Weapon upgrade system preferences

Which weapon upgrade system do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I'm on the fence as to which weapon upgrade system to use. Personally, I'm a fan of the old mining and refining route, tho that's probably because that's what I remember. Do people that have played more recently and used the awakening system more actually like it?

Some insight into what I already have in place.

Item progression is primarily set based, with tiered upgrades through crafting. (so already a use for a lot of ores etc)

Stats are fairly low in general, by today's standards at least. (4-6 SC being a top tier (5) crafted necklace for example) +stat limit is going to be 5-7(?) give or take.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I thought about using something like the gem system too. An item that only works on weapons. (+1 or fail)
But that seemed a bit boring.

Alternative ideas welcome too of course.

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
Personally, I just prefer the plain old levelling.

Can be pure 'every exp you earn gives x% to weapon', or a more refined 'find mats and use them to 'charge' the weapon exp (think ff13 upgrading items system).

Although any weapon levelling in Mir seems odd to me - unless the bridge between item stats is larger. Getting 1-2 mc on a weapon may not be difficult, but it's more or less al whole tier up in stats (sometimes). It's worked out well all this time though, so meh...

Perfect world I'd introduce mob classes and then use the weapon levelling for that. Every level up you are given a choice to 4 stats (+10% dmg to x class mob) and then add in other stuff (+10% chance to instakill mobs below 20% health)... interesting stuff. Bit off topic I guess.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Personally it was the risk that made it fun for me. You were rewarded for risking your weapon and winning.
An easy +5-5 stat that everyone will have on every weapon isn't what I'm aiming for.

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
Personally it was the risk that made it fun for me. You were rewarded for risking your weapon and winning.
An easy +5-5 stat that everyone will have on every weapon isn't what I'm aiming for.

Tis true, but it just seemed like more RNG on top of the RNG already. Having a reliable/stable system didn't seem too bad to me, as long as the end result matches (negating the 'easy 5-5' you mention... that would only be an issue if the server owner can't tune. They decide what the end result is, regardless of what system, i guess)

Once you've worked out the formula, it's pretty much the same thing though (add this item, that item, and that other there to the pot, chuck in weapon, bam +1dc).

The levelling system could just add a variable at the end instead of a constant (chance of +5-10% damage etc) if you want luck/randomness to be an factor.

Doesn't really concern me though, just personal preference. Nout wrong with the way it is tbh