Is mir ready for seasons?

TheDayIDie

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jul 29, 2011
UK
So I think this could be applied to both mir2 / mir3 but I'll be basing it crystal files it's open source and is most likely to feature there if anywhere.

Let me know what you think of my the ideas. So here goes my brain dump/ twist on seasons...

----

An account can chose to create one hardcore seasoned character and many standard characters.

The job of a hardcore seasoned character is to progress the furthest in a season.

A hardcore seasoned character will be locked if the player dies. All items on that character will drop and the character will become unplayable. Once a season has ended the season characters will be ranked, and the user can chose to rebirth to seasoned character (to re-use for new season) or to restore it as a standard character.

Seasoned characters and normal characters can play in tandem allowing alliances to boost seasoned players or foes to eliminate or disrupt seasoned progress.

Seasoned characters will be valuable assets to both the player themselves and the groups/guilds in which they enshrine.

Guilds will incorporate a new currency that is dictated by the amount of experience seasoned members gain. Guilds with the most seasoned activity will claim hold to the Seasoned Stronghold (similar to sabuk wall).

All gold lost on seasoned characters will be collected in the Seasoned Shrine for the owners to access as guild funds. Players can mitigate/minimise the amount of gold lost by regularly storing it into their accounts bank.

All seasoned players will be rewarded for their progress however the top ranking player from each class will receive a grand prize in the form of buffs or currency.

Seasoned characters be at a late advantage (due to reset) and will receive a character buff of 100% to drop, exp and gold when creating the character. Seasoned characters may take advantage of currency and items collected by standard characters.

I was thinking ranking could also be based on a number of different factors (would work well if incorporated with progress tracker from a zircon post).

Ideas for rewards:
Custom companions
Custom mounts
Gamegold
Seasoned currency?
+1% account buff to exp, drops and gold for each level gained on your seasoned character.
Class specific statue in Season Stronghold with message engraving.

I think this would be a nice way to introduce a system that is competitive, allows players to 'reroll' or try a new class in an environment that supports a new start.

I also hope that it brings back that fun early grind that mir players love whilst trying to improve their main account.

There also needs to be a risk vs reward factor... maybe for every seasoned player that kills a seasoned player gets xx? However this could easily be exploited if a player choses to make many accounts. I did try to think of an calculation to mitigate this i.e in the form of

pkscore += target.level
pkRank = pkScore * player.level

Meaning each player is valued at it's level (the base score). The value of each point gained is multiplied by the progression / strength of the character (i.e their level).

This could strictly work with seasons because the ability to mass farm high level characters is limited, a level 70 could still create 10 level 1 characters gaining 700 free rank but it's less likely.

I hope that the group buff that season players would/could provide would encourage players to risk their character at boss fights/ high dungeons.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheOnlyOne

Seanofsmeg

Staff member
Apr 6, 2015
Crazy idea.... but i like it. I don't know if mir is a seasoned game so would need to be smart about the rewards and purpose of the grind such as gaining skill / gear that is unobtainable otherwise or access to certain caves? or like Warcraft unlock new playable class such assassin / archer maybe?

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
OTT for Mir doubt it would hold a usercount either only caters to hardcore players. Lets be honest aswell not many people on lomcn could code that, big risk that could end up making **** all for months of coding.

TheDayIDie

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jul 29, 2011
UK
OTT for Mir doubt it would hold a usercount either only caters to hardcore players. Lets be honest aswell not many people on lomcn could code that, big risk that could end up making **** all for months of coding.

I would think a basic implementation (in crystals) would not take long to implement. You could introduce seasoned character by simply adding a seasoned boolean to the character class and modify various functions like (death and buffs initialisation) to cater additional / different functionality if the character is seasoned.

To implement a 'nice' system alongside it... i.e a well thought out / balanced reward & ranking system would take time.

I don't realistically see it being a useful feature for the low user base we have on lomcn... i might be wrong and players made find it incredibly underwhelming and a waste of time...

I personally enjoy the first few months of a mir server, the grouping up and grinding of low levels and feeling like i'm making progress and upgrading... this idea tries encapsulate that experience whilst running in tandem with a fully functional and developed server...

I personally see the system as merely a competitive ego bashing feature where players try to progress the furthest with the challenge of not dying once, this will be a well sort after for the player base that like to PK and show their worth whether they are hunting down seasoned players to eliminate they are targeted and are trying to defend their progress. I assure you players won't be complaining about a carebear server (even if the standard server may be 'friendly') this will offer a new element of enjoyment to those who like to take it to an extra level...

It may be frustrating but the balance of risk vs reward needs to be something that encourages players to participate and hopefully enhance their main character as a consequence of taking time out to progress their seasoned character. I think the difficult bit may be finding a middle ground that will not deter casual 'standard players' that don't want to/ have time play.

I think if done well it would be a nice feature... I have some reservations about how long it would last... you could potentially split it out long enough (i.e 3 - 6 months per season) to allow people to get over the initial grind.. but inevitably people will get bored of the repeat if done too frequently - even with increased rate and the ability to get boosted it may just fizzle out after people boost their characters up to say <50% of what is expected just to receive bonuses.

You could introduce season achievements/ quests that are only accessible via seasoned characters, varying in reward and risk... maybe an incentive to participate.Do I think a server could purely run off of seasons? Probably not.. unless it was a high rate that is purely pvp orientated hence why I think the idea of running the two types of players in tandem would stop segregating and allow a more competitive collaboration.

I guess I have a vision of how it would play out in a successful server with a user count > 200, giving players a distraction when content dries up and there looking for that little bit extra to push them above the rest. think your right it may be OTT and a nice but inevitably redundant addition however I thought i'd share it with you all incase someone wants to work on / adapt the idea...

I would like to get around to implementing it among the many other things I want do to the crystal source but I don't really have the time right now... maybe when I've finished my exams and have more time on my hands to spin up and start developing source code.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Servers getting stale after a couple of months is precisely why i went the 'seasons' route. Either people get bored and leave or the addicts play for the sake of playing, without really enjoying it.

Quite different to your ideas, as my whole setup is completely different here but the premise is the same.

TheDayIDie

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jul 29, 2011
UK
Servers getting stale after a couple of months is precisely why i went the 'seasons' route. Either people get bored and leave or the addicts play for the sake of playing, without really enjoying it.

Quite different to your ideas, as my whole setup is completely different here but the premise is the same.

Interesting.. Is your idea purely evolved around a season based game? or is it like I mentioned with a mix of both? If the former how do you entice people to play/ replay?

Last edited:

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
My take is one 'mode' no mixing.

I can't really explain it simply but it basically just evolves around global events, which change each season.
Can't really compare, as my whole gameplay design is quite different to 'normal' (normal being the typical (slow) endless Mir grind)

How to entice people to play? idk....make it fun? :)
But really, yeah, it's just a game to play for fun. Why do people play any server?

There is an actual purpose to it, things carried over etc and not just randomly wiping every couple of months it does all fit together.

I think there needs to be an actual purpose, and big changes otherwise it's pointless. Not just ad a map and say hey this time you get a new map...
No-one wants to repeat the exact same things for no apparent reason.

Last edited:

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
If you can code all that successfully, code it all from fresh, get your own graphics done, make a new game in its own right and release it.
Fk, Mir, what you're thinking isn't Mir but something that could appeal to Mir players and many others.
Imagine getting several thousand playing with a £1 month app fee !

TheDayIDie

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jul 29, 2011
UK
If you can code all that successfully, code it all from fresh, get your own graphics done, make a new game in its own right and release it.
Fk, Mir, what you're thinking isn't Mir but something that could appeal to Mir players and many others.
Imagine getting several thousand playing with a £1 month app fee !

Sure but it will be probably be built on top of an existing set of files.. I doubt anybody has the time and money to recreate all character, monster, spell, armour, weapon models etc....

If you mean 'own graphics' as in interface then yeah to make a well polished seasons addition i'd expect a dedicated/enhanced interface for it (probably a bit of an overhaul from original char sel screen and maybe ingame interface...)

I don't think a subscription fee is the way to go. A lot of games went from subscription based to f2p with ingame purchasables (i.e game shops), maybe the trend is changing and I'm not aware of it but in my head it sounds like a bad way to go. if you want to monetise this then i'd say your best option is likely to add some kind of token that allows you to restore a season character on top of standard gameshop items they wish to buy to enhance their character..

If you restore a season character though it will be naked so you'd have to rekit before being able to continue...

You could end up running into the p2w argument with players who don't want to donate. I guess you could mitigate by adding other ways to reset (i.e using other in game currencies).

I guess you have different idea's, ones that extend past LOMCN but I don't think realistically i'd be posting these suggestions if I was going to make a dedicated mass market game out of it :P

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
The reason this game is still up is because of "nostalgia", most play because of the same mechanics, same mobs, same level phase, and sprinkle up some "unique" content on it.

Ive seen some users from here that works on "developing" different type of game mode on Crystal. Sure it looks nice but not worth for a long run.

+ you need more, like different interface, different select scene, differeng game scene.

Worth a try but needs lots of time.

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
The reason this game is still up is because of "nostalgia", most play because of the same mechanics, same mobs, same level phase, and sprinkle up some "unique" content on it.

Ive seen some users from here that works on "developing" different type of game mode on Crystal. Sure it looks nice but not worth for a long run.

+ you need more, like different interface, different select scene, differeng game scene.

Worth a try but needs lots of time.

I have to agree with this, I'm all for adding new things to mir but adding seasons or anything similar just removes what mir is. It then becomes something like diablo/POE.

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
I have to agree with this, I'm all for adding new things to mir but adding seasons or anything similar just removes what mir is. It then becomes something like diablo/POE.

He could split patches/updates on Seasons

like Season 1 : Embrace the Darkness - > Open 1 map with some dark-ish stuff etc...

edit : i know mir2 got enough resources to make/edit mobs because its less quality than mir3 32 bit true colour

TheDayIDie

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jul 29, 2011
UK
The idea wasn't to replace the original experience but to add to it... it's merely a 'here you start a new character fresh - with the restriction of NOT dying'... basically an 'elite' mode.. You can chose to start the server as a seasoned and then restore it into a standard character, once the second season comes around you can play again... if you chose to and you will be rewarded for it.. or you can continue to play the standard content...

I think in my head I see that with each season reset there would most likely be a patch to also give something for standard players to work on... it then becomes a tactical game of; do I farm new content/ gear / bosses or do I boost my season character up first to get the rewards. You could also encourage make new patches only available in a season and then roll it over to standard players at the end of the season but then players will probably get peeved off at the fact content is locked and that if they dont want to reset they will have to wait x weeks or months.

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
The idea wasn't to replace the original experience but to add to it... it's merely a 'here you start a new character fresh - with the restriction of NOT dying'... basically an 'elite' mode.. You can chose to start the server as a seasoned and then restore it into a standard character, once the second season comes around you can play again... if you chose to and you will be rewarded for it.. or you can continue to play the standard content...

I think in my head I see that with each season reset there would most likely be a patch to also give something for standard players to work on... it then becomes a tactical game of; do I farm new content/ gear / bosses or do I boost my season character up first to get the rewards. You could also encourage make new patches only available in a season and then roll it over to standard players at the end of the season but then players will probably get peeved off at the fact content is locked and that if they dont want to reset they will have to wait x weeks or months.

I would suggest you to think the base, what you want? what systems? what progress phase? what content?

Far is a good guide and he can help i guess since i seen he is very helpful on crystal section.

TheDayIDie

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jul 29, 2011
UK
I would suggest you to think the base, what you want? what systems? what progress phase? what content?

Far is a good guide and he can help i guess since i seen he is very helpful on crystal section.

It wasn't a proposal for someone to develop into crystal it was just a suggestion / conversation starter.

I know how I would implement it and how it would work I also know that this isn't an 'official' feature as listed on crystal's todo list (if that still exists)... but who want's to develop a set of files without having some fun whacky elements...

I'm just looking for ideas / feedback. If I get defensive it's because I'm prepared to argue my thoughts/opinion to try challenge/ improve on people's comments. Don't take this the wrong way but it seems that everyone gets the impression I want someone to develop this for me or I will be developing this...

Sure I have thought it out thoroughly and think it would be fun and cool to work on but realistically i won't work on crystal source actively for at least another 6 months.

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
It wasn't a proposal for someone to develop into crystal it was just a suggestion / conversation starter.

I know how I would implement it and how it would work I also know that this isn't an 'official' feature as listed on crystal's todo list (if that still exists)... but who want's to develop a set of files without having some fun whacky elements...

I'm just looking for ideas / feedback. If I get defensive it's because I'm prepared to argue my thoughts/opinion to try challenge/ improve on people's comments. Don't take this the wrong way but it seems that everyone gets the impression I want someone to develop this for me or I will be developing this...

Sure I have thought it out thoroughly and think it would be fun and cool to work on but realistically i won't work on crystal source actively for at least another 6 months.

Never said you want some one to develop it for you.

Your idea sounds good (for a long time project) but it may worth in the end.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I'm all for fun stuff, and seasons is a good idea, but honestly I'm not really feeling the 2 mix. I think it needs to be a one or the other choice. There is a good reason they are usually separated.

What about PvP/PK would that count as dying? If so then yeah..i don't know how that would pan out.

Maybe run 2 seperate servers, HC and normal, when you die on HC you move over. The standard route. But then were into a potential population issue, so idk.

TheDayIDie

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jul 29, 2011
UK
I'm all for fun stuff, and seasons is a good idea, but honestly I'm not really feeling the 2 mix. I think it needs to be a one or the other choice. There is a good reason they are usually separated.

What about PvP/PK would that count as dying? If so then yeah..i don't know how that would pan out.

Maybe run 2 seperate servers, HC and normal, when you die on HC you move over. The standard route. But then were into a potential population issue, so idk.

I do mention how standard and season players could integrate. There is a risk of some idiot sitting in the start town killing all the noobs.

One way to mitigate this... get some friends to help protect you.

Another way, make the starting town random or allow the player to chose a starting location.

So yes they would still die and lose their character and I think I'd encourage PvP from both sides. Seasoned players would be warned of this and should just be extra cautious with the potential of being killed whether it's in PvP or PvE there will be content that can 1-shot them. They should learn to keep their fingers on the tt button.

Maybe give seasoned players x2 HP as a boost so they are less vulnerable and have more time to react.. not sure.

Last edited: