Server testing (January 12th 6PM -14th 8PM GMT)

• Remember! Never use the same account usernames and password across different servers!
smoochy boys on tour
Status
Not open for further replies.

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
Without knowing the talents and how the skills will be used in 'real world' it's very had to have an opinion to be honest, but it still sounds very promising based on what we have. As long as the stats tie in to an overall gameplay change, that isn't too drastic, it does sound good. Like the idea of a defined, simplified playstyle myself.

What is clear is that you've put a lot of thought in to it, which in itself is promising.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
'talents' was probably the wrong word to use. They are what you see on the right.
Bare in mind you are able to 'respec' your skill points and path. I wouldn't consider the concept that drastic of a change really.

Basically.
1. Choose a path = You characters base stats
2. Choose what spells you want to use.

E.g. If i wanted to use these; any of the MC based paths would be best. (Elementalist is ++MC +Mana // Trickster is ++MC +Crit)
Blizzard (Main ability)
Frost Bolt (Secondary)
Shoulder Dash (Mobility)
Magic Shield (Utility)
Reincarnation (Utility)

However, if you wanted a more party orientated build like below, you could stay with the pure MC path and gear for the MC/SC requirements. Or take one of the paths that give basestats. (Hierophant is +MC +SC +Mana // Guardian is +SC +HP +AMC)
Blizzard (Main ability)
Poisoning (Secondary)
Shoulder Dash (Mobility)
Magic Shield (Utility)
Ultimate Enhancer (Utility)

Last edited:

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
when can this be testeted iw ill give it abash
I did pre-empt the testing date a little too eagerly. As i wanted to give reasonable notice.

However, it is coming on at a descent pace, so 'not long'.

---------- Post Merged on 23-01-2018 at 05:23 AM ---------- Previous Post was on 17-01-2018 at 05:15 PM ----------

Finished re-adding quests etc to the first 1 1/2 maps so far. A bit slower than i anticipated as i have been added a lot of extra flavour text as i go.

I got a bit distracted in re-doing the skill system somewhat. Added sub-class based buffs etc and a few new spells. This is complete now.
I'm really not happy with the way the skill choice system is working (as above) doing it through npc's feels pretty **** in all honesty.

In the process of trying to convert it to an item/gem system so they are physical items. You have a number(8) of gem sockets. Each gem correlated to a spell. So you can have 8 spells at any one time.

---------- Post Merged on 24-01-2018 at 06:30 AM ---------- Previous Post was on 23-01-2018 at 05:23 AM ----------

Skill system completely re-done. No more npc ****.
- Skills are now 'Skill Gems'
- 8 Skill Gem sockets on the character pane, simply drop it in and your good to go.
-Swap them in/out as you please (at a level reset cost)
(This will be improved at a later stage with a gem levling system)

2cgh4b5.png

Last edited:

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
So you won't get inherent skills, they'll be assigned to gems and you then equip the gem getting access to skill (Path of Exile style)? Or the gems just add things to class skills?

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
They are your skills, yes. The same way PoE works.

Just not quite as complex with supports etc yet, tho the logic is already there to expand on with how some of the Archer skills work currently.

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
So how do you level them, or you done away with that? Do the gems have restrictions on which classes can use them?

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
There is no class defined restriction, that was the intent from the very beginning. There will most likely be stat based requirements increasing as the skill level increases.

Gem leveling will be added, so the skill gems become more of a commodity.

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
How you gonna makes classes defined then? Why is a warrior that chooses MC and spells different to a wiz or vice versa?

No negativity here btw, just interested. Should probably just wait til I get on, but...you know, I can't wait

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
The path system granting base stats (there are no 2 the same) and unique spells specific to that path is still there. So your class choice determines which paths are available to you.

Edit: Never took it negatively. I know sometimes things don't come across clearly when its all in your head haha

Last edited:

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
So how do you level them, or you done away with that? Do the gems have restrictions on which classes can use them?

Thinking about this, I'm just going to remove the skill leveling all together, I dont feel like it actually adds anything to the game at all. Lets face it noone on the planet ever enjoyed standing in town casting buffs on everyone that ran past for 5hours to level them up :P

It is nothing more than a way to control player power progression. i.e level requirements on new ranks. this can be done in far more fun ways.

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
'Tis true, but in a game where slowly progressing is the be all and end all, skills were massively important for feeling power growth. Whilst I don't necessarily like the 'use skill 1 miillion times to lvl' is all that, I do think the actual levelling itself is important.

Much as I hate RNG, why not have different gems for different levels of skills. Firewall(1) Gem, Firewall(2) gem etc. If you don't want to have players gimped by RNG, then have a system to compensate (merge 5 lvl 1 gems to lvl 2 etc).

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
That's pretty much what i had in mind. not remove the concept itself but make it less tedious.
Upgrading the gem in some way for higer ranks is a pretty solid choice. Simple, and does what it needs to do.

I thought about adding exp to the gems and once they are full, upgrade. But it is just another mindless leveling system thats not very involving.

I did search the code earlier when adding more gems, and couldn't find where i would define the skill level being given, with the method I'm using (the same way heal ring gives you heal), so thats something i would need to work out first.

Last edited:

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
loving the Path of Exile skill gems you've got there.

It'll be hard to reproduce what PoE has done and implement it into Mir but I feel like it can be done and should definitely be explored.

Very much looking forward to giving this a bash, and of course breaking the ever loving **** out of it so you can get busy fixing all the bugs ;)

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
They are great! 3 different colours and look nice, can't go wrong~

Honestly I'm just having a lot of fun playing with the different concepts. I tried out a lot of things over the past year, frustrating sometimes, as I'm clearly a pretty **** coder haha. But fun none the less.

I'm pretty comfortable with the bits i decided on keeping. Hopefully they will make for a fun take.

---------- Post Merged on 25-01-2018 at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous Post was on 24-01-2018 at 06:51 PM ----------

Much as I hate RNG, why not have different gems for different levels of skills. Firewall(1) Gem, Firewall(2) gem etc.
Thanks to Far's help, this is now done. Gems now give a specific level - Desecrate(Level1), Desecrate(Level2) etc.

No longer need to worry about skill resets when swapping gems.
No need to spend hours leveling skills, just upgrade the gem. (Drops or Crafting)

Edit: For clarity sake, the skills will no longer level at all. There is no skill exp, so you can't put on a lvl1 gem and level your spell to lvl 3 etc.

Last edited:

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
This is awesome. Very interesting. What stage you reckon you're at now? Anything I can do?

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
As always i got side tracked and started doing all the gem stuff haha
Just need to add the rest of the skill gems, being boring data entry. If my eyes hold up i hope to finish this today tho probably not, there are a lot!

Then ill be back on to re-adding the quests etc.
Hopefully it won't take too long to get that done (about 1/4 done atm), then i can stick it up for testing/breaking.

Last edited:

wxypk2009

Banned
Banned
Loyal Member
Jan 15, 2017
I want to see the server's game picture, looking forward to, you can come to the game picture

Status
Not open for further replies.