freeboxHD

Link267

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 7, 2006
Well there was this programme on tv last night abour broadband services etc. I missed it but my gran taped it for me. I watched it and omg! UK has crap providers and crap connections! Well on this programme these people went to france to have a look at one of their things they have. Its like a tv box (sky digital) in your front room but this was called "freeboxHD" Now this was really fast, It ran the internet. (the person was getting 26mb downlaod per second) Now thats Fast! They could have all different laptops/computers in the house running the tv all from this 1 box and it wouldnt affect anything else. Omg i told my mum i wanna move to france. They so OWN us. Do u guys think we will ever get this?

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
as long as the major players can overcharge us for slow and limited services, and we remain ignorant to the true capabilities of net tech nowadays... they wont employ this. least most ppl arent on 56k anymore though. thats a major step forwad for this country.

Link267

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 7, 2006
lol the programme was bout tht lol, there were this family still on dialup for £17 a month lol

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
lol >.< sounds about right. bet they bought the pc from PCWorld for £1800 too n its only a 2Ghz 512mb ram dinosaur...

Link267

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 7, 2006
what ? lol wer tlkin bout internet and all the technology france has better than UK!

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
yeah, and ppl not realising that £17 a month for 56k dialup is a rip off. Those same people probably wouldnt realise that their pc both crap and a rip off too... the UK has this technology just we aint supplied it cos we're not demanding it. we're happy with what we've got cos we dont know any better.

Babyhack

Devilsoul Owner
VIP
Feb 4, 2004
Dublin, Ireland
That was one person in France (and who knows what he is paying for it) and the program was made to make the English ISPs look bad

Of course they are going to show the best that France or any other country has to offer and the worst the the UK has to offer

I bet the normal joe soap in France has the same BB as the normal joe soap in the UK

I have 100meg in the office and 10meg at home, I have friends who have 2meg, I know someone who is on 56k
If I wanted and had the money I could have 100meg at home so could anybody

The point is if you want superfast internet it is out there but you will have to pay for it

The reason people use NTL and all of those is because thats the first thing that the think of related to BB (good marketing) but if you look you will see that there is faster and better out there

BH

kud125

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 18, 2004
Link267 said:
Well there was this programme on tv last night abour broadband services etc. I missed it but my gran taped it for me. I watched it and omg! UK has crap providers and crap connections! Well on this programme these people went to france to have a look at one of their things they have. Its like a tv box (sky digital) in your front room but this was called "freeboxHD" Now this was really fast, It ran the internet. (the person was getting 26mb downlaod per second) Now thats Fast! They could have all different laptops/computers in the house running the tv all from this 1 box and it wouldnt affect anything else. Omg i told my mum i wanna move to france. They so OWN us. Do u guys think we will ever get this?
the majority of the population of the UK, probably don't really need 26mb or any major high end connection, the most a regular person uses the internet for is really downloading about 4mb size mp3's, researching, and probably shopping, and small tasks such as this, not everyone in the UK is running servers/downloading huge torrent files/having usenet, are they?

If my nan was to get broadband she wouldn't want 100meg broadband just for the sake of having the latest technology.
For what i do with the internet my blueyonder 4mb line does the job just great thank you very much

Also, did that programme happen to show a really rich french guy? because if you found a well paid/rich guy in the UK he's bound to have great internet and technology you've not seen or heard of.

Link267

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 7, 2006
kud im not bothered what you have :S people want higher! and cheaper!

kud125

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 18, 2004
Link267 said:
kud im not bothered what you have :S people want higher! and cheaper!
how do you know people want higher speeds?
i didn't expect you to care what i have, i was just merely stating most people only really want their internet speed for what they use the internet for, an average person wouldn't want or need a 26mb connection, most people i know don't even have a clue what the speed rating of their connection means.

i agree with the cheaper bit, it's human nature really to want more for less and get everything cheaper, it's the way the world works, not just for internet.

Last edited:

konnichiwa

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 26, 2003
Someone has just moved to where I work from Sweden, all his communications services comes over TCP/IP, TV, Phone, Internet! They have super fast connections, all for about £8 per month (at current exchange rates).

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
konnichiwa said:
Someone has just moved to where I work from Sweden, all his communications services comes over TCP/IP, TV, Phone, Internet! They have super fast connections, all for about £8 per month (at current exchange rates).

Indeed. Many of the people i play World of Warcraft with have 10MB+ as a standard connection, many of them run on around 100MB, its their basic service.

The UK is always poor in terms of service and pricing. We always pay more than we have to compared to other countries in Europe. We used to be able to pride ourselves on the customer services we provided, but now we hace to deal with the fact those customer services are being shipped to India.

Northern Ireland has far better Broadband coverage than Mainland UK, partly due to the fact its not got a ****ty infrastructue, and partly due to the fact it neighbours R.O.I who provide cheaper prices.