Website Development

smoochy boys on tour

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I am looking to create a website and was wondering what software people would recommend?

Cheers!

Coly

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 31, 2005
Germany
That depends on what you want to do and which platform or web-language you prefer.
Everyone has their own way of doing things.
Depending on that, some people use Dreamweaver or just notpad++ for pure web applications.
For example, if you want to use bootstrap, Notpad++ is absolutely sufficient.
Write down what you want to do and which web-language you prefer, then you can get some help. ;-)

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Thanks for the replies, I know I was veery vague as its not something I have done a lot of, I would most likely use a CMS, as even though I do like to learn new stuff, building one from scratch I'd need to learn it as I went a long (already learning C# doing this server)

Coly

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 31, 2005
Germany
Then I would suggest that you choose a CMS.
In this case you can (at least in most cases) do everything yourself via the CMS, without external tools.

If you want to write something yourself, there are many tools...
- Dreamweaver
- PHP Storm
- Visual Studio with extension for ASP. net, PHP, HTML5....
- NotePad++
- Nvu HTML editor
- Phase 5
- PHP Designer
and many more...

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Are there any good CMS out there, and are they quite limiting (since they are simple to use)?
I want a website that does the server justice, and if I can't do that with a CMS I will have to pick up and do it from scratch / outsource it!

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Are there any good CMS out there, and are they quite limiting (since they are simple to use)?
I want a website that does the server justice, and if I can't do that with a CMS I will have to pick up and do it from scratch / outsource it!

Most websites you see nowadays are built with CMS like WordPress or Joomla... not limiting at all; quite the opposite. If this is your first ever site it's going to be a learning curve though. I suggest you start Googling one of those CMS

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Most websites you see nowadays are built with CMS like WordPress or Joomla... not limiting at all; quite the opposite. If this is your first ever site it's going to be a learning curve though. I suggest you start Googling one of those CMS

Ahh good to know!

Thanks for the help, I shall take a look.

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
As tai said, I found it easier to use WordPress as at the point I didn't have any knowledge of web development nor the time to study it, I had an old friend I played Mir 2 with help me for account registration as well as the server status.

As time went on I needed more functions on my website to display information from the Games database so I began of by pulling the information to display on client end.

Now I have an User | Admin control panel which interacts with the games database (changing password, automated payments and so on..)
I've even begun modifying the WordPress templates to suite our needs, eventually though I would like to create our own website(s) from scratch, I just don't do visuals.. unless it's stick men.. I'm confident I can do those, I think.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
the fact your asking suggests you have little knowledge, you should use WordPress or something similar.

it's so easy, and hassle-free, once setup its fairly easy to change styles too,

@LightBringer want an installtion to test/mess about with? let me know :)

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
It depends on your current web development knowledge.

There are pros and cons with all web platforms but my personal choice would be ASP.NET because that's the platform i know best. Also because it integrates well with MSSQL and it is the most secure platform due to the core parts of the code are executed on server side. Oh and you can use tools like Visual Studio to debug everything.

But that does not mean it's the best choice for you. PHP is a more commonly used web language because it's not quite as complex as ASP.NET. It's quite easy to pick up and use.
My guess is that if this is your first website then you probably won't be needing complex code. So maybe try using Wordpress and PHP like others have suggested.

Silencer

Comedian
Golden Oldie
Feb 9, 2008
LOMCN HQ with Tai, eating bagels.
WP is what I always use, purely for the fact I am also relatively inexperienced - but due to the amount of people who use it, you can find tutorials for everything you need - literally, start a Wordpress, then YouTube, Google and Reddit everything you want to do, and the majority of the Plugins/Code you'll want, has already been created by someone much better at it than you.

AKA - fake it, till you make it.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Yeah I am going to create it through Wordpress, seems to be the one with the most help / tutorials, got my website plan, now to just sort it all out!

Again cheers all.

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
That website has helped me with the majority of what I've been doing so far.

+1 to that. I still find myself going back to it now when i want to refresh my memory of how to do it. One thing i really like with that site is you can test your code on it. Very useful to see how CSS will work.