Sep 15, 2005
Norwich

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Supporter
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Kk, here's a suggestion for next one when you save maps, go File -> Save as .bmp and well it removes rest of things we don't need to see like you talking to MY glenn and MY boothy :P, so don't you get ideas.

Also i like the Rock idea around edge.. however to be kind.. i have to be harsh, and point out some big and small issues.

1) Attributes around edge are not constant, meaning i can get to edge of map even though you've put block there. Also you can RT behind them.

To fix this... go around with single attributes to ensure there is no way for a player to escape the "ring" then once you got a "ring" around the map.. fill the outside of it, its a bit like paint bucket on paint, if there's a gap.. it will fill entire page.. which is why i say go around first with single attributes.

2) I don't know how you did that brown path.. but its mucky as hell, did you detail tile the entire thing :S? Because the edges are awful;

To fix this.. simply use Autodraw... maybe you did and it fked up somewhere but for the scale of this.. i don't think that it was a program error, if it is im sorry.

Thats end of big issues, minor ones are

1) Tile blendings to bases of object, its not needed, but sometimes its alot nicer to see items "blended" together nicely so sand based objects on sand.. not on grass etc

2) Outside bit of the village is kinda empty.. couple trees, couple bushes, and couple rocks would be nice.

If you want some help, add me on msn [email protected] :), and dont worry.. my first few maps were worse than yours :P

Tom27

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 15, 2005
Norwich
Like it said its only like my 5th map ive ever attempted so im learning slowly.
I havent attempted to use autodraw atm, im just seing what i can do with the buttons and blending them together.

Town - ive purposely set it out like that because the front bit of it is already too squeezy, or do you mean the blue town bit?

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 1, 2004
Best way to learn Is by looking at euro maps, aim for a crisp finish. The more time you spend making them look neat. The more you will learn.

Not a bad attempt at a map tho m8, keep it up :)

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Supporter
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Like it said its only like my 5th map ive ever attempted so im learning slowly.
I havent attempted to use autodraw atm, im just seing what i can do with the buttons and blending them together.

Town - ive purposely set it out like that because the front bit of it is already too squeezy, or do you mean the blue town bit?

Well your learning to use the tiles the wrong way, you want to use auto draw and fill first, then detail. Aswell with auto draw, you wont get that awful tile repetition you got.. which you can see in the image.

If your looking to make maps more, you need to fix things you do wrong earlier such a attributes, or all your releases will need fixes.

As im said, im not putting your work down.. as im sure you dont want to in 2-3 months go back and redo all your maps..

Mask

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Jun 20, 2003
United Kingdom
your getting better but some things need improving.

the rocks around the edge are all the same. you would be running past them like the old cartoons where the images are just repeating over and over :P

secondly Im pretty sure the objects you have added require a bichon sand type tile around their base, as they will not blend with the grass. (looks dodgy ingame)

the others have pretty much said the rest.

after you think youve finished a map always check it ingame, you will notice things much more clearly than you will on the mapedit.

T0MMY

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 5, 2007
United Kingdom
Getting better, however tip: try use more detail rather than a town and just boxed off with rocks/trees.

Try have details scattered around the map, makes it more interesting.