Map size and performance

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I have no idea how the client (Crystal) is actually loading the map elements. However, I'm just wondering if large map size is going to have any inherent impact on performance.

When i say large, I'm talking 3k+

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
I have no idea how the client (Crystal) is actually loading the map elements. However, I'm just wondering if large map size is going to have any inherent impact on performance.

I believe its always been limited to 999x999, i assume you mean 3000x3000.

You also need to take account coordinate systems on files allowing 4 digits per x and y axis on interface. Personally i think you’re getting too experimental, a 900x900 map is plenty.

As for limit file wise irrc on older files massive spawnss did lag files but crystal are different, altho i’ve not seen a map with every npc and mob ingame loaded on it, i could imagine it may cause a little spat

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire

The only maps that impact the performance on the client end (this is purely down to the clean up delay on the client) are ones which have animated objects which is solved by simply reducing the delay within the Settings.cs on the client end, they were my findings at least.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I believe its always been limited to 999x999, i assume you mean 3000x3000.
I've managed to make/use 2000x2000 but that's as far as i can go apparently. With 5k RAM free i get an out of memory exception error if i try to save a map that is any larger. Co-ordinates work fine on the UI.

VSUe0P.jpg

I'm still busy making objects at the moment, it was just a random thought i had. In terms of aesthetics 900x900 really doesn't suffice when trying to incorporate 'dungeons' or anything interesting for that matter into the outdoor maps. If the 'hunting areas are too small, it will just be ****.

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to manage the areas. I can use smaller maps with overlapping transition points for a flawless transition on screen, but that messes up the big map view.

Edit: I need to understand how the big map works better. At what point is your location defined?
If i was to, for example merge 4 maps into the single big map image, is there a way to re-position the 'you are here' marker correctly?

Last edited:

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
I've managed to make/use 2000x2000 but that's as far as i can go apparently. With 5k RAM free i get an out of memory exception error if i try to save a map that is any larger. Co-ordinates work fine on the UI.

2z9kswn.png

I'm still busy making objects at the moment, it was just a random thought i had. In terms of aesthetics 900x900 really doesn't suffice when trying to incorporate 'dungeons' or anything interesting for that matter into the outdoor maps. If the 'hunting areas are too small, it will just be ****.

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to manage the areas. I can use smaller maps with overlapping transition points for a flawless transition on screen, but that messes up the big map view.

I applaud you on your efforts of going where mappers have tried and failed before but, I learnt over time no matter how much these guys say oh yea we love that it looks awesome that detail that ooo, that wow... they'll log in, run around and its gone. Its just an anti climax from 1st login, (unless your iceman on his HZ, 6+ years he's been sitting on that heap of crap :P)

Does something like Jamie's done on zircon not negate that issue? I think looking at how maps are presented ingame could fix your view on the situation. This could also allow dungeons etc to be hidden until maps etc are found.

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003
I applaud you on your efforts of going where mappers have tried and failed before but, I learnt over time no matter how much these guys say oh yea we love that it looks awesome that detail that ooo, that wow... they'll log in, run around and its gone. Its just an anti climax from 1st login, (unless your iceman on his HZ, 6+ years he's been sitting on that heap of crap :P)

Does something like Jamie's done on zircon not negate that issue? I think looking at how maps are presented ingame could fix your view on the situation. This could also allow dungeons etc to be hidden until maps etc are found.

I like that HZ map you made SD!

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014

It's not a failure if i enjoyed the creating process and the outcome :)

I honestly have never seen anyone try to create an open world, as opposed to simply using provinces as hubs for linear, segregated progression areas/caves. I'd be interested to see some examples. There is however more to it than just a map, but i'm not going to give that away just yet.

Ill take a look at how Jamie has done his maps, tho I'm not sure how useful it will be as he has coded his from scratch, and I'm no coder.

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
It's not a failure if i enjoyed the creating process and the outcome :)

I honestly have never seen anyone try to create an open world, as opposed to simply using provinces as hubs for linear, segregated progression areas/caves. I'd be interested to see some examples. There is however more to it than just a map, but i'm not going to give that away just yet.

Ill take a look at how Jamie has done his maps, tho I'm not sure how useful it will be as he has coded his from scratch, and I'm no coder.
Once upon a time I was attempting a multi purpose map which would have held a province and caves, this was in like 1.4-2.3 days I'd lost the map somewhere along the way, likely when I got a new machine.

It'll work providing you can get the objects and tiles to transition from one to another.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Once upon a time I was attempting a multi purpose map which would have held a province and caves, this was in like 1.4-2.3 days I'd lost the map somewhere along the way, likely when I got a new machine.

It'll work providing you can get the objects and tiles to transition from one to another.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

If you're saying what I think - I tried mid-caver by putting in doors but you saw otherside (little like some BDD maps), but it would be a different map, but you'd just see a cliff wall.

I have also spoke with iJam once about making doorways into caves being fluid with no map change, but would require custom tiles and at time we didn't have a map edit that allowed, now its more do-able with some photoshop tile edits.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
The only thing with maps like this, would be random teleporting as you could end up RTing half way through a cave when on a map (unless you stop RTs altogether or if there is a way to restrict where you can RT on a specific map...

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
If you're saying what I think - I tried mid-caver by putting in doors but you saw otherside (little like some BDD maps), but it would be a different map, but you'd just see a cliff wall.

I have also spoke with iJam once about making doorways into caves being fluid with no map change, but would require custom tiles and at time we didn't have a map edit that allowed, now its more do-able with some photoshop tile edits.

Managed to find the thread I made!

http://www.lomcn.org/forum/showthread.php?46579-What-would-you-think-about-this

---------- Post Merged at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:10 AM ----------

The only thing with maps like this, would be random teleporting as you could end up RTing half way through a cave when on a map (unless you stop RTs altogether or if there is a way to restrict where you can RT on a specific map...

That's very possible on Crystal files, checking if the player is < x or < y it'll be MapPart0 and > x or > y would be MapPart1, just involves a bit of code.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Actually saw that post before, but no, that's not what i intend to do,

I don't see any benefit to integrating indoor areas into the open map area like that, it doesn't really serve any purpose. A cave entrance transition where applicable is perfectly acceptable and doesn't deter from my ideal. The outdoor hunting areas will have an outdoor theme.