Small map WIP

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Sounds pretty awesome.

Helmets in other games were always a tricky thing, they either look amazing and fill out the character well or look terrible.

Lilcooldoode

LOMCN Developer
Developer
May 10, 2003
Yes
In my experience its very difficult, if not impossible to get perfect shadows from just an image as there is no Z axis. That dragon will be ok as its flying so shadow doesn't need to join up with the feet, but for something like a deer for example, I've never found a way to get the shadow looking perfect against all 4 feet >,<

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
In my experience its very difficult, if not impossible to get perfect shadows from just an image as there is no Z axis. That dragon will be ok as its flying so shadow doesn't need to join up with the feet, but for something like a deer for example, I've never found a way to get the shadow looking perfect against all 4 feet >,<

Most mir3 mobs have generated shadows no? I know some of the more complex mobs have libraries, but i think majority are generated.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
It doesn't seem that difficult, using drop shadows. It's not perfect in terms of size on some frames e.g wings image in the forward angle are slim, causes a slim shadow, when in reality the the shadow would be wider. Tho I'm relatively happy how they are turning out. It's never going to be perfect.

It is painstaking tho, doing it manually, frame by frame.

I do have a lot of frame tho, about 400~ (1/3 through atm) I could have probably gotten away with using the standing frames for movement, as the wings move anyway... but this looks nicer! And i still need to patch together some kind of attack frame set.

Lilcooldoode

LOMCN Developer
Developer
May 10, 2003
Yes
I've never seen any generated mir3 mob shadows? Any ive ever used have always had corresponding shadows in MonX-S.wil?

Akaras

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Jan 14, 2014

could create a very simple cube model just outlining the basic shape and cast a shadow from it if you wanted true looking shadows for a model that is a bit complicated ... I did this in blender before, it was a bit tricky to set up the node editor to get the texture of the shadow but I have found better ways of manipulating images since then so found it may be better to render the shadows as solid and batch process the images to add checkered texture as you add them to the .libs (so the checkered pattern doesn't shift about when animating)

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I think it came out pretty well.
One little irritant on the shadow when its south facing & moving, but otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it.

Flinching is done, i just forgot to do it in the video. Just needs an attack.
About 40 unused frames left, so not an issue there.

[video=youtube;_HO7heVz1eo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HO7heVz1eo&[/video]

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
Loving the Dragon, I've always had a thing about dragons, don't know what it is, any movie, TV show or even game with an awesome dragon gets me hooked, sadly sometimes it's a let down :(

If there's (or going to be) a healthy number of attack animations you can build a really nice AI to go with it, good work.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
There are some unused frames still so i can make some attack animations, tho northing too special, they are just small 'generic movements'. I may just re-purpose the flinch animations as they are rather excessive i think, playing each time It's hit.

Been working on the AI as my first 'proper go'. And I'm really enjoying it, both the learning and seeing it come together in-game.

I've certainly not played every server, but i have yet to see a boss with a real phased, challenging AI. Which really suprises me.

iJam

To the rhythm
VIP
Oct 8, 2007
London
My suggestion would be flaming wooma attack effect frames for its basic attack.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
My suggestion would be flaming wooma attack effect frames for its basic attack.

Thanks for the suggestion.
So far its basic attacks are melee, flame breath is on a cooldown as a 'special attack'.

Not done anything on it today, as this afternoon was spent laughing at my first attemt playing with blender.

---------- Post Merged at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:00 PM ----------

Next project ready~
Had a good few hours playing with models.

UoDmBg.jpg

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
Has that...has that thing got no face? Gonna nope out of there...

But awesome work once again mate. Can't wait to see this all in game.

EDIT: Nope, it has a face. I was looking at the 'helm/hat' i guess

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I have a few hours today, so hopefully make some decent headway on the dragon AI. (Also includes eggs/adds which are new mobs too)
There are some awesome looking models around, I can't wait to play with them eventually.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Hows your server coming on? Are you looking to do open anytime soon?

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
The man's creating a muther****ing dragon, leave him be man, leave him be!

EDIT: But also, **** yes. Update. Us.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Hows your server coming on? Are you looking to do open anytime soon?

I keep getting distracted! This would be much cooler if it has... so i go try do it :shame:
Doesn't help I'm learning new things so the time investment is quite large there (spent 2 hours trying to reset my AI spawn timer on reset this morning)

Really, i should focus on the normal stuff first, but I'm not that organized. If i think something would be better i'd rather spend the time making it than settle for less. It will be worth it in the end, hopefully~

I shall return to finishing of the quest maps once the dragon is done.

Last edited:

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z06QR-tz1_o

One of my fav starting vids.

Not really relevant as such, just you speaking reminded me of a video I saw is all.

I think the series is great, even linked it myself here a few times :)

While i agree with most of it, your right in the sense it's not entirely relevant in this situation. mir has been 'released' here hundreds of times.

IMO putting out something that isnt refined to a decent level is just going to be a wasted time investment. Especially when there are 10 others of the 'same' thing for people to choose from.

It's not like we are working with something brand new, we have a standard base as a starting point that is in-itself 'the game'.

Last edited:

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
I keep getting distracted! This would be much cooler if it has... so i go try do it :shame:
Doesn't help I'm learning new things so the time investment is quite large there (spent 2 hours trying to reset my AI spawn timer on reset this morning)

Really, i should focus on the normal stuff first, but I'm not that organized. If i think something would be better i'd rather spend the time making it than settle for less. It will be worth it in the end, hopefully~

I shall return to finishing of the quest maps once the dragon is done.

Come work with me, together we will create a new world *_*

Last edited:

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Come work with me, together we will create a new world *_*

If i wasn't so far into this, I'd be all over it. In reality, we both have quite different projects going on.

Tho, as mentioned before, I'm happy to help with anything.