Other map files open with photo viewer

smoochy boys on tour

Auds

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 14, 2007
hi,

pulling my hair out at moment, accidentally clicked open with photo viewer. now all my maps on all clients and server files wont load.

anyone please direct me on how to resolve this. want them back to normal.

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
Assuming windows 10, right click a map file, scroll down and select "properties".
Under the General tab, locate and click the Change button in the second block down, scroll/search for your required app.

There are other ways but try this first.

Upvote 0

Auds

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 14, 2007
hi,

yes windows 10, i tried this but only shows photo viewer - paint etc, cant seem to get the files back to their original state.

wonder if there's an app i can download.

Upvote 0

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
whats the file extensions?

if its .map then run command and paste...

Code:
reg delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.map\UserChoice
reg delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.map\OpenWithProgids

if all fails go to that location in the regedit, and delete the .map folders

Upvote 0

Auds

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 14, 2007
tried the above as you suggested, but still the same :(

tried to open with photo viewer wont show as .map file shows as a photo image file.

tried loading a server (Chronicles) and works, but my offline server wont. Server launch program will not load maps.

Upvote 0

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
is the extension .map ?

it should work... that's where the registry is stored for the extensions, you need to remove both.

Another thing I've read is making your own one.. e.g save a text file as .abcd or something, then open the maps with that, then delete it...

Upvote 0

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Having an application assigned to an extension will make no difference with an application like a mir client opening it.

That is purely for windows to know what program to open when you double click the file.

If your maps arent loading in your mir client the issue is elsewhere, not what youve assigned the extension to.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Auds

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 14, 2007
just found out the cause, thanks for all the help i do appreciate it.

stupidly swapped Map folders with another server being made which has no maps. :) all done now

Upvote 0