New Mir Project

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
I have been holding off on posting this for quite some time, mainly due to whenever I do post something i get bombarded with requests. As some of you might know I live in Asia now for work so I am on an 8 hour time difference so handling constant requests is a nightmare, and is why you don't see me around much.

Anyway, last Christmas on my trip home to the UK to visit, I had a 13 hour flight ahead of me, which got delayed in Dubai for a day, bored I had an idea based on something else I was working on, that was to create a new Mir2 to keep the core dynamics that make the game but to make everything else more flexible and plugin capable without much development, it is what is called an Entity Component System.

So i broke out my laptop and started developing to see if it could work, first breaking down all of mir into manageable high level components, then further breaking down into lower level components, this is no easy task and to be honest with a 24hr wait in an airport, i probably would never have done something this boring and intensive, but I did, here is the high level components.

PIySNgj.png

Now what the hell are these? These a decoupled and have no dependency on the core of the game, they work independently of themselves, and an Actor such as a monster, subscribes to components and just works (with a bit of magic).

epnNvtq.png

What is the point of this? Simple decoupling the game and dependencies means code is simpler and less buggy etc. But, allows users to easily code custom plugins simply by creating and dynamically loading new components.

Now what about the game, I will be developing the game up to standard mir, with everything as default, including core gameplay etc. Everything will be centrally managed on the new web admin platform, from here you can manage EVERYTHING for your server even from your phone, and yes this will include map editing online.

WNKOd8t.png

I7u6aME.png

There will be no more SQL it uses NO-SQL document database, here is a sample of the structure for maps.

F5CqYhc.png

Now lastly, I don't have any time frames on this, I have developed all the core game play and systems, now I move on to the rest, and build the entire platform. I am open to ideas and suggestions just don't bombard me with silly requests like "send me files pls". I wont release the files till I am ready, I am aiming for March next year tentatively, I am happy to give people access to my server to play around and report bugs they find.

I want to bring mir into the new century, and provide a way for all of your to manage and build much more flexible content and servers without reliance on developers, I am not doing this for money, these files will be free to do with as you please.

Here is a few things I would love to also do if anyone wants to help on the side.

• Graphics uplift (would be amazing to recreate all the imaging to 32bit vectors, unlikely though)
  • New sounds

Thanks, look forward to everyone's feedback and ideas.

Tentative Name: SodaMir2, just because I was drinking a can of Irn Bru at the time :)

Reactions: Emzie

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
You called?

---

WPF or WinForm. The interface looked interesting, almost like a windows App style.

Are you using a control package or standard win controls?

Custom components, Mir controls are inherently simple, packages usually have way too much **** for what you actually need, so I wrote a custom scene management and control system.

---------- Post Merged at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:17 AM ----------

He's a Microsoft bum boy that's why. FIGHT!

Your just jealous I'm still in Asia!

ChronicleGM

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 24, 2004
Very good project, keep it up. I will look forward to see what this is like.

One point though, if you want to bring this game into this century, graphics update is a major component, without this it will just be another set of mir files with better backend management.

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
Very good project, keep it up. I will look forward to see what this is like.

One point though, if you want to bring this game into this century, graphics update is a major component, without this it will just be another set of mir files with better backend management.

Exactly, I think official files will have an update soon based on what I have read some of their forums.

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
Custom components, Mir controls are inherently simple, packages usually have way too much **** for what you actually need, so I wrote a custom scene management and control system.

Judging from your response I believe you think I was talking about the client?, Mir Controls would only relate to the client.

I was referring to. WPF, WinForm or is it a Metro app? None of these appear to be standard controls and seems like a lot of effort to build custom controls for this.

attachment.php

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
Judging from your response I believe you think I was talking about the client?, Mir Controls would only relate to the client.

I was referring to. WPF, WinForm or is it a Metro app? None of these appear to be standard controls and seems like a lot of effort to build custom controls for this.

attachment.php

That is just a web front-end, mixture of bootstrap and jquery running in the browser, I just snipped chrome from the screenshot.

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
Machine learning AI would also be good, a developer on Unity just posted an interesting blog post. Maybe something you can build in? Will this be closed source?

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
Machine learning AI would also be good, a developer on Unity just posted an interesting blog post. Maybe something you can build in? Will this be closed source?

The core will be closed, I will open up the components for customization and development. Kind of the way .NET Framework is closed but partially open for some of the namespaces.

DjDarkBoyZ

Dev
Golden Oldie
Aug 11, 2006
127.Ø.Ø.1
I have been holding off on posting this for quite some time, mainly due to whenever I do post something i get bombarded with requests. As some of you might know I live in Asia now for work so I am on an 8 hour time difference so handling constant requests is a nightmare, and is why you don't see me around much.

Anyway, last Christmas on my trip home to the UK to visit, I had a 13 hour flight ahead of me, which got delayed in Dubai for a day, bored I had an idea based on something else I was working on, that was to create a new Mir2 to keep the core dynamics that make the game but to make everything else more flexible and plugin capable without much development, it is what is called an Entity Component System.

So i broke out my laptop and started developing to see if it could work, first breaking down all of mir into manageable high level components, then further breaking down into lower level components, this is no easy task and to be honest with a 24hr wait in an airport, i probably would never have done something this boring and intensive, but I did, here is the high level components.

View attachment 19166

Now what the hell are these? These a decoupled and have no dependency on the core of the game, they work independently of themselves, and an Actor such as a monster, subscribes to components and just works (with a bit of magic).

View attachment 19167

What is the point of this? Simple decoupling the game and dependencies means code is simpler and less buggy etc. But, allows users to easily code custom plugins simply by creating and dynamically loading new components.

Now what about the game, I will be developing the game up to standard mir, with everything as default, including core gameplay etc. Everything will be centrally managed on the new web admin platform, from here you can manage EVERYTHING for your server even from your phone, and yes this will include map editing online.

View attachment 19168

View attachment 19169

There will be no more SQL it uses NO-SQL document database, here is a sample of the structure for maps.

View attachment 19170

Now lastly, I don't have any time frames on this, I have developed all the core game play and systems, now I move on to the rest, and build the entire platform. I am open to ideas and suggestions just don't bombard me with silly requests like "send me files pls". I wont release the files till I am ready, I am aiming for March next year tentatively, I am happy to give people access to my server to play around and report bugs they find.

I want to bring mir into the new century, and provide a way for all of your to manage and build much more flexible content and servers without reliance on developers, I am not doing this for money, these files will be free to do with as you please.

Here is a few things I would love to also do if anyone wants to help on the side.

• Graphics uplift (would be amazing to recreate all the imaging to 32bit vectors, unlikely though)
  • New sounds

Thanks, look forward to everyone's feedback and ideas.

Tentative Name: SodaMir2, just because I was drinking a can of Irn Bru at the time :)

Good work!
With that arquitecture u can do changes without reboot. great. this is i said time ago and ppl dont understand me lol.
Keep up the good work!
U make prj using SOLID :) all plugable
u use dx? i have a opengl base render if u want to port to any platform ;)

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
Good work!
With that arquitecture u can do changes without reboot. great. this is i said time ago and ppl dont understand me lol.
Keep up the good work!
U make prj using SOLID :) all plugable
u use dx? i have a opengl base render if u want to port to any platform ;)

Thanks, I am using a custom build of MonoGame, DirectX directly was an option but again, Mir is inherently simple, to require that low level is not required, however Unity is too abstracted, MonoGame with a few tweaks was a perfect middle ground for me imho.

---------- Post Merged at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:55 AM ----------

Don't do this to me bro... Don't come back into our lives again to abandon us for some Asian girl at HP....

I love ruining your hopes and dreams of a Map Editor :)

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
I like it, the way you try to manage data for server and how the architecture is.. love it!

I had same thing in my mind for mir3, like a control panel for player

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
Sounds like an interesting concept, I'm assuming the base files would remain close source but the ability to add new plugins for different features is to allow maximum customization without relying on you to release them.

Let me know if you need a tester

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
I like it, the way you try to manage data for server and how the architecture is.. love it!

I had same thing in my mind for mir3, like a control panel for player

The web talks directly to a new web interface component, so you can dashboard and build pages for anything in the live game and database, using reflecting to tell if what you want, and it will export it back in JSON and you just plug it into a template on web portal.