Buying a computer

smoochy boys on tour

Shard

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 12, 2003
Budget of around 700 pounds. Will be used for gaming and listening to music. Speaker card must be 2.1 compatable, and a wireless card must be included (54g).

www.komplett.co.uk
www.scan.co.uk
www.novatech.co.uk

Could the kind person check through these websites and see which is the cheapest for the potential setup?

A monitor must be included, TFT of any size.

Thanks in advance :)

Davyv

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 8, 2004
South Wales
just wondering why u chose an opteron instead of a athlon, so whats the differences, and why did u choose a 128mb GFX card instead of a 256mb since he said hes going to use it for gaming and listening to music? remember im a total noob at pcs so i dno it culd b an amazing 128mb GFX jus i think their mainly rated in that way, n wuldnt a cheap 256mb card beat a gd 128mb card?(i hav no idea lol). also i think of opterons as like a compaq pc jus coz they sound crap n no 1 seems to hav them lol :P

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Davyv said:
just wondering why u chose an opteron instead of a athlon, so whats the differences, and why did u choose a 128mb GFX card instead of a 256mb since he said hes going to use it for gaming and listening to music? remember im a total noob at pcs so i dno it culd b an amazing 128mb GFX jus i think their mainly rated in that way, n wuldnt a cheap 256mb card beat a gd 128mb card?(i hav no idea lol). also i think of opterons as like a compaq pc jus coz they sound crap n no 1 seems to hav them lol :P

Opteron is the same as A64, except it always has 1MB of cache and better stepping. Opteron is also a brand new CPU concerning the s939 desktop market.

That videocard for 100 pounds is the best for 100 pounds. Video ram only means something when the videocard chipset is good. In other words, this 128MB GFX card wipes the floor with say an FX5200 256MB. Video card also has nothing to do with sound.

Mar 23, 2003
Cairo Orbital Defence Platform
Auron's derivative:

I decided to cut back on the processor and brand name ram, and hard disk size. In exchange, you get a bigger PSU, and a better branded graphics card.

Down to you how you'd choose it, though I personally would opt for the cheaper processor and push the extra 200mhz of speed out of the ram.....

Oh, and if you're ever buying nVidia.....buy Gainward ;p

Attachments

• Auronation.gif
    Auronation.gif
    37.9 KB · Views: 42

Shard

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 12, 2003
How much cash would I need to go to in order to make all games run comfortably, not jumping and stuff?

Didn't know Opteron's were used for gaming PCs, I've only seen them in servers :S Shows how much I know.

Is there a difference between name-branded RAM and the RAM Auron posted? They both have the same speed thingy, is there a difference in clocking or something?

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Shard said:
How much cash would I need to go to in order to make all games run comfortably, not jumping and stuff?

Didn't know Opteron's were used for gaming PCs, I've only seen them in servers :S Shows how much I know.

Is there a difference between name-branded RAM and the RAM Auron posted? They both have the same speed thingy, is there a difference in clocking or something?

depends on what games you play and what setting syou like.

Opterons have just been released as desktop CPU's very recently.

Well, for 3 pounds more you get better timings (better performance) and it aint bargain brand.

Mar 23, 2003
urbanfox said:
depends on what games you play and what setting syou like.

Opterons have just been released as desktop CPU's very recently.

Well, for 3 pounds more you get better timings (better performance) and it aint bargain brand.

From what I can see, they're both CAS2.5 (CAS having the largest effect as far as RAM timings go).

--

The best value desktop opterons are the 165's. Essentially lower-clocked AMD64 X2 4400's. And the price.....through the floor.

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
¤]´)÷¤--§îr Äürøñ--¤÷(`[¤ said:
From what I can see, they're both CAS2.5 (CAS having the largest effect as far as RAM timings go).

--

The best value desktop opterons are the 165's. Essentially lower-clocked AMD64 X2 4400's. And the price.....through the floor.

The twinmos are 2.5-3-3-7 and the valueram is more than likely 2.5-4-4-8.

TRCD and TRP are VERY important for Athlon 64 systems.

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
ooo fascinating, always nice to see professionals debate over best choice :P

Davyv

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 8, 2004
South Wales
well i was going to buy a amd athlon 3800+ dual from say komplett. but are opterons better at a lower price r u saying? explain as if u was explaining to a noob at computing considering i would never even think about buying a opteron. whats the ups and downs of each ect. ty

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Davyv said:
well i was going to buy a amd athlon 3800+ dual from say komplett. but are opterons better at a lower price r u saying? explain as if u was explaining to a noob at computing considering i would never even think about buying a opteron. whats the ups and downs of each ect. ty

Single core opterons are usually lower in price than their same mhz A64 counterparts.

Opterons have more cache than most A64's (1MB vs. 512KB) and have a better core with better overclocking potential.

Dual core opterons are usually slightly more expensive then dual core A64's and only come with 2x1MB of cache vs. some 2x512KB cache A64 dual core models (3800/4200).

If you don't overclock, I would go with the X2 3800. If you do overclock, I would go with the opteron 165.

Mar 23, 2003
Davyv said:

The Dual-Core Opteron 165 at 1.8GHZ is cheaper/same price as the 3800+, and by overclocking it slightly, you can get FAR better performance.

The double-sized cache can make a LOT of difference, and for the same price, it's totally worth it.