Zircon Mir 3
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Server testing (January 12th 6PM -14th 8PM GMT)

I disagree with maps being a better system than Rifts. I just like the simplicity of rifting TBH, it's exactly what I play the game for. Loved the maps in PoE however, and it was a nice change of pace.

That is very, very intriguing - I think it would work amazingly in Mir, but the implementation (code and design) would have to be on point. Very excited to try it out. Sign me up for pre-pre-Alpha.

Skills sound cool too, but with that info it could mean anything so I won't think about it 'til I see it/hear more. I had my warriors effectively use 'Rage' by having their skills build mana and others spend it. I did try and give warriors a permanent debuff that drained their mana to work with that system, but after trialling it, it didn't really feel right with the tool set they had, so went with what I called 'chunking' where FS pretty much took all mana, so you'd have to build again with skills to spend. Wasn't finished in any way, and I'd yet to decide what to do about just using potions but meh, was very fun to play around with. Anything that drastic, or just changes to spells themselves?

Hah, as far as the D3 comment goes, they are in essence the same thing, maps, and rifts, just slightly different progression wise. kill all the mobs then kill the boss, rinse and repeat. I simply meant when I played D3 there were only maybe 4-6 variants(?) it was quite repetitive after a while. While PoE currently has 157 different maps, makes for much better gameplay.

More importantly, the player involvement aspect is quite different, in D3 you simply did a rift then another from an NPC in town, what you did/gained inside did not feel like it really mattered much in terms of progression GR stones were simple the same thing just harder. Whereas in PoE the maps themselves being a consumable item drop lends to a much more involved system (Economic value, player choice etc). This is only personal opinion of course, and it's been quite some time since I played D3.

Skill wise, i have a page full of "things to add" but realistically they are far down the overall list at the moment, we have plenty to work within these files to make a solid baseline. So nothing so drastic as your example at the moment. It's simply a case of building a toolset for your character.
    The best decision i made was to simply forgo the PvP balance brick wall, this playstyle simply does not facilitate it well.

I'm trying to not get distracted by non-vital things, which is far too easy to do. Too often I'll randomly think of something 'cool' and spend the next week messing about with it, instead of getting the basics down. This is what I'm in the process of finishing up now. This is what I want complete for the testing phase.

- 5 Zones for the leveling process // With adequate gear drops as you progress
    - Linear main questline
    - Area sidequests
    - Customizable skill toolset (Basically a tiered choice system)
    - 7 Professions/Crafting (Quests/Drops etc)

Once this is done, it will be a case of adding in the end-game map system Which is a fairly simple task in comparison, just time consuming, tho by far the most fun part, lots of maps making. The open world will primarily facilitate the sustain aspect of crafting, farming your potions/base materials etc.
    Last edited by Chalace; 15-01-2018 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalace View Post
    Hah, as far as the D3 comment goes, they are in essence the same thing, maps, and rifts, just slightly different progression wise. kill all the mobs then kill the boss, rinse and repeat. I simply meant when I played D3 there were only maybe 4-6 variants(?) it was quite repetitive after a while. While PoE currently has 157 different maps, makes for much better gameplay.

More importantly, the player involvement aspect is quite different, in D3 you simply did a rift then another from an NPC in town, what you did/gained inside did not feel like it really mattered much in terms of progression GR stones were simple the same thing just harder. Whereas in PoE the maps themselves being a consumable item drop lends to a much more involved system (Economic value, player choice etc). This is only personal opinion of course, and it's been quite some time since I played D3.

Skill wise, i have a page full of "things to add" but realistically they are far down the overall list at the moment, we have plenty to work within these files to make a solid baseline. So nothing so drastic as your example at the moment. It's simply a case of building a toolset for your character.
    The best decision i made was to simply forgo the PvP balance brick wall, this playstyle simply does not facilitate it well.

I'm trying to not get distracted by non-vital things, which is far too easy to do. Too often I'll randomly think of something 'cool' and spend the next week messing about with it, instead of getting the basics down. This is what I'm in the process of finishing up now. This is what I want complete for the testing phase.

- 5 Zones for the leveling process // With adequate gear drops as you progress
    - Linear main questline
    - Area sidequests
    - Customizable skill toolset (Basically a tiered choice system)
    - 7 Professions/Crafting (Quests/Drops etc)

Once this is done, it will be a case of adding in the end-game map system Which is a fairly simple task in comparison, just time consuming, tho by far the most fun part, lots of maps making. The open world will primarily facilitate the sustain aspect of crafting, farming your potions/base materials etc.
    It sounds very exciting to be honest, so I'll be keeping a close eye. Just let me know, and i'll help with whatever testing you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalace View Post

I'm trying to not get distracted by non-vital things, which is far too easy to do. Too often I'll randomly think of something 'cool' and spend the next week messing about with it, instead of getting the basics down.
    Haha I know this myself feel like I just cant stop with the random ideas I get ...

Sorry for never replying to your message about the map creations it is something I am interested in but feel its still a long way off as I still want to do a lot more before I even get to the actual gameplay

Looking forward to your creation though sounds very good

It is far too easy. Add in a wild NPC and a quest, then I find myself wanting to add map elements to make his position look better.
    Suddenly a 5-minute job is now taking 2 hours and my evening is gone.

But I am restraining myself, more so as I decided I want to use the already existing big city map as the central hub(Which needs a lot of minor tweaks). I'm just keeping a list of changes that need to be made and focusing on re-adding the content. A quest giver missing some fluff around him and a barricade isn't game breaking, but it drives me nuts sometimes.

The hardest part at the moment seems to be linear quest progression without physically blocking movement past a certain point. No matter how explicit the quests are, I'm sure someone will decide to run off.

---------- Post Merged on 16-01-2018 at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous Post was on 15-01-2018 at 10:49 PM ----------

This is basically what I've panned out for the skills system. It is by no means 'complete' there are so many new spells i want to add and/or adjust. but for now I'll settle for a working system with some basics.

Stats from the chosen path are given directly using a permanent buff. I have 12 different paths at the moment, all are different in some way, and have a unique spell, making your choice actually matter somewhat depending on your playstyle. They do all however have some overlap per class.
    E.g. As you can see in the image, one of the Warrior paths is hierophant, and gives MC/SC. So your class choice is based on the path you wish to choose instead of the typical warrior = dc.

I will most likely group the damage spells significantly more and focus on scaling, so any one character only has.
    - 2-3 damage spells
    - 1 movement ability
    - 2-3 utility spells.

With an except to paths such as necromancer, summoner and Pupeteer who have pets aswell. And those based around buffs. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Chalace; 17-01-2018 at 12:43 AM.

Without knowing the talents and how the skills will be used in 'real world' it's very had to have an opinion to be honest, but it still sounds very promising based on what we have. As long as the stats tie in to an overall gameplay change, that isn't too drastic, it does sound good. Like the idea of a defined, simplified playstyle myself.

What is clear is that you've put a lot of thought in to it, which in itself is promising.

'talents' was probably the wrong word to use. They are what you see on the right.
    Bare in mind you are able to 'respec' your skill points and path. I wouldn't consider the concept that drastic of a change really.

Basically.
    1. Choose a path = You characters base stats
    2. Choose what spells you want to use.

E.g. If i wanted to use these; any of the MC based paths would be best. (Elementalist is ++MC +Mana // Trickster is ++MC +Crit)
    Blizzard (Main ability)
    Frost Bolt (Secondary)
    Shoulder Dash (Mobility)
    Magic Shield (Utility)
    Reincarnation (Utility)

However, if you wanted a more party orientated build like below, you could stay with the pure MC path and gear for the MC/SC requirements. Or take one of the paths that give basestats. (Hierophant is +MC +SC +Mana // Guardian is +SC +HP +AMC)
    Blizzard (Main ability)
    Poisoning (Secondary)
    Shoulder Dash (Mobility)
    Magic Shield (Utility)
    Ultimate Enhancer (Utility)
    Last edited by Chalace; 17-01-2018 at 02:53 PM.

when can this be testeted iw ill give it abash

Quote Originally Posted by littletao View Post
    when can this be testeted iw ill give it abash
    I did pre-empt the testing date a little too eagerly. As i wanted to give reasonable notice.

However, it is coming on at a descent pace, so 'not long'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12