Server testing (January 12th 6PM -14th 8PM GMT)

• Remember! Never use the same account usernames and password across different servers!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Server testing

I've been slowly working on something on and off for the past months when i have time, and wouldn't mind getting a bit of feedback.

I won't go into great detail, a lot of work is still being done, and testing will be limited to the initial questing segment. Testing will also be limited to only a few of the intended sub-classes.

Some basic (important) concept background:

• I can't define this as low rate or high rate, it is neither.
  • Everything is made new. Maps/quests/items etc. (Not skins ofc) A few placeholder maps at present.

• The server is designed to run in seasons, lasting 3-4 months. (Anyone familiar with Path of Exile will understand the concept) Each new season will have a different themed aspect to it, aswell as season specific progression/rewards you work towards. Rewards will carry over to the next season, and will be purely cosmetic/mounts/pets etc

• The overall aim is to have a more 'hack n' slash' faster paced feel.
  • Linear story questing will guide you through the first 50~ levels.
    • The intention here is to steer away from the grinding facade that is starting a fresh. there will be no need to grind exp much at this stage, the process is designed to be done in 6-8~ hours by simply following the story quests. The end-game grind / progression (real fun) begins after.

What i'm looking for in terms of feedback here is wether or not the quest/area pathing provides both enough guidance and progression in terms of exp/drops to progress smoothly given the timeframe. Aswell as any general feedback ofcourse.

I will provide some more information/screenshots of the questing zones individually as they are finalized over the coming week.

Last edited:

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
So i guess you want to make seasonal updates, and change game concept on every season

Sounds interesting, cant wait to see. Do you want do something like Paragon concept?

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
The intent is to have each new season bring a new focus, a fitting story, new content ocourse; it will be prevelant throught the world.
This is not to say what is added in season 2 will stay for season 3, it will be replaced with a new theme.

I don't want to go too much into the end-game aspects here, as initial testing is only for the starting leveling / main quest line process.

If you mean the paragon point system then no, i have no interest/intention of doing that.

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
The intent is to have each new season bring a new focus, a fitting story, new content ocourse; it will be prevelant throught the world.
This is not to say what is added in season 2 will stay for season 3, it will be replaced with a new theme.

I don't want to go too much into the end-game aspects here, as initial testing is only for the starting leveling / main quest line process.

If you mean the paragon point system then no, i have no interest/intention of doing that.

Good,the idea on paper looks nice.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
This will be delayed somewhat, for how long I'm not sure, this week has been especially busy.

After a few play-through's, unfortunately it does feel a bit too convoluted at the moment.
Months of adding in bits here and there, multple side systems, professions etc, its a bit too much for my liking.

What I'm aiming for is to have the initial leveling process be fairly linear and 'clean' not bombard you with a multitude of side systems. But at the same time not wait until the main quest is done then throw 10 new systems at you.
Therefor i decided the best move now is to simply strip everything out, and start with just the basic quests, adding in the other systems one by one at more appropriate stages.

This is not a huge job, as everything is still there, however it will take time to organize.
This is something i have done for fun in my free time, so I'm not in a rush, but it will come when it feels ready.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
more screens of maps you've been making plz

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I have barely had time to do much the past months just the odd hour here and there, tho a lot of what i've been working on are the quests and just small caves/temples for the end-game system, so not much to see as far as they go really.

I do have the Oasis post to update, it has changed a significant amount. I spent a long time playing with it from last you saw and it just felt like something was always missing.

As a taster it is now 1300x1300 with a coast/port(s)/Town/mountain ranges/enemy stronghold built into the terrain, instead of a standalone fort thing. I will update the post once i feel comfortable with the layout, the final parts are being dictated on how the story progresses, which im still working on.

I would show you a taster, but it seems I broke the minimap image creator.
I dont want to get too distracted from the bit I'm working on atm, but i assume this means it's too big?
2j0xr2x.png

Last edited:

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
possibly - the H/W are well within the int range, but it could be failing on something within the method

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
The very moderate amount of work I've done on my play server is aimed at pretty much exactly the same as you (fast, paced action, linear story with side instances - think Diablo 3 zones and questlines, even kinda turned warrior into barb, just without whirlwind :apologetic:), so I'd be very interested to give a hand testing/playing etc. It sounds exactly my cup of tea.

If the server is a 1/10 as good as you map work, then it will be pretty impressive.

WarrDcv

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Apr 5, 2017
Can someone link me from download? from the game? I would like to download it

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
possibly - the H/W are well within the int range, but it could be failing on something within the method
I just tried a few others, anything over 1100x1100, even if the map itself is blank(empty) gives this error, so i can only assume It's that causing it.
I'll work something out when i get back to it.

The very moderate amount of work I've done on my play server is aimed at pretty much exactly the same as you (fast, paced action, linear story with side instances - think Diablo 3 zones and questlines, even kinda turned warrior into barb, just without whirlwind :apologetic:), so I'd be very interested to give a hand testing/playing etc. It sounds exactly my cup of tea.

I played around with a lot of concepts initially to try and spice things up a bit, a lot of player driven dynamic content, reputations, professions etc (e.g daily quests that result in structures being built over time), as once you understand the map design process its easy to make things change as and when you like, but they never really felt special. It was in essence just the same old slow grinding for the sake of grinding, and i wanted something new.

(old)D3/POE is pretty much the system I am aiming for atm, streamlined, short initial leveling pathing, no mindless grinding, just follow the quests til end-game begins. With an endgame similar to PoE's mapping system. which if you havent played it, it is basically D3's greater rifts but 100x better.

The class system has also been pretty revamped, instead of getting 30 skills that you never use its now more of a "build your own" pick a few skills from the pool x,y,z. Tho there is still a lot of work to do in this regard. I think this works better for the faster paced play,

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
I disagree with maps being a better system than Rifts. I just like the simplicity of rifting TBH, it's exactly what I play the game for. Loved the maps in PoE however, and it was a nice change of pace.

That is very, very intriguing - I think it would work amazingly in Mir, but the implementation (code and design) would have to be on point. Very excited to try it out. Sign me up for pre-pre-Alpha.

Skills sound cool too, but with that info it could mean anything so I won't think about it 'til I see it/hear more. I had my warriors effectively use 'Rage' by having their skills build mana and others spend it. I did try and give warriors a permanent debuff that drained their mana to work with that system, but after trialling it, it didn't really feel right with the tool set they had, so went with what I called 'chunking' where FS pretty much took all mana, so you'd have to build again with skills to spend. Wasn't finished in any way, and I'd yet to decide what to do about just using potions but meh, was very fun to play around with. Anything that drastic, or just changes to spells themselves?

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Hah, as far as the D3 comment goes, they are in essence the same thing, maps, and rifts, just slightly different progression wise. kill all the mobs then kill the boss, rinse and repeat. I simply meant when I played D3 there were only maybe 4-6 variants(?) it was quite repetitive after a while. While PoE currently has 157 different maps, makes for much better gameplay.

More importantly, the player involvement aspect is quite different, in D3 you simply did a rift then another from an NPC in town, what you did/gained inside did not feel like it really mattered much in terms of progression GR stones were simple the same thing just harder. Whereas in PoE the maps themselves being a consumable item drop lends to a much more involved system (Economic value, player choice etc). This is only personal opinion of course, and it's been quite some time since I played D3.

Skill wise, i have a page full of "things to add" but realistically they are far down the overall list at the moment, we have plenty to work within these files to make a solid baseline. So nothing so drastic as your example at the moment. It's simply a case of building a toolset for your character.
The best decision i made was to simply forgo the PvP balance brick wall, this playstyle simply does not facilitate it well.

I'm trying to not get distracted by non-vital things, which is far too easy to do. Too often I'll randomly think of something 'cool' and spend the next week messing about with it, instead of getting the basics down. This is what I'm in the process of finishing up now. This is what I want complete for the testing phase.

- 5 Zones for the leveling process // With adequate gear drops as you progress
- Linear main questline
- Area sidequests
- Customizable skill toolset (Basically a tiered choice system)
- 7 Professions/Crafting (Quests/Drops etc)

Once this is done, it will be a case of adding in the end-game map system Which is a fairly simple task in comparison, just time consuming, tho by far the most fun part, lots of maps making. The open world will primarily facilitate the sustain aspect of crafting, farming your potions/base materials etc.

Last edited:

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
Hah, as far as the D3 comment goes, they are in essence the same thing, maps, and rifts, just slightly different progression wise. kill all the mobs then kill the boss, rinse and repeat. I simply meant when I played D3 there were only maybe 4-6 variants(?) it was quite repetitive after a while. While PoE currently has 157 different maps, makes for much better gameplay.

More importantly, the player involvement aspect is quite different, in D3 you simply did a rift then another from an NPC in town, what you did/gained inside did not feel like it really mattered much in terms of progression GR stones were simple the same thing just harder. Whereas in PoE the maps themselves being a consumable item drop lends to a much more involved system (Economic value, player choice etc). This is only personal opinion of course, and it's been quite some time since I played D3.

Skill wise, i have a page full of "things to add" but realistically they are far down the overall list at the moment, we have plenty to work within these files to make a solid baseline. So nothing so drastic as your example at the moment. It's simply a case of building a toolset for your character.
The best decision i made was to simply forgo the PvP balance brick wall, this playstyle simply does not facilitate it well.

I'm trying to not get distracted by non-vital things, which is far too easy to do. Too often I'll randomly think of something 'cool' and spend the next week messing about with it, instead of getting the basics down. This is what I'm in the process of finishing up now. This is what I want complete for the testing phase.

- 5 Zones for the leveling process // With adequate gear drops as you progress
- Linear main questline
- Area sidequests
- Customizable skill toolset (Basically a tiered choice system)
- 7 Professions/Crafting (Quests/Drops etc)

Once this is done, it will be a case of adding in the end-game map system Which is a fairly simple task in comparison, just time consuming, tho by far the most fun part, lots of maps making. The open world will primarily facilitate the sustain aspect of crafting, farming your potions/base materials etc.

It sounds very exciting to be honest, so I'll be keeping a close eye. Just let me know, and i'll help with whatever testing you need.

Cookie

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 13, 2016
West Yorkshire, UK
I'm trying to not get distracted by non-vital things, which is far too easy to do. Too often I'll randomly think of something 'cool' and spend the next week messing about with it, instead of getting the basics down.

Haha I know this myself feel like I just cant stop with the random ideas I get ...

Sorry for never replying to your message about the map creations it is something I am interested in but feel its still a long way off as I still want to do a lot more before I even get to the actual gameplay

Looking forward to your creation though sounds very good :)

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
It is far too easy. Add in a wild NPC and a quest, then I find myself wanting to add map elements to make his position look better.
Suddenly a 5-minute job is now taking 2 hours and my evening is gone.

But I am restraining myself, more so as I decided I want to use the already existing big city map as the central hub(Which needs a lot of minor tweaks). I'm just keeping a list of changes that need to be made and focusing on re-adding the content. A quest giver missing some fluff around him and a barricade isn't game breaking, but it drives me nuts sometimes.

The hardest part at the moment seems to be linear quest progression without physically blocking movement past a certain point. No matter how explicit the quests are, I'm sure someone will decide to run off.

---------- Post Merged on 16-01-2018 at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous Post was on 15-01-2018 at 10:49 PM ----------

This is basically what I've panned out for the skills system. It is by no means 'complete' there are so many new spells i want to add and/or adjust. but for now I'll settle for a working system with some basics.

Stats from the chosen path are given directly using a permanent buff. I have 12 different paths at the moment, all are different in some way, and have a unique spell, making your choice actually matter somewhat depending on your playstyle. They do all however have some overlap per class.
E.g. As you can see in the image, one of the Warrior paths is hierophant, and gives MC/SC. So your class choice is based on the path you wish to choose instead of the typical warrior = dc.

I will most likely group the damage spells significantly more and focus on scaling, so any one character only has.
- 2-3 damage spells
- 1 movement ability
- 2-3 utility spells.

With an except to paths such as necromancer, summoner and Pupeteer who have pets aswell. And those based around buffs. Any thoughts?

k3aype.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.