Unique mob design - what skills would be required?

I_AM_BORED

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 18, 2006
With the age / complexity of mir 2, what exactly would a graphic designer need to be fluent in to create completely unique NPCs & mobs for mir? No AI or anything, just the images.

it's something thats rarely seen on mir 2 servers maybe due to the complexity of the files (or age) so i was wondering how difficult it would be.

---------- Post Merged on 14-06-2018 at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous Post was on 11-06-2018 at 04:20 PM ----------

bump

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
There are a maximum of 8 directions a player or mob can move.
Whatever your method of creating the graphic model, you'd need to be able to save each full movement sequence into multiple single bmp images.
Each movement will need to be saved in each of the 8 directions.
The images are then played back to recreate the movement.

NPCs are slightly different than mob in that they usually only face a few directions.

I_AM_BORED

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 18, 2006
Thanks for the reply Ardbeg, appreciate the info.
Any idea which programs are best for creating the graphic model?

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
It's actually a lot simpler than it seems.
This is what i used for the dragon i put in.

iCv4mY.jpg

And in-game.
[video=youtube_share;_HO7heVz1eo]https://youtu.be/_HO7heVz1eo[/video]

Akaras

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Jan 14, 2014
If you can create a 3D model you can render it from the 8 directions and use the resulting images to create a monster... just a case of setting up the cameras and getting it to look decent with lighting, textures, etc..

Shadows can be a little more tricky... you can either do it the Mir3 style where you rotate and stretch the 2D images then turn that into the checkerd effect... or you can use the 3D programme to render the shadow as a seperate image to the main monster image... then add the checkered effect and merge the images (I prefer this way if you actually have the 3D model, if you are using pre made 2D images obviously you have to do it the other way)

I'm always interested in seeing what other people make so hope you give it a shot and make something really cool... if you run into problems feel free to ask