Copyrights and how to relunch the game.

Hells

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 17, 2005
Mir, mir mir mir.
Think about it.
Kids now days, they grow up playing WoW and other type of silly crazy weird ass games, not hardcore hard games like we played mir2, searching for a DSS for days.

If mir what ever, can be adjusted to today taste of the market, it may have success.

However, i do know a way how to get revenue from mir, but i would need a team to help me develop a mobile version for mir.
Once revenue is obtained, the deep development of mir can continue, but seeing this forum, nothing much has changed.

xDDD
except me. Hells.

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
^ Did you just say Mir was hardcore and Wow wasn't ? Wow came out like 4 years After Mir did lol it's one of the older games and tbh isn't massively popular anymore. Also people went way harder on WoW than Mir just down to the amount of ££ to be made on official WoW compared to Mir.

Trollypolly

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 19, 2014
People (us) don't play Mir for it's advanced functionality, clever AI's and amazing graphics. We found a game 14/15 (16?) years ago that we fell in love with and we continue to play it purely for nostalgia.
Sam

- Correct.

Any and all attempts to radically change (or even improve) Mir, will likely be faced with the harsh reality that Mir doesn't attract new players and the old players just want the same old content (even if they don't think they do), myself included here, 0-40 is gold for me.
Sam

- Huh? You know about Conquera? I bet that game will not only attract new players but old ones too. This just further shows that Mir needs a remake.

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
Conquera isn't even doing that great from what i've heard and i don't see why it would attract old players as it feels and looks nothing like Mir, it's closer to Diablo.

Trollypolly

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 19, 2014
Conquera isn't even doing that great from what i've heard and i don't see why it would attract old players as it feels and looks nothing like Mir, it's closer to Diablo.

Maps, Skills and Mobs are what people will prob be looking for at first glance of nostalgia to see how the 2D transferred over to 3D and if they will accept said change and continue to play it.

On top of it all, the game is getting upgraded from 15 years of very bad controls and gameplay and you don't think vet players will try it?

Last edited:

Pusha

Playing Legend Of Mir 6
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England

As a Vet euro player I did enjoy the first 30-60 minutes of Conquera, definitely gave me that nostalgic feeling, but after a while it just seems to drop off a bit, the game doesn't feel smooth at all, could be my connection or PC, and the chat system is awful now, is Arcadia worth playing guys

btw this thread gives me a glimmer of hope for Mir to make a half decent comeback lol

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
Arcadia is only worth if you have good friends level 145+ Willing to level you / kit you / give you spells and you have to put a **** loads of time in... Or just chuck a few 1,000£ at Scorpion and get it that way.

Silencer

Comedian
Golden Oldie
Feb 9, 2008
LOMCN HQ with Tai, eating bagels.
People (us) don't play Mir for it's advanced functionality, clever AI's and amazing graphics. We found a game 14/15 (16?) years ago that we fell in love with and we continue to play it purely for nostalgia.

Any and all attempts to radically change (or even improve) Mir, will likely be faced with the harsh reality that Mir doesn't attract new players and the old players just want the same old content (even if they don't think they do), myself included here, 0-40 is gold for me.

More to the original question, I am not sure who own's the actual copyright now, WeMade are certainly the original creators, I suspect Shanda also own their own copyright (due to difference in images and code) and ygonline I think may just have a license with WeMade (but I am not sure). As far as I am aware the license cost is around £100,000pa and this does not include source code; the license includes a set of exes only and there is no license to enable a "group of software engineers" to be able to enhance Mir.

Basically Mir in the west will never make 100k a year so you will always run at a deficit, and the lack of source code will mean you are stuck waiting for WeMade to release binaries, which in my opinion is an unsustainable model for the west and it is likely why they couldn't care about our private servers.

:)

Sam

How much then? Tell us how much! :P

awesome

Microsoft
Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
the image files are copyrighted and anytime they want to shut the private servers down, they can

the private servers, client downloads are distribution of copyrighted material

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003

More to the original question, I am not sure who own's the actual copyright now, WeMade are certainly the original creators, I suspect Shanda also own their own copyright (due to difference in images and code) and ygonline I think may just have a license with WeMade (but I am not sure). As far as I am aware the license cost is around £100,000pa and this does not include source code; the license includes a set of exes only and there is no license to enable a "group of software engineers" to be able to enhance Mir.

Basically Mir in the west will never make 100k a year so you will always run at a deficit, and the lack of source code will mean you are stuck waiting for WeMade to release binaries, which in my opinion is an unsustainable model for the west and it is likely why they couldn't care about our private servers.

:)

Sam

Yd Online now owns mir 2 / mir 3 korean.
http://en.ydonline.co.kr/?p=3726

MoltenDrip

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 30, 2012
Colorado

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
the image files are copyrighted and anytime they want to shut the private servers down, they can

the private servers, client downloads are distribution of copyrighted material

So to cut a long story short, if the powers decided to re release an official over here then they would firstly shut down all the private servers which would cost a lot of ppl money...ouch!

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
So to cut a long story short, if the powers decided to re release an official over here then they would firstly shut down all the private servers which would cost a lot of ppl money...ouch!

lol after 15 years I can comfortably say that's never going to happen. We've had scares in the past with the likes of GamePot but we're still here.

XloverBoy7X

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 4, 2010
Dundee
As far i know mir was hosted by GN, failed, then QGO, failed, then GN again and failed again, so did the USA version, same the version hosted in South Korea for the western market, and no i'm not whoever you think you are so save yourself the drama. I know this forum long time because it used to host private servers. The officail sites that used to host mir are all offine or are parking banners. Actoz and wemade don't see to be contactable. So an official version is still running? And where is it? Mir was some of the most succesfull games but it was a big failure on the wester market. I remember the license used to cost 1.000.000 euros without the patches. If you have some informations i would appreciate it. Thanks.

It was 20 000£ a month last time I checked, you don't buy u rent it.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
lol after 15 years I can comfortably say that's never going to happen. We've had scares in the past with the likes of GamePot but we're still here.

You're right, they aren't going to care about people using 15 year old assets over here, especially when the market has moved on. If they were even attempting to market in the west it would be another story. No doubt they are still taking down servers now, atleast in the East.

On the other hand, HMRC would happily show a special interest in certain individuals here, given a nudge.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Only a really sad person would take the time to report the server owner though..

If you're a server owner whos raking in cash you'd be very short sighted not declaring it to HMRC.