Opinion on Restricted Maps (by Level)

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
So I have a fair few maps on my server, and to almost stagger their release by the natural growth of players, I was thinking of level restricting some areas (what is your guys opinion on this?)

I know some players and casual players can get upset by this so I also have an solution of sorts which is;

You can get access to restricted caves by doing a daily quest which gives you a token that lasts until your daily quests reset. - this token gives you one time access to that specific cave (or lessens the level requirement while you hold that item) so to both restrict the cave but not punish the casuals for not hammering out the caves.

Just wanted peoples opinions on this idea before I consider it to implement it!

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
well i have prajna restricted to level 30+ and PB is 33+ with a timestonepiece, might make pb free for 40+ but undecided.

i think level restricting places is a bit of a double edged sword, i side its great to work towards something like a goal/achievement on the other side it stops newer players trying to catch up by utilizing the increased exp of certain areas.

exp events for lower levels tends to balance that out, or can do. imo

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
That's my only issue is I don't want to punish players but I also want to reward dedicated players
I am looking to add in Map Buffs to my source in the near future.

This will allow me to modify exp rates on maps for low levels if it's needed as people progress, as well as add temp map buffs that buff mobs to make low level areas re-purposed

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003
That's my only issue is I don't want to punish players but I also want to reward dedicated players
I am looking to add in Map Buffs to my source in the near future.

This will allow me to modify exp rates on maps for low levels if it's needed as people progress, as well as add temp map buffs that buff mobs to make low level areas re-purposed

We did this , never used it much.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
not sure how your server will work, but what about quest restricting them? Just stop a quest line before the map (based on level maybe?)

They could enter the map, but not be gaining anything of advantage due to not doing the quest.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
not sure how your server will work, but what about quest restricting them? Just stop a quest line before the map (based on level maybe?)

They could enter the map, but not be gaining anything of advantage due to not doing the quest.

Not a bad idea, might also rather than restricting the entire cave, make the lower floors inaccessible; make it weave into the quest chain story so it makes sense, such as pillars needing to be activated to "remove the magic presence" around a door.

blink

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 1, 2014
consider
usually a group of players geek it at start to be ahead of everyone else/pay to be levelled use pay to win exp pots to get the advantage of being ahead of every one else so they can wear better items have level 3 skills or better skills.
I suggest that as new maps are introduced, cap the old ones and double the exp in them to allow average/casial players a chance to catch up with the determined to dominate ones. In my opinion they aren't always that good a player just able to be higher levels than everyone else.