low rates to follow an incremental small update cycle similar to official servers designed to give an authentic gameplay experience somewhere in between the 2 official western projects.

I have the files working and resources to host, and am in the process of building a small team of some reputable community figures/consultants. Assuming this can be done in short time, hopefully some kind of alpha testing can commence.

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
Same as Wittin, working on something pretty big along side updating the Crystal source. Although working on the actual server is slower than updating and releasing stuff for Crystal so no time scales. The idea is to be very close to official, low rate and giving mir some difficulty by adding hard bosses, that require tactics rather than just endlessly beating them along with proper crafting systems and correct balance between all 5 classes.

We will see how things go with Jamie working on a mir 3 server that mir 2 players will enjoy there might be no need for such a server.

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
Same as Wittin, working on something pretty big along side updating the Crystal source. Although working on the actual server is slower than updating and releasing stuff for Crystal so no time scales. The idea is to be very close to official, low rate and giving mir some difficulty by adding hard bosses, that require tactics rather than just endlessly beating them along with proper crafting systems and correct balance between all 5 classes.

We will see how things go with Jamie working on a mir 3 server that mir 2 players will enjoy there might be no need for such a server.

Never give up m8, no matter even if john travolta opens a mir3 server

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
There are and have been a number of successful low rate, low update scheduled servers (I would class Chronicles as one).

But to expect rarity of items similar to that of the original Mir2 game will not be seen lol. People will not play for years to see just 1 HeavenArmour for example to drop.

Complaints are heard these days if you go more than 3 months without the semi rarest item in game dropping haha ;)

A LOT of people in the original game went their entire careers without having played with the rarest items in the game (I personally never held a Lv40 weapon lol). If that was the experience on servers with the low user count we get in comparison, it would go over about as well as salt in a wound.

Last edited:

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
There are and have been a number of successful low rate, low update scheduled servers (I would class Chronicles as one).

But to expect rarity of items similar to that of the original Mir2 game will not be seen lol. People will not play for years to see just 1 HeavenArmour for example to drop.

Complaints are heard these days if you go more than 3 months without the semi rarest item in game dropping haha ;)

A LOT of people in the original game went their entire careers without having played with the rarest items in the game (I personally never held a Lv40 weapon lol). If that was the experience on servers with the low user count we get in comparison, it would go over about as well as salt in a wound.

This, people think they want it, but in reality, they dont.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
problem is the people who play mir now, mostly work, it's not like back in the day 24/7 kaining it just for a few % its the same with all servers currently moistly the unemployed are doing good on em..

chaosdeath

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 22, 2012
Newport, UK
Drowning and myself have started working on a low / med server . This server will be a two man team and items WILL be rare although we are also working a story line into mir and have added a lot of new content including items / maps and mobs.

The problem a lot of us face is the fact that since euro mir closed then USA mir , mir as we know it did NOT stop evolving and since the release of the crystal files a lot of server owners are able to keep up with official server and make unique servers. The best I can offer you bud is to just try each one until you find a mir that fits what you are looking for although it may not be 100% of what you are after though

By two man team I mean that ONLY Steve and myself will have access to the server files, past experience has taught me that the more people who have access to the files the more the chance of corruption , although this is not always the case .

Last edited:

ReeceGamba

LOMCN n00bie
Aug 16, 2017
Glad to see people actually are still intrested in low rate servers, highly looking forward to more low rates and vanilla style mir.

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
No one wants that kind of server on a private server

too much time and effort needs to be invested for little return

even Korean Mir isn't that grindy any more

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
We always see to crave that nostalgic feeling. But in reality when it comes to Mir nobody really wants to or has the time to commit to a euro type server. That goes for both players and server creators.

Ali3n

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 27, 2004
Leicestershire
What people think they want vs what they actually want are very different things. Very, very, very few people want to play Euro clones anymore.

Rose tinted glasses and all that.

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
I beg to differ slightly....

A low rate works, but it cant be Euro. The problem with Euro is people know where to go and where to skip. They know kill spots for their class, and the good gear to get. What a low rate needs it 100% custom. People need to go out into the world, find a dungeon, and test and kill.

Imagine pre PI, it was all about lvling in ZT, then it was PT/PSC/PC, then we got Past Bichon & BDD, nothing stopped people lvling. Now though this is all in from word go, and soo much content is skipped. On low rates mines, oma natural, serp valley, woomyon woods, and even Monchong are all skipped.

I'm also a strong believer in patching it slowly, I don't like servers with content from say 0-50 included instantly it spreads kit and players gear out too quickly and items become trash too quickly. Why do people need SOWG's instantly at 43, there was lvl 48's before SOWG's ingame irrc... just because its lower than max level doesn't mean it needs to be trash.

In short, if done properly a true lowrate would work but it cannot be euro.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
For something resembling euro to have any chance, it would have to be lovingly crafted with attention to detail and full featured. I'd even say such server would be more labor intensive to develop than your typical high rate on which you can gloss over many things because progress leaves details in dust before long.

Going by today's standard of what low rate means around here, to resemble euro it would have to be classed ultra low rate. And while I understand that about glitzy flashy custom features thing that servers are these days, you would still need to improve on what euro was but in keeping with its spirit. Like personally I'd have item classed common-mythical, I'd have awakening as well as old fashioned refining with BIO and items and many other features of today's files.

I think there are pple around who don't care much about high paced life of today's servers, stodgy pple if you will :beguiled: who would be more after social experience with game background rather than seeing the game as a challenge to conquer as fast as it can be done.

---------- Post Merged at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:03 PM ----------

What a low rate needs it 100% custom. People need to go out into the world, find a dungeon, and test and kill.

Imagine pre PI, it was all about lvling in ZT, then it was PT/PSC/PC, then we got Past Bichon & BDD, nothing stopped people lvling. Now though this is all in from word go, and soo much content is skipped. On low rates mines, oma natural, serp valley, woomyon woods, and even Monchong are all skipped.

Not sure about '100% custom', I got some taste of that on Eden server and have mixed feeling playing without any maps and things being totally different from euro.
You don't get that feeling reliving euro, if only because because even Eden server is not low rate of euro standard.

As to skipped content, that was my peewee complaint even during second official USA mir Gamepot server. I would like to see mir redone in this regard so all those skipped caves would have their place.

ReeceGamba

LOMCN n00bie
Aug 16, 2017

A low rate works, but it cant be Euro. The problem with Euro is people know where to go and where to skip. They know kill spots for their class, and the good gear to get. What a low rate needs it 100% custom. People need to go out into the world, find a dungeon, and test and kill.

I'm also a strong believer in patching it slowly, I don't like servers with content from say 0-50 included instantly it spreads kit and players gear out too quickly and items become trash too quickly. Why do people need SOWG's instantly at 43, there was lvl 48's before SOWG's ingame irrc... just because its lower than max level doesn't mean it needs to be trash.

Totally agree with this, although the argument is to be had yes people dont have the time for it anymore however that shouldnt mean that you can get a crazyily high level and good gear within 2days of leveling. no matter what mir should certainly have a level of ''grind'' to it, thats how it all began.

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield

100% this, but there are also ways to push people back into lower level areas just no one has taken the chance todo it. Once I've finished the main systems that need putting in I'll be working on a system similar to that of GW2 where each area will have a level set in the map database that suits it, if you enter the area above that your level and stats drop to what it would be at that level but you still gain experience suited to progress. Bring that in with actual boss encounters and crafting resources that can only be found in those areas is a perfect way of "forcing" players not to skip. Drop files that can drop items based on level and chance so a 22 warrior can have similar level items drop in Oma Caves where a level 5 only gets the lower items. Major testing would need to be done but I say euro like mainly due to the levelling rate and drop rates.

I think a lot of people see the files are good and stick too close to a euro server without looking at drops, stats and all content in one go or a med/high rate with crazy **** then unable to balance anything but so much more can be implemented whilst making it feel like an official server. I guess most people just see the open source as an easy way to customise spell behaviour and change a few bits in the code and leave it there.

Ideally I had the idea of rolling my server out in "Sagas" so starting with each main map and it's main dungeon e.g. server launches and it will be Undead Saga for instance, with the next ready to be released (just for launch). By the time players have finished the smaller caves (with boss encounters in each) moving to the final area which are the mines. A hard boss that requires tactics, a decent group and some coordination that is actually fun to defeat when the majority of players get higher levels the next Saga is released, but with the above system still giving benefits to those who are helping the lower levels will keep people busy.

Keep moving on like that a new Saga each month with events, invasions etc (giving developers chance to actually test, and improve the next update) I don't see a problem. Mir has loads of content even back in 2.3 people just skipped a **** ton because it was the same, kill some mobs, beat the dungeons piss easy boss, kill more mobs and move on. Bring in the new features such as a robust crafting system, upgraded drop system, better grouping and guild features I don't see people playing a low rate at all. We shall see though could be wrong...

Turrican

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 24, 2012
UK

Yep, imo one of the biggest issues is the mir map editor is complete garbage and thus why you never see anyone creating new map content. So when a new server pops up all they have done is copied the maps from other servers and changed mob / item / spell names. No one can be arsed to work with the Archaic map editor. It's mind boggling that there has been no focus on updating it when Maps are such an integral part of the game and contribute massively to what makes a server feel unique.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Yep, imo one of the biggest issues is the mir map editor is complete garbage and thus why you never see anyone creating new map content. So when a new server pops up all they have done is copied the maps from other servers and changed mob / item / spell names. No one can be arsed to work with the Archaic map editor. It's mind boggling that there has been no focus on updating it when Maps are such an integral part of the game and contribute massively to what makes a server feel unique.

I'd love a map editor that actually worked well...