Looking into building a new gaming DESKTOP.

smoochy boys on tour

blazee

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 3, 2012
Hello all,

I am looking into building my first gaming PC and need some advise into what you guys are running and or what you guys have found to work the best?.

- Please post what Graphic's card & processors you would recommend for a first time build. Alternatively just post what is being used by yourself as of now, First build or not.

I am looking for something that would work well with Legend Of Mir, and also only MMORPG games.

What would be more important - Graphics card or Processor, would high RAM also make a big difference?

Reason for build, I am being stepped all over on a new laptop bought from pc world and cannot figure out why until speaking to a few mates who own gaming pc's

Any information would be appreciated

Thank you for your time. :k

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
CPU>GPU>RAM

in order of importance, with a mboard that doesn't bottleneck you. I built a very decent gaming pc lately for a friend but they had a budget of £1000

In order to build you something we'd need to know your budget.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Post your laptop specs.

My out of the box laptop out performs my, what was, £2k+ self-built Desktop (4/5 year old with random upgrades now n' then) on some games, being a laptop is simply not a reasonable excuse these days. Both have no trouble playing anything that comes out.

James

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 31, 2010
I recently built a new cheap gaming PC and chose the motherboard bundle below and added 16Gb of 3200 corsair RAM (
£476.38)
https://www.awd-it.co.uk/intel-i5-8400-4.0ghz-quad-core-cpu-asus-z370-p-motherboard-bundle.html

I also have a Pailit GTX-1050 Ti 4Gb StormX graphics card (which I got for £75 2nd hand)

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/pal...MI_9fVxYG62wIV6pztCh0RBAmYEAQYASABEgIT9vD_BwE

with these alone I can run Fortnite at 120FPS if I use the nvidia optimal settings or it will run at 90FPS if I put everything up to the maximum settings.

---------- Post Merged at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:32 PM ----------

oh and to the previous post of importance.. disagree hugely.

You need a good motherboard, absolute priority, don't skimp on £60-70 cheapos get a good quality one over £100 designed for gaming.
RAM - absolute necessity, everything you do gets loaded to the RAM, you go short here, you'll get lag in all areas.
GPU - Get a good card, something with decent RAM builtin, this is where the majority of your gaming is processed for 3D etc
CPU - You need a good solid reliable chip, but it doesn't have to be amazing, CPU's in gaming tend to cover finer points like textures for higher levels of detail, a pre-overclocked chip will work wonders (like the kit I just posted previously)
using a Solid state drive to store your games will also see significant benefits, my PC contains 3 SSDs and a larger HDD, 1 SSD for the O/S, 2 SSD's for my top games and a 1Tb HDD for anything extra I want to store.

Also another thing to think about is good cooling, the bundle I posted comes with a nice CPU cooler but in the case I've fitted 3x Aerocool dead silence fans which are ventilating the box well and controlled brilliantly by the motherboard without being noisy, I've barely heard an increase in nose even when playing the most detailed games for over an hour.