Any 3D guys want something todo?

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
Currently working on a project in Unreal, the basics are in. It's networked with movement, basic attack and able to kill other players. The equipment, looting and inventory system is in. I used an asset from the store and modified it for my networking code. I've never done any modelling, right now I'm just using the free assets from Epic for weapons and armor.

The skeleton has sockets for each item including rings/bracelets if the camera was zoomed in enough other players could see the rings you have equipped on your body. I have some AI stuff in too with behaviour trees.

Everything is replicating perfectly across the network, other players see when you equip items etc. Maybe a few people are interested so we can create something better than that piece of **** mir 3d Shanda released?

ZlRqeKI.jpg

zfO2Rqw.jpg

lrPirQn.jpg

DjDarkBoyZ

Dev
Golden Oldie
Aug 11, 2006
127.Ø.Ø.1
Currently working on a project in Unreal, the basics are in. It's networked with movement, basic attack and able to kill other players. The equipment, looting and inventory system is in. I used an asset from the store and modified it for my networking code. I've never done any modelling, right now I'm just using the free assets from Epic for weapons and armor.

The skeleton has sockets for each item including rings/bracelets if the camera was zoomed in enough other players could see the rings you have equipped on your body. I have some AI stuff in too with behaviour trees.

Everything is replicating perfectly across the network, other players see when you equip items etc. Maybe a few people are interested so we can create something better than that piece of **** mir 3d Shanda released?

ZlRqeKI.jpg

zfO2Rqw.jpg

lrPirQn.jpg

Good work m8 :)

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
The problem i had when playing with Unity a few years ago was unless you can make your own graphics, anything that looks half decent in the asset store ended up costing me a small fortune just to play with; and getting things to match visually.

Looks good tho, seems you have already made decent headway in functionality.

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
Yeah I've only used free assets from Epic games, problem is you could find something that looks amazing but the art style needs to be consistent so mixing assets is not really an option. I just used them for place holders.

I'll be putting some time in using Maya and pick up modelling but I've seen a few guys on here do some and they looked decent.

DiabloVodkaShot

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 20, 2009
Yeah I've only used free assets from Epic games, problem is you could find something that looks amazing but the art style needs to be consistent so mixing assets is not really an option. I just used them for place holders.

I'll be putting some time in using Maya and pick up modelling but I've seen a few guys on here do some and they looked decent.
I had a fully developed bw model i can try fish out. I have 80% coded mir 2 in unity i originally planned for 3d but after me and the team completed bw with features etc it became too much so we reverted to 2d.

Anyways if you want to add me to skype pm me im sure i can share assets with you.

Pm me for skype

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I would say that since you have started from scratch, you would do well to move away from the 'Mir' name, and any associated terminology. Mir but not Mir, if you know what i mean. That puts you in a far better position than you otherwise would be.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
Nice work Xander, might be worth chatting with Breezer I know he uses and prefers Unity,

I've looked at making my own terrains but Mir keeps bringing me back

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
I've had a crack at UE and Unity, have to say I much prefer Unity nowadays, alot has been added and updated.

I've actually got a full license to an asset that is at the same stage as this project you're on...however yours is undeniably better due to you knowing the ins and outs of your project (never been a fan of learning someone else's work).

Definitely give DiabloVodka a shout, I'll see if I can find you some UE assets that I may have obtained back when I was working with DK...otherwise, it might be worth porting to Unity , trust me, it's easier to use lol.

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
I've used Unity a number of times and while it is nice and easier for most things, Unreals blueprinting feature to rapidly prototype something and then being able to base your C++ code on is amazing. It's built in material editor is pretty ****ing awesome too where as I think Unity requires an asset for materials?

DK has shown me his Bichon stuff looks pretty awesome! The code is progressing pretty fast wether or not Unreals networking alone can handle the connections needed for an MMO is something I'm worried about as I've seen a number of people say it cannot unless modifications are made to the engine source or I roll my own netcode.

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
This may help -

https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/content-creation/23921-mmo-starter-kit

Think hes tested it with 500+ plus

I played around with it for a while in Unreal, it's pretty good.

It's something I've always wanted to do, but the amount of work involved is "unreal" pardon the pun.

Yeah I've seen that, I'm only interested in netcode and he hasn't changed any of it in the actual engine I think he's just using unreals standard replication features. He's added some socket stuff in C++ to talk to the chat server is about all so can't justify the purchase as I could write my own socket stuff.

I'm thinking maybe if I create my own socket stuff I could easily hook it up to a C# server but then I'd have to let the client handle collision stuff which could eventually lead to people wanting to **** about so they can walk through walls but would solve being able to handle more connections.

I think what the problem with unreal is if something is replicating it's replicating to everyone if they re in sight or not, so someone could be across the other side of the map and your client will be getting updates about them as it's mostly used for team based multiplayer's or arena based games it's fine for 4-64 people.

It's definitely a massive job I think the artwork and modelling is the biggest part of this though but if all else fails I'll turn it into some dungeon crawling thing with diablo like elements.

---------- Post Merged on 13-02-2018 at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous Post was on 09-02-2018 at 11:14 PM ----------

I've had a crack at UE and Unity, have to say I much prefer Unity nowadays, alot has been added and updated.

I've actually got a full license to an asset that is at the same stage as this project you're on...however yours is undeniably better due to you knowing the ins and outs of your project (never been a fan of learning someone else's work).

Definitely give DiabloVodka a shout, I'll see if I can find you some UE assets that I may have obtained back when I was working with DK...otherwise, it might be worth porting to Unity , trust me, it's easier to use lol.

What's the asset called in Unity Breezer? Curious how it compares.

Seanofsmeg

Staff member
Apr 6, 2015
Just to post to say it looks very cool man and would be very interested to see the finished version!

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
What's the asset called in Unity Breezer? Curious how it compares.

Its deprecated now, but it was called Atavism.

It was pretty badass but seems the developers stopped working on it. I do however have other assets such as uMMORPG / uMMORGP-2D, which are at a similar stage if not further. How far are you on this now ?