Content writers and Web developers

Risen28

LOMCN Rookie
Aug 20, 2017
south africa
I KNow tis is kind of off topic but i need some advice from experienced web developers and business people.

ive recently come across a issue , i developed a website for a client, its been a few months ans the client cant seem to make u her mind in what she wants for her website. I offered advice as a have a decent knowledge of SEO , social marketing and all the rest ( you kind of have to when you are competing in serps for web design queries because all of your competition knows seo too ).

Anyway she enlisted the services of a content writer , i went and looked up the site of this person , a WordPress site ,not even fully responsive , using a yoast plugin.

I phoned her since we were now to collaborate , i had no issue with this but over the phone she told me i need to supply her links of my work, so she can see if i can work with her !!! i was insulted. I need to prove myself to somebody who clearly doesnt know what they are doing. My seo and content is far Superior to hers , the site i had created for my client has Superior structure and ranking than this "Seo Content Writer" site.

She then told me hat if she uses another developer my footer credits will be removed , fortunately this woman never paid in full for her website and i am now going to decline the rest and take the site back as i have 3 clients waiting for websites.

My question is in future if somebody has paid in full can a content writer contract another developer and simply remove my copyright on the page? Because i have worked with one before and i know they sub contract to developers. Is there a clause i can add to my contract to protect me from this?

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
We have no way of answering that without seeing the contract.
However, the bottom line is unless it explicitly says in the contract that the 'footer' must be kept intact...

Your 'copyright' ends with the original elements you created. Again, depending on what the contract states.
Unless your willing to spend a large sum of money taking it to court, just accept it and move on.

Last edited:

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
If the customer never gave you content, what's the likelihood the new person is going to get any.
Unless you host the site, I'd back away and leave it.
Send the customer a bill for your work and any hosting charges etc., and move on.

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
I phoned her since we were now to collaborate , i had no issue with this but over the phone she told me i need to supply her links of my work, so she can see if i can work with her !!! i was insulted. I need to prove myself to somebody who clearly doesnt know what they are doing. My seo and content is far Superior to hers , the site i had created for my client has Superior structure and ranking than this "Seo Content Writer" site.

In my opinion and quite possibly many other people it's better to see previous work to give a good idea on you skills, you can't just go off "I make awesome websites, better than anyone else" that'd be just daft, I wouldn't take it as an insult, just people being careful, it is the internet after all.

Risen28

LOMCN Rookie
Aug 20, 2017
south africa
Perhaps, i see some say i should have given here examples of my work which i eventually did

. But like i said content writers usually have web designers they work with , so i knew the chances were slim. Anyway thanks for that replies , i have since changes my contract.
Stating that the link is to remain intact , unless all of my content, design and coding is removed completely , by paying the deposit they accept these terms ect ect.

I am however not unreasonable , if we didnt click , sometimes you get clients with whom you cant really agree, ive only had one sofar but im guessing it wont be my last.

Seeing i had done lots of work for her and didnt charge properly im actually glad shes gone, i see its a good few months now and the website is still unchanged, perhaps she is doing the same thing to the next client.

Another thing occurred what if this new developer makes a really crappy site by editing mine/ hers that i actually dont want my footer link on lol.

Perhaps best to just let this one go.

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
Another thing occurred what if this new developer makes a really crappy site by editing mine/ hers that i actually dont want my footer link on lol.

Perhaps best to just let this one go.

You could have your footer section take remote info. If the site fails to remove your footer, you can remove it or change the info to reflect the current scenario.

Risen28

LOMCN Rookie
Aug 20, 2017
south africa
Still beats a first post server help question.

He even got the section correct!.

Lmao did i raise or lower the bar ? Most spammers wouldnt write that much .... i could have asked what is css ? or what is a framework ? maybe even What is the use of a column layout in css ? :tranquillity: