Small map WIP

smoochy boys on tour

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
After spending days redoing the UI i needed to do something a bit more fun.
Played with this for about an hour and made pretty good progress so far.

Not much to it i know, just a lot of fiddly smoothing of the edges to make it look nice.
A nice looking quest map.

Here is the overview image.
d3TUbgj.jpg

And the bit I've done in-game so far. Still some smoothing of the left side to do.
Mainly just showing this for scale.

2dua0y9.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
That's extremely nice, mind me asking what game that's from or what you took it from?

I really couldn't tell you, just an image i picked up when i was looking for an anvil, to make an NPC :P (Which looks awesome btw!)

Akaras

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Jan 14, 2014
if you need to cut any of it up into tiles use my little tile cutting programme I made as it should make it pretty easy... although for these you are probably using larger images so you probably wont need it?

I always liked the idea of making some custom tiles using assets either custom made or found from other sources so this is looking really good

just wondering... would you have any use for a programme that allows you to make custom tiles from other images (like two background textures as source images, then the programme would create all the blends between the two images... and you could add objects as details (like flowers and rocks) and save the custom tiles ready to use in maps) ...or is that something you prefer to do in photoshop?

Valhalla

Nexus Mir Developer
Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
I really couldn't tell you, just an image i picked up when i was looking for an anvil, to make an NPC :P (Which looks awesome btw!)

I can guarantee your .Libs are going to get raided the second you release your client xP

Very nice work though, Youre making one hell of a server.

iJam

To the rhythm
VIP
Oct 8, 2007
London
if you need to cut any of it up into tiles use my little tile cutting programme I made as it should make it pretty easy... although for these you are probably using larger images so you probably wont need it?

I always liked the idea of making some custom tiles using assets either custom made or found from other sources so this is looking really good

just wondering... would you have any use for a programme that allows you to make custom tiles from other images (like two background textures as source images, then the programme would create all the blends between the two images... and you could add objects as details (like flowers and rocks) and save the custom tiles ready to use in maps) ...or is that something you prefer to do in photoshop?

If i understand you correctly would this mean you could blend 2 images to create brush tile sets ? I've done a lot myself recently but they have to be almost perfect otherwise they just don't draw right.
example below the one on the left was a fail and the right turned out pretty well.
4AmiGKi.png

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Are you going to make it so when you walk behind some of spikes u appear behind it?? I hope you do, I hate those old bodged sliced maps where you walk over everything.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I used it for this yeah, its mostly a back image to walk on, so needs to be done in 96*64 blocks.
Tho your tile cutter doesn't seem to have any form of scroll option! So a large image first needs cutting so you can actually see the whole image to select the cells.

Sounds like it may have some uses, especially the blend. Tho personally details, like the flowers etc i prefer to do myself instead of copy/pasting, uniformity is tacky.

I can guarantee your .Libs are going to get raided the second you release your client xP
What you don't know is i split each image into 300 pieces, and spread them out individually between all the .Lib files, happy hunting :P
(Joking of course)

Are you going to make it so when you walk behind some of spikes u appear behind it?? I hope you do, I hate those old bodged sliced maps where you walk over everything.
Of course, the platform itself doesn't actually have anything as it's all angled outwards. But the right side of the bridge/chains definitely.

It is ridiculously easy, if not a little time consuming, to cut bits out and make them middle/top images.

Akaras

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Jan 14, 2014
If i understand you correctly would this mean you could blend 2 images to create brush tile sets ?

yeah... I would want to make it so the two source images are selected and then the tile set would be automatically created at the click of a button... I have a few ideas how to do it but wasn't sure if it is worth making a programme to create the files if most people would still use photoshop to make them from a template they have already set up

the reason I wanted this is so that if someone makes a new background texture it can be easily made to blend into all existing background textures (all at once)

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
yeah... I would want to make it so the two source images are selected and then the tile set would be automatically created at the click of a button... I have a few ideas how to do it but wasn't sure if it is worth making a programme to create the files if most people would still use photoshop to make them from a template they have already set up

the reason I wanted this is so that if someone makes a new background texture it can be easily made to blend into all existing background textures (all at once)

This would be pretty awesome when playing with a mix of M2/M3 textures, its always such a pain to get them looking nice where they meet.

Akaras

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Jan 14, 2014
I used it for this yeah, its mostly a back image to walk on, so needs to be done in 96*64 blocks.
Tho your tile cutter doesn't seem to have any form of scroll option! So a large image first needs cutting so you can actually see the whole image to select the cells.

Sounds like it may have some uses, especially the blend. Tho personally details, like the flowers etc i prefer to do myself instead of copy/pasting, uniformity is tacky.

I tested the tile cutter on a Bichon wall BigMap map... I think that was the largest I tested, I'm not sure how large the image panel can go but I'll look at adding a scroll bar to that area thanks for the feedback

may look into testing how to make a good looking blend between the textures then :)

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
The panel looks to go about 1k pixels in height.

It's not a big deal really. This image i had to split into 4 before cutting, took 2 mins.
Not like you should need to cut huge images all too often.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I think it came out pretty well, and hasn't taken all that long really.
Considering It's the first time i did something so extreme as make a picture into a map~

Hope you like it.

2la37ep.png

16icpvn.png

2qm24jq.png

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
This is badass. You're gonna hate me but......what's the plan for the massive hole in the middle? You gonna block it off, or put a mob in it.

Worry what it will be like with mobs spawning in it however. I worry it'll be too high quality for mobs to look 'right'

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003
Can you edit the area's mobs spawn? So they dont go in walls and stuff.

Valhalla

Nexus Mir Developer
Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
All he has to do is add the attributes to it. pretty sure the only reason hes able to stand in the middle is because he hasnt added the attribs yet.

Looking very nice though, i do have the same concerns as wargod... what is it like with mobs on it? (or maybe you have custom mobs that suit this map? ;) )

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Yes attributes...standing on the hole was just so it was a central screenshot haha.

It's not for mobs, tho i think they would still look fine, if you choose the right ones.
I am using the map for an npc, so i never bothered to test any.

Can you edit the area's mobs spawn? So they dont go in walls and stuff.
Every map is done the same way with the map attributes, i just haven't added any yet.
You set exactly where you do and dont want mobs spawning.

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
YEah that's what I meant by blocking off, although I was more hoping you'd have a mob in the middle. Centipede would look **** though, but that idea.

Shame to use it just for an NPC. That needs to be a king room more than Uma Thurman needs to decide if she's hot or not.