Web editing.

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
I've not long got into PHP/HTML/CSS and looking for some pointers/advise.

Other than the WordPress pages I have on my website, I'm using Notepad++ to create/edit the custom php files but at the moment all the CSS editing is mostly done using "Inspect" while viewing the page(s) on Google Chrome to get positions/layout to how I'd like.

Is there any tools I can use for 'live' editing of the CSS without having to use chrome?
Is Notepad++ my best option for the PHP/HTML?

Other tips are welcome :)

Thanks.

Mecha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Jun 28, 2015
Essex
I've not long got into PHP/HTML/CSS and looking for some pointers/advise.

Other than the WordPress pages I have on my website, I'm using Notepad++ to create/edit the custom php files but at the moment all the CSS editing is mostly done using "Inspect" while viewing the page(s) on Google Chrome to get positions/layout to how I'd like.

Is there any tools I can use for 'live' editing of the CSS without having to use chrome?
Is Notepad++ my best option for the PHP/HTML?

Other tips are welcome :)

Thanks.

You can use notepad to edit css. What is it you are trying to do?

I use notepad for php and html too, otherwise i use the web editing option on my hosting to edit it via there instead. I guess to make things easier, you can do it all offline and view it from your desktop, just make a folder and have images etc. all in there with the correct filepath in the file

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
You can use notepad to edit css. What is it you are trying to do?

Yeah, I use Notepad++ already for the .css files, I was just wondering if there's a UI application to edit it live so I can get the layout done without going through the Inspect path on Chrome.

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Just out of curiosity. Why are you doing the website in PHP? If you are already coding Mir in C# why not think about using ASP.NET? Or is it because you are using WordPress?

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Just out of curiosity. Why are you doing the website in PHP? If you are already coding Mir in C# why not think about using ASP.NET? Or is it because you are using WordPress?

The main website uses WordPress yeah however some parts of the website use iframes to display data from a central database and I don't work solely on Mir2, I'm currently working on some pages and had hoped there'd be an application I could use to speed up the process of .css building/editing.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
visual studio is a perfect tool to web development. Use SCSS files for efficient css scripting, and link directly to your open browser for live updates.

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
There is also the element explorer in most web browsers that you can use to check the css on a live page. Just hit F12 and change the style. to see what it would look like. It does have it's limitations but i always find it the best way to try positioning something or check how something looks before changing the actual css.

ChronicleGM

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 24, 2004
Hey Pete,

I've taught myself HTML CSS MySQL and PHP from scratch and the best thing I ever did was download XAMPP. Once installed, this free software acts as an Apache server (like a hosting company) and you can live edit files through Notepad ++. Reload the URL in your browser and you can see the live changes. Its how I developed all of my first websites.

I'd highly recommend this, especially if you are coding from scratch and not using templates / wordpress. I have not used any of the other software mentioned but its about finding whats best for you.

If you need any tips etc just give me a pm.

Thanks.
Stan.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
) and you can live edit files through Notepad ++. Reload the URL in your browser and you can see the live changes.

If you have to reload the webpage to see a change thats not a live update. Just saying.

Honestly you guys using notepad++ for web editing are living in the dark ages. That might have been an adequate application 10 years ago, but in todays web you're limiting yourself by not using something more powerful.

ChronicleGM

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 24, 2004
If you have to reload the webpage to see a change thats not a live update. Just saying.

Honestly you guys using notepad++ for web editing are living in the dark ages. That might have been an adequate application 10 years ago, but in todays web you're limiting yourself by not using something more powerful.

Sorry, what?

When you run XAMPP is acts as an Apache server (HOST) and you can setup 10 websites if you wish.

It has PHP My Admin implemented with various other tools.

You can setup your web files and edit them directly using whatever fancy pants software you wish, as a local host, that is classed as 'live updates' my friend.

Yes the websites arent linked directly to the web but you can develop them from any computer you like.

We aren't in the dark ages at all, tell me one thing visual studio can do that coding from scratch (and learning) cant?

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 5, 2015
Give http://brackets.io/ a go

---------- Post Merged at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:39 AM ----------

And there's plenty of things that VS can do that 'coding from scratch' can't do

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Sorry, what?

When you run XAMPP is acts as an Apache server (HOST) and you can setup 10 websites if you wish.

It has PHP My Admin implemented with various other tools.

You can setup your web files and edit them directly using whatever fancy pants software you wish, as a local host, that is classed as 'live updates' my friend.

Yes the websites arent linked directly to the web but you can develop them from any computer you like.

We aren't in the dark ages at all, tell me one thing visual studio can do that coding from scratch (and learning) cant?

Windows built in IIS does the same thing as XAMPP - a small plugin from PHP scripts and job done.

Never the less, i wasn't talking about a tool to host sites. Pete was inquiring about tools to help make styling and modifying css/html more efficient.

As he mentioned in the first post, he wants a way to see the website update as soon as you change a bit of css - instead of having to refresh the page each time. This is a live update.

Visual Studio has built in CSS pre-proccessing, allowing you to create efficient non repetitive embedded style sheets.

it also has intellisense built in for javascript, and allows web code to be debugged and stepped through.

http://vswebessentials.com/

Don't be so defensive.

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
I have the basics covered just as easy to understand as any other language, I do run xampp locally but that wasn't what I was asking, Far answered my request best.
I did find another application (called Stylizer) for CSS editing but it was rather slow, defeated the purpose of having it.

By live I meant by when adjusting/adding positions, sizes, styles etc it'll update automatically on the web window (think of it as C# form designing visually), I don't have a problem with doing it the way I've been doing it , I just wanted something more visual and not having to keep using chrome.

ChronicleGM

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 24, 2004
Windows built in IIS does the same thing as XAMPP - a small plugin from PHP scripts and job done.

Never the less, i wasn't talking about a tool to host sites. Pete was inquiring about tools to help make styling and modifying css/html more efficient.

As he mentioned in the first post, he wants a way to see the website update as soon as you change a bit of css - instead of having to refresh the page each time. This is a live update.

Visual Studio has built in CSS pre-proccessing, allowing you to create efficient non repetitive embedded style sheets.

it also has intellisense built in for javascript, and allows web code to be debugged and stepped through.

Don't be so defensive.

I'll agree to disagree and I wasn't being defensive, just because I disagreed with your statement, dont post something like that unless you want opinions from other web developers. Like I said earlier its a case of preference in terms of what software you use but good luck with your web ventures.

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK

Don't be so defensive.

This is one of the reasons i prefer to write web pages in ASP.NET. Visual Studio provides great tools now for web development. It even has a design page where you can drag and drop HTML elements etc. I wasn't aware that you could use VS for PHP pages though?

And the web essentials is a great package.