Quick question: Pure Pvp or pure PVE

smoochy boys on tour

PvP like a baus? Or PvE like a baus?

• Total voters

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
That's because there is no such thing as a choice of two. There is always a 3rd option.

What if Neo decided to take both pills? What would happen then?

Pfff only sensible answer on here, merci!

@Koriban: Presuming you just missed the tongue in cheek nature of my post, allow me to address seriously. MMO genre has plenty of both categories (only pvp and only pve) - it's a non-relevant question for MOST mir servers yes, but not Mir in general nor mmo's. The whole purpose of the question is basically 'cause I'm ****ing fed up of the 'people only play mir for pvp' when there are hundreds (or maybe like, 5, whatever) more in the pve camp.

Your comment today also came at a time when someone in my office has, for the 15th time, avoided a question by bringing up a non-disclosed answer (on a desert island survival situation would you prefer access to various edible fauna or flora, and the answer they chose was some ridiculous loophole >_<) clearly just trying to trump everyone with the cleverness. We loves the 'this or that in xyz situation' in our office.

The blend of both is the obvious appeal, I realise this. It was a thread bore of frustration making people make a ****ing choice if they had to.

---------- Post Merged at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Poll Edited, no need for the crap you put on there!

Your actions today have dealt with a problem that made it impossible for people to read the poll.

On a serious note I can't recall seeing anyone moan or complain about it. Didn't realise it wasn't allowed to be honest.

Last edited:

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
@Koriban: Presuming you just missed the tongue in cheek nature of my post, allow me to address seriously. MMO genre has plenty of both categories (only pvp and only pve) - it's a non-relevant question for MOST mir servers yes, but not Mir in general nor mmo's. The whole purpose of the question is basically 'cause I'm ****ing fed up of the 'people only play mir for pvp' when there are hundreds (or maybe like, 5, whatever) more in the pve camp.

Your comment today also came at a time when someone in my office has, for the 15th time, avoided a question by bringing up a non-disclosed answer (on a desert island survival situation would you prefer access to various edible fauna or flora, and the answer they chose was some ridiculous loophole >_<) clearly just trying to trump everyone with the cleverness. We loves the 'this or that in xyz situation' in our office.

The blend of both is the obvious appeal, I realise this. It was a thread bore of frustration making people make a ****ing choice if they had to.

Your actions today have dealt with a problem that made it impossible for people to read the poll.

You know, if you read my first post, I did actually give you your answer, despite the ridicule of the question :P

I'd be interested to know what MMO that is purely PvP or purely PvE though that you think is successful. I'm unware of any.

But to address your issue at heart: I agree with you, "Mir only for PvP" is a farce. A good Mir server will implement PvP into a well structured PvE game. Or rather; The "Good PvP" fights happen because there's such good PvE content.

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
You know, if you read my first post, I did actually give you your answer, despite the ridicule of the question :P

I'd be interested to know what MMO that is purely PvP or purely PvE though that you think is successful. I'm unware of any.

But to address your issue at heart: I agree with you, "Mir only for PvP" is a farce. A good Mir server will implement PvP into a well structured PvE game. Or rather; The "Good PvP" fights happen because there's such good PvE content.

To be fair, In ever said anything about you not answering. You haven't signed the poll however, maybe now that Daneo has cleared up the poll options to his own taste you can do so lol.

And again, not be argumentative, but I never qualified they had to be successful. It will heavily depend on whether you mean mmorpg I guess (you didn't say MMORPG so I assume not). but most mobas are pvp only - other than that though I have to admit they're aren't that many PVP only outside of ****ing card games (altohugh that strengthens the argument against 'we only care about pvp). A lot of the more obscure browser ones, which are still fairly substantial will have pve only. Let's not forget that the vast majority of core, successful MMO's separated the two things entirely FF14 for example, and WoW (excl. PVP servers).

I think it all amounts to the same thing though, and that we agree. It was intentionally a topic set up entirely for that discussion if I think about it. Next time someone uses the 'we all know no one gives a **** about pve' we can at least have something to point at whilst we point them with a sharp stick...

As a side note, if we gave a proper pvp system, where players are equalised before entering a controlled environment to fight.... I do wonder how many would still enjoy it. Probably the majority I guess, but I bet they'd still be a fair few who wouldn't..... the irony being that they are self qualified 'pvpers' after relying so heavily on the pve to give them an advantage. Has it ever been done on a server that you know of?

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
if there was a mir PVP server... no PvE I'd play it.. but how would people improve? kills? what if your ****?

remember guild wars, pve/pvp worked together ,but on different characters, would be nice for something like that, but surely impossible.

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
If I had to do a PVP thing, it would be competing for glamours only I guess. Or items that are specific statted for PVP onlyto be used in PVP.

If you are ****, then you are ****. That's your problem, not the stats or the gear. With only like 6 players competing on most servers however, it's not really something that can be sectioned off in Mir.

Guild wars were PVP, as players directly influenced the other users (imo at least). Pve would have been if they were fighting a mob with set HP trying to do the most damage on a 'side/team' basis

EDIT: Hang on, you might have meant 'Guild Wars' as in the game actually. I never played it myself I don't think, so dunno much about it

Last edited:

Exwizz

Legend
Legendary
Feb 1, 2010
Newcastle
any server without PvP wont last, and any server with hardly any player encounters wont last.

PvE is needed for drops/levels and what not.

PvP is needed for competition / entertainment ( requires a high user count )

the main reason all these low user count servers die out is the lack of player encounters / PvP

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
any server without PvP wont last, and any server with hardly any player encounters wont last.

PvE is needed for drops/levels and what not.

PvP is needed for competition / entertainment ( requires a high user count )

the main reason all these low user count servers die out is the lack of player encounters / PvP

Yeah, I know. Couldn't agree more, but that wasn't the point of the thread. It was just really trying to get people to think about what one would be without the other, by pseudo forcing a choice. So actually I guess it kinda was the point of the thread. Bah, who knows. PvP in itself is always a worthy discussion though, so it's all good i guess.

Exwizz

Legend
Legendary
Feb 1, 2010
Newcastle
Yeah, I know. Couldn't agree more, but that wasn't the point of the thread. It was just really trying to get people to think about what one would be without the other, by pseudo forcing a choice. So actually I guess it kinda was the point of the thread. Bah, who knows. PvP in itself is always a worthy discussion though, so it's all good i guess.

honestly i can't see a game without both, would be interesting thou PvP side for me at least.

cctv8884

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Nov 19, 2012
No background, no further clarification.

The gods have forced you to play a new server. One server has ONLY PvP, one server has ONLY PvE.

Which do you decide?

Did you do the todo?! Keep your rotten mouth shut!

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
Only way i could ever see PVP only Mir server working would for there to be some kind of ranking system as you progress through you would only be able to fight people in your rank ( Skill based match making in a way i guess ) with Skins for your weapon / armours / glows are rewards.. This being said i just really don't think theres enough English speaking Mir players left to make this Viable, Ranks are only fun when your vs tens of thousands or more IMO.

i 100% enjoy PVP a lot more in MIr but it would be **** without PVE as so many people enjoy it and would make it die but tbh i'm a FPS sort of guy PVP is my thing, like i think CS would fail hard if they tried to put in some sort of PVE game mode vs zombies or something to get your rank up, it just needs to stay PVP based.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
go U **** your big black pen ?

Not sure if Google translate is fully accurate with this translation.

That translation is quite wrong. Note it's not even translating the first part.
Tho without proper accents i have no idea what hes trying to say.

Something along the lines of F.uck your mothers 'something(dirty?)' c.unt... Maybe.

Hope that's not right, been far too long since i used Pinyin. Bit harsh if it is!

Last edited:

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
That translation is quite wrong. Note it's not even translating the first part.
Tho without proper accents i have no idea what hes trying to say.

Something along the lines of F.uck your mothers 'something(dirty?)' c.unt... Maybe.

Hope that's not right, been far too long since i used Pinyin. Bit harsh if it is!

****ing disgusting, I know for a fact that she washes at least twice a week.

Honestly no idea how he hasn't even been warned or anything however. His posts this week have been ridiculous and over the top, even for LOMCN. Thought Daneo would have been on it like a car bonnet.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
It's just a best guess based on context to be fair.
The phonetics need the accents, as there are numerous meanings for each. As far as i learned at least.