Mir 2 Servers

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
We may agree to disagree on this point, but I am going to be blunt; can you name a single Crystal server that came out that had an effect anywhere close to Chronicles did?

You'll be very, very hard pressed to do so. Because nothing can compare to what Chronicles did for this community. In fact, Chronicles further proves my point in this regard - it moved AWAY from LOMCN and chose to avoid the negativity that seems to just infest this forum, and it thrived and still is alive and kicking in the face of everything that's happened to it.

Sure, Crystal may have kept us going inbetween great servers. But imagine a GENUINE new player to Mir - many of who'm I encountered on Chronicles, Marble. Can you honestly tell me they'd have stuck around had the first server they played been your run of the mill C# server?

That's the issue i'm getting at. Mir can stave off death for as long as possible and C# has done a ****ing great job at that - but for every Mir player it kept playing it also probably drove off as many fresh new players. This is just my opinion, but it's far more important to bring new players into Mir and get the word spread through their circle of friends that Mir is a game worth playing, than to keep our old but dedicated players "just chugging along".

I won't get into the Marble discussion as it's something I saw as an inevitable failure and learning curve, that happens with everyone. But I agree it still has a future, not in its present state, but perhaps someway down the road in the future for Mir2 veterans who perhaps aren't interested in Mir3.

Thank you for joining the discussion though, you know I appreciate your input, even if in the past we had our run ins :joyous:

I think that's a fair point, I'm just not sure I'd entirely blame the Crystal files for that. Seems more like no one managed to pull off a very large server using them. Bon with 5heroes got pretty close. Every server having to deal with crashes for the first couple of months for a long time didn't help either. I'd actually be very curious to know how many new players become attracted to Mir nowadays, I can't imagine it's very many except when something like Chronicles launched and the majority of that was down to marketing

Toxicity is by far the worst thing about the community, it's a small minority but still it's the main reason we moved away from LOMCN and the main reason I quit interacting with the community for a long long time. Even now I tend to stay out of most discussions and leave the interaction with the Chronicles community for the others on the team. It's also not something I ever see changing as it's a general internet thing. We'd spend more time some months putting out community fires (some self caused for sure) than actually updating the game, it became an incredible draining exercise that we were almost relived when other servers began taking the heat off us, still we always aim to be the top server :P

Even with that toxicity I think Mir still has room to grow, servers need to change and become more modern. Take notes from other current successful MMO's while still attempting to blend in the PvP action that keeps a lot of the hardcore players playing. It's a balance that I don't believe anyone can get 100% right. But someone will pull off a Chronicles 2.0 and Mir will keep going for another few years somehow

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
I think mir 2 is to saturated for any server to do well, chronicals will probably be the last decent uptime/user count server for mir2. people put months or work into there servers only to flop after 2/3weeks in most cases.

personally Crystal files being released was a big mistake for the cumminty. people want to play populated servers, having 10/15 servers to play dont work.

You think there wasn't this many servers about on every other generation of Mir 2 files? If so you're wrong. Yes Crystal is easy to set up and get "a server" up and running but take 2.3 for example: There was a guide for literally everything. There were so many guides every one had a server. Even Ruby had a more concise setup guide than Crystal (the problem was it still didn't work).

The only time I remember there being < 7~? servers up at any one time was during the lull after development dried up and people were left with a choice of either buggy/cheatable Hero files, difficult to set up & incomplete ruby files or dried up/exhausted 2.3.

It was a really dull time take my word, so to say Crystal was detrimental is just plain wrong, we needed it.

Last edited:

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Well there really should be a balance between the releasing of files and the policing of advertisements. Previously this wasn't too much of a problem, but with a GameShop so easily accessible within the game itself to see whats on offer and be enticed into spending money on a server that won't last 5 minutes is ridiculous.

People get a really good set of files and just see a shortcut to some quick cash. Crystal in that regard has made this extremely easy, that any muppet can spend a couple of weeks adding database entries and throwing it up as something new and fresh.

The releasing of files in itself, is a bad move....if the policing is non existent, which it currently is.

Personally I think if someones server has released for a 3rd or 4th time with no changes and just a re-release...it shouldn't be advertised and should be black marked. Just like cheaters of Chronicles have been black marked, these should be marked as failed server owners or something.

We don't need a split community between tons of money whoring servers. We need real legitimate and reliable servers.

Of course most servers that release are all making money, otherwise it likely wouldn't be online...let's be honest. But if you're going to get money out of it, people deserve some reliability. I think the only way to do that is not only by releases and contributions by the community, but for the staff to start controlling what comes out of here a bit more.

Last edited:

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
Well there really should be a balance between the releasing of files and the policing of advertisements. Previously this wasn't too much of a problem, but with a GameShop so easily accessible within the game itself to see whats on offer and be enticed into spending money on a server that won't last 5 minutes is ridiculous.

People get a really good set of files and just see a shortcut to some quick cash. Crystal in that regard has made this extremely easy, that any muppet can spend a couple of weeks adding database entries and throwing it up as something new and fresh.

The releasing of files in itself, is a bad move....if the policing is non existent, which it currently is.

Personally I think if someones server has released for a 3rd or 4th time with no changes and just a re-release...it shouldn't be advertised and should be black marked. Just like cheaters of Chronicles have been black marked, these should be marked as failed server owners or something.

We don't need a split community between tons of money whoring servers. We need real legitimate and reliable servers.

Of course most servers that release are all making money, otherwise it likely wouldn't be online...let's be honest. But if you're going to get money out of it, people deserve some reliability. I think the only way to do that is not only by releases and contributions by the community, but for the staff to start controlling what comes out of here a bit more.

I've already decided IF I do another project after Zircon, it'd be a Mir 2 Semi-open sourced, (Source will be available and binaries; but no one other than me can commit).

However I doubt I would even work on it before 2020 so there's plenty of time for crystal or LOMCN/Mir to change.

Not sure if it would be better or worse for Mir though.

Adv

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 13, 2014
Anyone noticed vegetables getting bigger these days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
I've already decided IF I do another project after Zircon, it'd be a Mir 2 Semi-open sourced, (Source will be available and binaries; but no one other than me can commit).

However I doubt I would even work on it before 2020 so there's plenty of time for crystal or LOMCN/Mir to change.

Not sure if it would be better or worse for Mir though.

Open or Closed source makes no difference when the servers whoring money are just basic changes anyway (Not seen that many that have bothered to dabble with any of the code).

Ultimately if they are still hostable without any control on advertisement, the problem will persist. I mean I personally don't have any troubles identifying the trash from the real ones anymore lol...and i get that there needs to be some learning curve.

But after a 5th successive attempt, surely it would be in everyones best interest to stop it coming back up from that same person lol.

Will see how things play out. Will be interesting to see what comes out of all of this in the next few years or so. Hopefully you don't go onto any other projects if Zircon is still going strong ;)

Wittin

Ex-Δdministrator
VIP
May 7, 2003
For those who were interested in my previous post, our development server is now live. We're slowly transitioning into some kind of open testing - and we're not expecting any wipes. I'm quite open minded and liberal in the way server is operated, myself plus Xander are the only GMs here, yet this is very much a community driven operation.

More information and our vision is available at www.artificialmir.eu and if anyone wants to get involved help develop the files, get on the credits list or just play, now is as good time as any.

Server is currently inhabited primarily by ex-USA/Euro players (for a number of weeks now), they have been helping lay the foundations and weed out initial problems. Loads more info on the website. Really keen to get involved with more people that have good mechanical understanding of the official files and/or their features.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
For those who were interested in my previous post, our development server is now live. We're slowly transitioning into some kind of open testing - and we're not expecting any wipes. I'm quite open minded and liberal in the way server is operated, myself plus Xander are the only GMs here, yet this is very much a community driven operation.

More information and our vision is available at www.artificialmir.eu and if anyone wants to get involved help develop the files, get on the credits list or just play, now is as good time as any.

Server is currently inhabited primarily by ex-USA/Euro players (for a number of weeks now), they have been helping lay the foundations and weed out initial problems. Loads more info on the website. Really keen to get involved with more people that have good mechanical understanding of the official files and/or their features.

Any reason for no autopatcher? :S

or is it just the basic C client? o.0

Last edited:

Wittin

Ex-Δdministrator
VIP
May 7, 2003
Any reason for no autopatcher? :S

or is it just the basic C client? o.0

Yes, it's supposed to be as compatible as possible - I'm going to go as far as possible without editing the client data files, since they already have pretty much everything in them our project requires in the long term. We actually submitted a change just last week to the client hosted at mirfiles to add a map that was missing from the original files - Far and Tai kindly assisted in getting it done, and I'd like to think we're just a part of the wider Crystal community.

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
Yes, it's supposed to be as compatible as possible - I'm going to go as far as possible without editing the client data files, since they already have pretty much everything in them our project requires in the long term. We actually submitted a change just last week to the client hosted at mirfiles to add a map that was missing from the original files - Far and Tai kindly assisted in getting it done, and I'd like to think we're just a part of the wider Crystal community.

Why not post in upcoming server's if you would like people on testing, looks pretty promising people are craving a server at the moment hope all goes smoothly will defo be checking this out.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom

If I had the time I would have liked to get involved. Sadly work is relentless at the moment :dispirited:

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
For those who were interested in my previous post, our development server is now live. We're slowly transitioning into some kind of open testing - and we're not expecting any wipes.

I like the vision, especially that about server files including its updates being openly available to folks who would like to run their own home server at home for 'private' use (typically close knit group of pple, even just family...).

Thing is, it is not easy to tweak base C# files past basic playability for most ordinary pple out there. Also there is that factor that a cup of tea tastes better if somebody else made it for you rather than you making it for yourself :very_drunk:

Not wiping after some open period is ok, it is sort of bonus for those who invested play time into server not quite finished.