HispaRed Mir 2
Likes Likes:  9
    Apocalypse Team DiabloVodkaShot's Avatar

Coding for Fun - MirUnity

Hi Guys,

So over the past god knows how long, myself and a friend have been playing around in unity, trying to port files over. Little knowledge and proffessional experience in coding, i would say we have come quite far.

We have put together a video, to show the progress we made and thought we would share it with you guys, as there may be people interested in unity or not!

Please note - it is far from perfect.

Disclaimer: This will not be a server! Before anybody jumps on about it. It is simply going to be a little bit of fun, which we may release source to if its of any benefit to anybody.

Main Perks of Unity: Cross Platform!

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/HyJIF9Z6X0s

2. HispaRed
  3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2

Re: Coding for Fun - MirUnity

interesting project, keep it up

[OO\Skyline/OO]

nice work keep good work mate

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4

Unity can be great, but I can see the frame lag in the movement, for unity you should convert the frames into an actual sprite sheet, are you still using a lib?

Totally agree, we converted the character movements into a sprite sheet but kept items in a lib format.

We are still looking into why its not as smooth, i suggest its something to-do with the way the maps are loading.

Nice try man!

---------- Post Merged at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:57 PM ----------

BTW I would suggest using godot instead of unity to do this project since godot is better for handling 2d game

---------- Post Merged at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:01 PM ----------

BTW I would suggest using godot instead of unity to do this project since godot is better for handling 2d game

Nice project.

Did you try java? i got a small built for java with slick2d
    Zentaur [미르 3] [和平号3]
    Register Link : http://zed.ro/registration_ZentaurX.php
    Download Link : https://mega.nz/#!ligzHBAZ!NWv6tsXxo...dW_LdWhZffaDc0

Quote Originally Posted by zedina View Post
    Nice project.

Did you try java? i got a small built for java with slick2d
    ]We didn't go down the java route, but would be interesting to see what you came up with.

I did make an attempt about 6 months ago, at a 3d version, but after finding that the maps alone took the piss and we couldn't achieve the same quality after completing BW i gave up.

Few Pics i found on harddrive: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ggjj0uiu6...QyNul94-a?dl=0
    Last edited by DiabloVodkaShot; 07-12-2017 at 12:54 PM.

10.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #9

I have not messed with Unity much, but it looks like you are doing one draw for each sprite, instead of rendering to a surface then performing one draw, this is called surface or render target, how you achieve this in Unity i am not sure, perhaps there is some sorting groups, also for tiles you don't need to render every time, you only need to re-draw them when the map coordinates change, this has a huge overhead if you render it every draw.

Quote Originally Posted by kyndigs View Post
    I have not messed with Unity much, but it looks like you are doing one draw for each sprite, instead of rendering to a surface then performing one draw, this is called surface or render target, how you achieve this in Unity i am not sure, perhaps there is some sorting groups, also for tiles you don't need to render every time, you only need to re-draw them when the map coordinates change, this has a huge overhead if you render it every draw.
    What i am finding from research is that you can't control drawing in unity.... there are no actual draw commands.But yeh obviously there are areas where performance can be increased

its not a game just an example that is all.