Paragon Infinity [Crystal] Discussion

• Remember! Never use the same account usernames and password across different servers!
smoochy boys on tour

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
Re: Paragon Infinity Mir

is it beta straight into live without wipe or?

a lot of servers take this approach if there isn't any game breaking bugs.
no it won't be like this

release will be in October, not sure when yet, we'll see what is uncovered during beta. theres still a lot to do to perfect it, but the basic game is there

we're thinking about opening the doors this weekend for an alpha build, Hany won't be around but it would be a good chance to get a handful of people online to test the leveling rate, try balance some spells, see what drop rates are like.. any foreseen things for the release that kind of stuff

it is in no way the finished product, thats why we're sceptical of making it open beta and having people log on and go "this is crap this isnt finished etc etc" but at the same time I don't really like having a closed beta.. so hopefully everyone understands that

the beta is for testing only, not to wow you. we're debating if we need to push back by a week because of the above

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014

You lot are so impatient... don't let people rush you.

Some very nice concepts coming out so far.

squall777

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 3, 2004

no it won't be like this

release will be in October, not sure when yet, we'll see what is uncovered during beta. theres still a lot to do to perfect it, but the basic game is there

we're thinking about opening the doors this weekend for an alpha build, Hany won't be around but it would be a good chance to get a handful of people online to test the leveling rate, try balance some spells, see what drop rates are like.. any foreseen things for the release that kind of stuff

it is in no way the finished product, thats why we're sceptical of making it open beta and having people log on and go "this is crap this isnt finished etc etc" but at the same time I don't really like having a closed beta.. so hopefully everyone understands that

the beta is for testing only, not to wow you. we're debating if we need to push back by a week because of the above

I believe you already had some sort of closed betas between your team and couple other people so i dont think a closed beta holds much of a purpose. It never did really.

The more opinions the better even if 99% of them are stupid but its not like you avoid that in closed beta either. Also many people notice difference things. For example i tend to get a general feeling about the rates (lvling and dropping) which imo is pretty accurate usually but i never pay attention to small bugs ranging from spelling mistakes to small quest/npc bugs.

Also from the estimation on release dates u mentioned it sounds like that you are pretty close to your end product so if someone doesn't like what he will see this weekend he probably wont in 2-3 weeks either though i highly doubt that. Its a great and easy way to create some hype because usually your servers have a fun and interesting start so people will enjoy it on a low usercount environment and get super-hyped for the actual release with another 100-200people.

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013

Keep it closed til its in a usable state mate. Invite people you know are gonna just go to town trying to break **** (if you do need more closed testing), and then leave it until you are ready

ChaseyLane

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Paragon Infinity Mir

Just do an open beta mate, if people are too thick to realise that it isn't the finished product yet that's their fault not yours lol

Also you'll have a much more successful beta test with more players too, 5-10 hand picked mates aren't likely to find as many bugs as 50-100 random people are tbh

I'll admit this is abit of a biased view point, as I wanna get in game and try it out haha but the preceding points are still just as valid lol 🤣

Last edited:

ipwnu

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 3, 2015

Does anything ever actually get tested in beta ? People generally just use it to get an advantage over people who didn't bother.

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013

Does anything ever actually get tested in beta ? People generally just use it to get an advantage over people who didn't bother.

I do a lot of proofing as part of my job, and it's not too bad. I like trying to break things, so I normally do yes - literally measuring pixels on Zircon recently.

Generally though I agree with you, but it's not always about specific testing - it's about having enough people on that the chances of a bug occurring will be significantly improved. Although i'm assuming you meant open, but after re-reading it seems obvious you meant closed now. That's why it's important to pick randomly, not from the pool of elites.

squall777

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 3, 2004

In order to find problems on a server you need...to play it perhaps? To play means to hunt, to level, to try doors, to try teleporter, to check boss drops etc etc.

Whats the exact advantage you get over this? That at lvl10-20 you are supposed to hunt in lvl10-20 cave? That lvl30 boss drops lvl30 items? That teleport npc...teleports you to places?

Even if you got some tiny advantage because YOU ACTUALLY DID BOTHER to play something that was gonna be wiped few days later, why is this exactly a problem?

KingCobra92

Untrusted Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 9, 2015

The only "advantage" people get from open beta is being able to try out a class before they commit to it , and knowing which areas they don't need to waste time levelling In.

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004

Sometimes lol.

But ultimately, no.

The best a server can hope for, is the "major" problems are caught by themselves. But most big problems are as simple as trying the feature you've just implemented, and any adjustments thereafter and ensuring it doesn't conflict with other functions if they mingle together at any point.

The small points such as leveling, balancing, stats....is ultimately under their control as well, but without a big base of feedback (Which just doesn't happen unless it's live), you can't correct it properly. At the end of the day, the feedback of 20-30 players is just not enough....unless that is the max player base they expect.

Teams that do the open beta to find these "major" bugs is a waste of time lol. If there are any, the chances are they will be kept secret to those who found it and abused later....this has happened numerous times and it's usually something daft lol.

Small ones are less problematic, but as long as the problem is an undercut of sorts (Such as stats/drops being too low), then fixing this would be simpler as it wouldn't create any disadvantage to newer players. But small problems do not require an open beta.

Last edited:

HotpocketSloth

LOMCN Rookie
Mar 22, 2017

Testing on any server is important that has new features, We have tested instances on FiveHeroes but who knows how it'll handle with a large user count, we have also done very little balance changes towards classes and with the addition of having specific PvP sets and PvE sets how does this affect PvPing.

Obviously we will be balancing pvping around the PvP sets, but do these sets give too much of an advantage against people wearing a full set of PvE gear? and in what circumstances does the PvE geared player have the advantage over the PvP geared player these are all things that can be ironed out within Beta and then continue to improve on.

I fully expect people to have Both a PvE and PvP set and i expect people will want to also mix and match

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom

Sometimes lol.

But ultimately, no.

The best a server can hope for, is the "major" problems are caught by themselves. But most big problems are as simple as trying the feature you've just implemented, and any adjustments thereafter and ensuring it doesn't conflict with other functions if they mingle together at any point.

The small points such as leveling, balancing, stats....is ultimately under their control as well, but without a big base of feedback (Which just doesn't happen unless it's live), you can't correct it properly. At the end of the day, the feedback of 20-30 players is just not enough....unless that is the max player base they expect.

Teams that do the open beta to find these "major" bugs is a waste of time lol. If there are any, the chances are they will be kept and abused later. In this regard they can only prey the problem is not too big that a rewind/fix of the issue will not alienate half the server.

Well to be fair, quite a few people have reported issues that they have found in my alpha/beta statges. However I can agree the majority of people do play to gain advantage.

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004

Well to be fair, quite a few people have reported issues that they have found in my alpha/beta statges. However I can agree the majority of people do play to gain advantage.

No saying people don't....there are some honest people out there, but a worryingly amount of people just don't lol.

Chances are you MAY have a detrimental bug in your files without knowing, and someone may have already found it. But I don't think anything THAT horrible has been found, just small things that are more annoying, than game destroying...but these could also be found in live without causing a wave of problems for the player base.

But of course, you're still in the programming stages.

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa

Literally **** the open Beta, Mail a few people you know and trust on LOMCN to test, Beta's just turn into **** shows if public these days, people spend more time either in sz or trying to find away to expliot once it's live.. Between Ben / Hany / Hotpocket i'm sure yo'll still got some friends kicking about to jump on and Test, i seen Adv has already said he will lend a hand.

Seriously open beta is not the way to go.

squall777

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 3, 2004

So basicly the argument here is that if X player finds an exploit on beta he will use it when live and not report it with obvious results for the server yet if the same X player finds that exploit while the server is live....something different will happen?

If there is something exploitable and an exploiter finds it it will have the exact same results no matter what. However if there are more people playing/looking arround then there is a chance that another more honest player Y will also find it and report it before it goes live.

Such a stupid argument.

The more players that bother to try a beta the better results you will get in every aspect of a server from pvp/pve/leveling/drop balance to small/big bugs reporting.

Of course if the server team just wants to keep it tight with 5-10 people and give those players specific "orders" to test specific things and monitor them 24/7 then yes surely i can respect that.

I was part of the previous closed beta Ben made on 5H. We had various chats and probably improved to some extend the server until it was launched, however we couldnt for example predict the lack of content when 100-150ppl are actually online split in 2-3 caves. A closed beta isn't a realistic simulation of a live server.

Closed beta has litterally no advantages over open beta. Surely you will avoid some moans and some **** feedback from some people but whats the difference if they post the exact same **** 2 weeks after?