Finding IP from SSID

Join Discord

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Unfortunately networking has never been one of my major strong points, so i'm unsure on exactly how this works.

I have a laptop on wireless, which picks up several virgin and BT routers around my area.

All of these are protected with WEP keys, however as they haven't made their SSID private i'm wondering if its possible to find their external IP address from their SSID name - from this ill be able to connect to their router login, use the generic Virgin media login and password (which 90% of customers don't change) and find their WEP key to connect.

I've got programs such as Network Stumbler, and can be use in conjunction with a port sniffer - unfortunately my current wi-fi adapters are not supported for it so i can't try that method.

I've also got wireshark, however i've never used it before - and am unsure if i actually need to be connected to their network first before i can sniff their packets.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Yes i know i can get the password by breaking the encryption, but i want to avoid that if possible as its very time consuming. All i really want is their external ip - so i can log in to their router.

ive got an app to get past thompson routers, but unfortunately it doesn't work with virgin ones.

It's more curiosity than anything now, i have internet - but i'm wondering if the method im asking if possible.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Unfortunately networking has never been one of my major strong points, so i'm unsure on exactly how this works.

I have a laptop on wireless, which picks up several virgin and BT routers around my area.

All of these are protected with WEP keys, however as they haven't made their SSID private i'm wondering if its possible to find their external IP address from their SSID name - from this ill be able to connect to their router login, use the generic Virgin media login and password (which 90% of customers don't change) and find their WEP key to connect.

I've got programs such as Network Stumbler, and can be use in conjunction with a port sniffer - unfortunately my current wi-fi adapters are not supported for it so i can't try that method.

I've also got wireshark, however i've never used it before - and am unsure if i actually need to be connected to their network first before i can sniff their packets.

Lols