CD-ROM and monitor.

BloodRaven

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 5, 2005
Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight
I have just recently bought myself a 52x CD Drive and installed it, (I've connected IDE cables etc.) but now I have a problem ever since I have added this new hardware nothing at all shows up on my monitor. This is the only thing that I have done to my computer and I am pretty sure nothing else is damaged,

Although I have hardly have any hardware experience I don't think that installing a CD Drive would actually stop the image data from being sent to the monitor.

If anyone has any fixs for this problem please let me know.

/B.R.

Zidio

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Nov 2, 2005
LOMCN
1st of all i wud try a differ moniter if this does not work ur looking to buy a new motherboard i have had this problem b4 where nothign shew up on my screen i replaced my motherboard and wlaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh worked (bloody piss take tho) :(

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003
Does the computer definitely boot up?

If so, how careful were you whilst fiddiling inside the computer? A dead monitor is normally an indication you've screwed a connection on the mobo or killed the cpu.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
did u make sure you grounded yourself befor changing the drive? its highly possible that u shocked a component inside.

BloodRaven

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 5, 2005
The computer switches on, CPU fan and case Fan spin round, and it does boot up properly, I can even hear the windows logon sound through my spkeakers. I have tried with a different graphics card and different moniter, perhaps I accidently shocked the MotherBoard or something. I'll get another board from somewhere.

Urban, could you find me the best computer I can afford, I can go as far up as £800.

Thanks for the help people. :)

/B.R.

Last edited:

BloodRaven

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 5, 2005
I cleared the CMOS and reconnected everything and still nothing.

I like MMORPGs. I play SWG, LOM, WoooL, I also play RTS and FPS AoE 3 etc etc.

I also do a lot of programming and database work so I need something that can handle that reasonably well. Nothing OTT.

/B.R.

Dataforce

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 15, 2003
have you tried removing the drive and seeing if it still works? or getting another gfx card first to see if that works?

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
i kno this is probably the most stupid answer. but here me out.

today i installed a new dvd drive for my mate, first we unplugged everything, when we were done we put everything back, but nothing was on the monitor. the monitor had power, but was just black.

i then pressed the standby button a few times and it eventually came on.

bare in mind we neva usually had to press it, so dont laugh at me.

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
Yea I'd go with what Dataforce said, in terms of removing the drive and seeing if the monitor works. I have no idea if there can be a driver or resource clash between the two different hardware but... also we're assuming your using a graphics card and not onboard VGA, perhaps your computer isn't getting adequate power?

(Don't do anything I say/might have hinted until one of the pros here [Urban,Auran,Data etc] give you the thumbs up! lol)

BloodRaven

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 5, 2005
DataForce: I haven't tried seeing if the CD-Drive is working or not. I have tried a new graphics card though but it doesn't work.

Farril: Don't worry about it, and I tried what you said, but alas it didn't work.

Turin: From what I know a CD-Drive and Graphics Card or monitor drivers don't clash, maybe my comp doesn't have adequate power but how can a CD-Drive drain the rest of the juice in my PSU and still require more power. That to me seems almost impossible as I only have 1 HDR, 1CD-RW, 1 CD-Drive, Motherboard, Fans etc etc just the normal stuff. and I still have a couple of power cables free off the Power Supply.

Thanks for all the help,

/B.R.

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
Appologies for not being able to help you on your hardware problem. It is always possible that you damaged a part of the mobo that has to do with the monitor somehow when installing the drive.

Ill leave it to the experts, hope you can fix it.

kud125

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 18, 2004
sounds like problem i had, my monitor used to jsut go into standby mode when i booted my pc up, i caused this problem a different way but was still through shick which you could of done, and my resolution was a new motherboard, and that fixed it

its a shame the tard at the pc shop fitted a ****piece motherboard :)