Player housing system.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Not posted anything content wise for a while, so this is what i've been working on this last couple of days.
First stage in the new player housing system I've been working on.
(Right click > view image for a better/larger picture)

Always loved the idea of player housing, but put off by the segregation that comes with it. However, i have a system in place that allows all players to see who is where and visit their respective hideouts.

The main building area & farm will change/be built as you progress.
Also comes with an expanding mine and a small lake for fishing.

UFoX4u.jpg

Not as 'detailed' as my previous work, but trying to be a bit more realistic, took maybe 3/4 hours total ignoring the middle image issues we went through. If i spend a month on every map I'm never going to get anywhere.

Last edited:

meijiz

Banned
Banned
May 17, 2017
The idea is great don’t know if u have played ArcheAge before if u could implement some of those features would be awesome, for example ppl can grow mats in their farms and craft potions and sell on auction house, the more proficiency u have the better pots u can craft, or crafting trade packs and moving those packs to different area to get rewards and other players can pk the person that carries trade pack and steal it and turning it in. Not sure if these features can be implement into mir, otherwise will be rlly fun to play

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
No, i haven't played ArcheAge.

The purpose of the farm is to grow the food/herbs used in my cooking/alchemy recipes.

The trade part sounds a lot like trading in BDO, from experience I can say that was terribly boring, not something I considered implementing.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
It looks really cool, how would you develop your your housing map, through quests or through other means?
As it might be cool to originally have the mine say blocked off, then have it cleared out after you hit a certain milestone etc.

Overall for a few hours work, the map looks great!

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
List of my man crushes:

Ryan Reynolds
Ryan Reynolds
Chalace

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
It looks really cool, how would you develop your your housing map, through quests or through other means?
As it might be cool to originally have the mine say blocked off, then have it cleared out after you hit a certain milestone etc.

Overall for a few hours work, the map looks great!

Nothing too fancy.

The way i tested the system was to use a combination of npc(saved values) and quests for gathering the necessary materials. Basically just a quest line to get them built.

For the mine, it is locked to begin with. The idea is to start with a small area, and expand in 3 stages.
The Farm/mine are not exactly player 'interactive', the purpose is resource generation that you use 'workers' for. Providing recources over time depending on how much investment you make in them.

Didn't want this housing to be somewhere you spend a great deal of time, just somewhere that provides a bit of material and convenience after you put the effort in to get it going.

--

Ill add the next few stages tonight (they are only small map changes), then it will probably make a bit more sense.

Initially i wanted players to have a choice in the order in which they built things, but that proved to be far too many map variations, so there will be a fairly linear progression. i.e the 'home' must be built first before you can add the farm/mine.

Last edited:

huggybear

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Looks pretty awesome dude keep it up ^^
Been working on something similar but for guild territory instead. =)

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
About this housing is kinda cool idea i would also like to sprinke some things i would like to add (atleast on my side when i will start building some maps i been dreaming about) :

This map to have 4-5 Sequences

1. Player buys one lot, he can pick map size 62x62 100x100 .. etc
2. Once he buys he has the key to enter and can allow other players on it
3. He will start build the house with the materials found in the parcel lot. I see some wood, bricks, mud, what so ever, can be creative.
4. Now returning on the sequence, first day he collects the materials and starts the building, i been checking the objects atleast for wtl/wil mir3 and theres plenty houses walls, base, so on..
5. Day 2 he starts to build the house, you can make a system on server to change from map ex. : ID2_000 to ID2_001 with the walls and base done.
6. Day 3 he adds the roof, change map from ID2_001 to ID2_002.

Player doesnt need to know the backend process but he would be blown away when he sees the house building process

Also can add some customizable things on the map, like plant seeds for roses bushes, trees, so on.

edit : sorry i didnt knew you planned this already, i didnt read the whole description :P

Last edited:

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Nothing too fancy.

The way i tested the system was to use a combination of npc(saved values) and quests for gathering the necessary materials. Basically just a quest line to get them built.

For the mine, it is locked to begin with. The idea is to start with a small area, and expand in 3 stages.
The Farm/mine are not exactly player 'interactive', the purpose is resource generation that you use 'workers' for. Providing recources over time depending on how much investment you make in them.

Didn't want this housing to be somewhere you spend a great deal of time, just somewhere that provides a bit of material and convenience after you put the effort in to get it going.

--

Ill add the next few stages tonight (they are only small map changes), then it will probably make a bit more sense.

Initially i wanted players to have a choice in the order in which they built things, but that proved to be far too many map variations, so there will be a fairly linear progression. i.e the 'home' must be built first before you can add the farm/mine.

Very good concept, i also like that you are trying to make it so you dont stay in your own area (so main towns don't get abandoned) there is something very 'mir' about seeing tons of people crowded in a safe zone! ha

Linear for this kind of thing is always best, (so build your house, then farm, open the mines etc.) as not only does it create a boat load more work, if something goes wrong, you need to track the specific steps that person has taken rather than a single path to troubleshoot.

As always, goodwork Chalace! look forward to you releasing you server!

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Very good concept, i also like that you are trying to make it so you dont stay in your own area (so main towns don't get abandoned) there is something very 'mir' about seeing tons of people crowded in a safe zone! ha

Linear for this kind of thing is always best, (so build your house, then farm, open the mines etc.) as not only does it create a boat load more work, if something goes wrong, you need to track the specific steps that person has taken rather than a single path to troubleshoot.

As always, goodwork Chalace! look forward to you releasing you server!

The end-game map system is activated from a central location in the main town, next to storage, so hoping that will be the main 'hub' for people to congregate.

The main purpose of the housing is that you will be able to add all of the crafting tables, and information boards into your house, all in 1/2 rooms. Ass opposed to the basic implementation, running around the towns to different vendors.

Also some recipes only available once you have your own workshop set-up.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I just couldn't do it! Had to spend some more time on the map, added some details and re-alligned a bunch of trees etc so they were a bit more acceptable.

Update for some of the main house stages:

(5th) Final stage isn't quite done yet, will remeove all the up-rooted trees etc and add some more bits, maybe statues etc, not decided yet. Just somethign to make it look a bit less bare.

3SntK2.jpg

TZijMO.jpg

wxBPns.jpg

bT2mPC.jpg

RAXru7.jpg

Last edited:

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Reminds of shanda Sw system

No idea what that is, but they are Shanda tiles, so I'd imagine they had some kind of building system.
Also a bunch of siege stuff in there too.

I'm thinking about adding statues/decorations etc, tied to achievements.
e.g When you complete the WTSpirit Achievement, you would have a WT statue appear in the hideout.

So your hideout becomes kind of a showcase too, what do you think?
Tho I'm not sure i could make these visible to everyone, just yourself.

Last edited:

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Yes you build up SW TOWN :)

How does that work?
Every time you win SW you have to re-build it?

I assume they have the siege things ingame, as i see assets for the workshops etc, how do they work?

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
Whats the point/purpose of the house though?

I mean, it's a pretty cool idea but does seem like a lot of work for negligible benefit/game-play impact.

How will it effect the game play? , what sort of benefits will having a house have? Will you be able to capture other peoples houses/raid them?
(I always enjoyed raiding another guilds Guild Territory on euro)

Idea - should make them guild houses, and not individual player houses.

Technical question - Do the different stages auto-update in real time, or do you have to relog?
Something like that could really be expanded on.... creating a town full of map objects, destructable/buildable environments....

Last edited:

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Its a good idea with the housing being built up - but I don't think sabuk wall palace fits.

In a small personal map where you have your own mine and farm I would expect a small village house and walls - much like the wizards house (surrounded by small walls) in border village.

Obviously I know you probably went with the palace because of its multiple building states - but it just seems to stand out personally.

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
Its a good idea with the housing being built up - but I don't think sabuk wall palace fits.

In a small personal map where you have your own mine and farm I would expect a small village house and walls - much like the wizards house (surrounded by small walls) in border village.

Obviously I know you probably went with the palace because of its multiple building states - but it just seems to stand out personally.

Yeah kinda agree with that actually, but realistically it's the only option he has. I can't recall any other variety having the step-by-step images, so unless someone fancies drawing some more :) It's acceptable for the exciting new system (of sorts) in my opinion at least.