New Mir Project

smoochy boys on tour

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
Thanks, I am using a custom build of MonoGame, DirectX directly was an option but again, Mir is inherently simple, to require that low level is not required, however Unity is too abstracted, MonoGame with a few tweaks was a perfect middle ground for me imho.

---------- Post Merged at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:55 AM ----------

I love ruining your hopes and dreams of a Map Editor :)

Did you look into SlimDX, SharpDX as well?

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
Sounds like an interesting concept, I'm assuming the base files would remain close source but the ability to add new plugins for different features is to allow maximum customization without relying on you to release them.

Let me know if you need a tester

Yes, the components interfaces will be exposed to allow customization and new components.

Components fall into a few categories:

Client Graphics
Client Actor
Client Magic
Client Effect
Client Dialogs

Server Actor
Server Systems
Server Magic
Server Maps

The ECS that wraps all these together will be closed.

---------- Post Merged at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:05 PM ----------

SlimDx is poorly supported, MonoGame is a wrapper around SharpDx with a content pipeline, so I went MonoGame.

---------- Post Merged at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Also when I say closed, I would be open to a few people coming in to code with me, but the intentions and commitment would need to be right, I don't expect this to be a profitable venture, ill only take payment in in the form of Irn-Bru for sanity purposes!

DjDarkBoyZ

Dev
Golden Oldie
Aug 11, 2006
127.Ø.Ø.1

jamie, with that arquitecture can inject any render. OpenGL, DX, ect ;)

---------- Post Merged at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:24 PM ----------

Yes, the components interfaces will be exposed to allow customization and new components.

Components fall into a few categories:

Client Graphics
Client Actor
Client Magic
Client Effect
Client Dialogs

Server Actor
Server Systems
Server Magic
Server Maps

The ECS that wraps all these together will be closed.

---------- Post Merged at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:05 PM ----------

SlimDx is poorly supported, MonoGame is a wrapper around SharpDx with a content pipeline, so I went MonoGame.

---------- Post Merged at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Also when I say closed, I would be open to a few people coming in to code with me, but the intentions and commitment would need to be right, I don't expect this to be a profitable venture, ill only take payment in in the form of Irn-Bru for sanity purposes!

u made unit tests on build to know pluggins are ok? :)

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
So I'm assuming the Client would run off the web rather than local, does this mean you could potentially run off say Android or IOS?

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
So I'm assuming the Client would run off the web rather than local, does this mean you could potentially run off say Android or IOS?

No Client is desktop based, however I am testing with a build in Xamarin, which is why I have customized monogame.

DjDarkBoyZ

Dev
Golden Oldie
Aug 11, 2006
127.Ø.Ø.1

yes, can be compiled on iOS, android, web (using webgl) ect

---------- Post Merged at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:04 PM ----------

No Client is desktop based, however I am testing with a build in Xamarin, which is why I have customized monogame.

with monogame-xamarin u can compile on other platforms. I have a Mobile Mir with that :P

DjDarkBoyZ

Dev
Golden Oldie
Aug 11, 2006
127.Ø.Ø.1
I finded one old screen :)
7dffc5aa3b35a0375968ec1758ff6f5b.jpg

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
I finded one old screen :)
7dffc5aa3b35a0375968ec1758ff6f5b.jpg

Cool but kind of weird at the same time lol

its a old test, using xamarin.
yes i only tested on android because i dont have any iOS xD

cool

---------- Post Merged at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:56 PM ----------

btw i hope @kyndins dont dump this project and keep working on it... mir2 community needs a fresh and good server... specially after that catastrophe...

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
cool

---------- Post Merged at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:56 PM ----------

btw i hope @kyndins dont dump this project and keep working on it... mir2 community needs a fresh and good server... specially after that catastrophe...

I won't personally be making a server, however i will support someone who is serious about making one, what catastrophe are you talking about?

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I swear Zedina sounds butthurt in every thread he posts in

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Welcome back Kyn.

Interesting project, I look forward to seeing how it develops.

Always nice to see people wanting to invest time and effort to make files better for server creators. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there capable of creating a server but lack the development side to progress the server.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
looks brilliant, will you update way to control graphics? maybe sprites? so easy to manage 1 image for armours, 1 image for weapons etc...

would make it a lot easier for people to manage to add without the need for dodgy programs? simple photoshop/gimp saves o.0

afshangrudar1

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 26, 2009
Sounds really cool, if I understand it correctly you could make custom bits of game play code and just add them to things in a way similar to how you can drop a script on to an object in unity to make it do "something". It would make it really easy for people to really customise servers.

Would you consider making custom graphics and dropping the name! Its been a long time since there was any real creativity from WeMade/Shanda its just turned into a micro-transaction money making scheme. I didnt officially win the M2 "game play ideas" competition that GNonline did but a lot of the things I put in my idea eventually made it into the game!

I did start a concept/story/design document for essentially a mir gameplay style game with its own story and world. I managed to pitch at one of the UKTI/Innovate game development events and had some interest from one of the VC's who founded what became Studio Liverpool but as I didn't have any prototype didnt get much further than a conversation. If your interested in talking I'm coming to the end of a contract and will have some proper time to look at it again next year. I havn't done any game work for a while I mainly work on animation, films, projection shows and AR/VR experience at the moment but I would love to get creative with someone serious when time allows.

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
Sounds really cool, if I understand it correctly you could make custom bits of game play code and just add them to things in a way similar to how you can drop a script on to an object in unity to make it do "something". It would make it really easy for people to really customise servers.

Would you consider making custom graphics and dropping the name! Its been a long time since there was any real creativity from WeMade/Shanda its just turned into a micro-transaction money making scheme. I didnt officially win the M2 "game play ideas" competition that GNonline did but a lot of the things I put in my idea eventually made it into the game!

I did start a concept/story/design document for essentially a mir gameplay style game with its own story and world. I managed to pitch at one of the UKTI/Innovate game development events and had some interest from one of the VC's who founded what became Studio Liverpool but as I didn't have any prototype didnt get much further than a conversation. If your interested in talking I'm coming to the end of a contract and will have some proper time to look at it again next year. I havn't done any game work for a while I mainly work on animation, films, projection shows and AR/VR experience at the moment but I would love to get creative with someone serious when time allows.

Yes correct, more like a dynamic plugin system for the main gameplay stuff. The main thing lacking is lack of innovation in terms of graphics correct, I would love to see all the stuff recreated into isometric 3d as opposed to static isometric images.