General Torrent Question - Nothing serious!

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
Well out of curiousity and partly boredom I was watching a download on torrent. I was using Azureus and saw that my lil face was green, signifying a healthy connection. The download in question had over 1700 seeders, with 80-100 connected over the period of download. My speed has been fluctuating between (what is quite low for my connection) 12kbs and 60kbs. I have absolutely no NAT problems (hence the green face) and my TCP/IP configuration is perfect for my 2mb connetion.(over network, ratio split of 1:1 over wireless to another computer on my network, hence a total of 4mb connection when the rest of network is idle)

Is there something I've missed? Any tweaks I could make to increase download speed? Considering the tracker/number of seeds seem to be healthy on this torrent.

By the way I am using Mininova's Chronicle of Narnia.

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Increase the upload limit and give it some time (could take well upto 1 hour to get to full speed).

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
My upload limit is set to 80% of my total, that is 204kbs. (My upload is 256kbs)

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
urbanfox said:
Just because a torrent is healthy and it SAYS it has a lot of speeders doesn't garentee fast speeds.

What did you do router wise to split the connection?

USRobotic's has some software that let's you adjust the ratio of bandwith between the clients, but I only have two computer's on this line, so its a simple split, with both having a maximum of 1/2 the bandwith when both are active. If the other is inactive, you get access to 100% bandwith (80%? QoS?)

What you mean by "says it has a lot of seeder's" m8? It has 98(1536) in the seeder's tab. I suppose that means out of 1536 possible seeders I'm only connected to 98.

Ty in advance
:mooned:

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
urbanfox said:
I mean just because there's a lot of people seeding the file does not mean you will get fast speeds, many other factors can hampen the download speed including a lot of leechers.

hmm does the "seed" number just mean how many people have downloaded it? Not that they are actively seeding? :| I thought that was the "peer" part of it ><

graph_16.png

Turin :tongue1:

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
Im lucky, i download ont here about 4meg a sec whilst uploading 2meg.

but i use a VPS hehehehe! <-- clever

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
hmm a quick google tells me that a VPS is the Vietnamese Professionals Society (mm...) or the high quality, cheap eye care plan :|

lol, oh btw urban,

graph_16.png

relates to about 9000 leeches and 1024+ seeds lol

GilgaMesh

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 12, 2004
St Helens
Turin said:
relates to about 9000 leeches and 1024+ seeds lol

Thats the reason for your slow speed, really you want more seeders than leechers as this will mean you have more chance of getting top speeds. Try to only download torrent's with the amount of leechers close the the amount of seeders.

MutantlX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 22, 2004
Newcastle
also id like to add if your uploading at your near max this will bring your download dramatically. you may lose up to 30 - 40kps

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
Ah thanks for your input guys I've finally managed to download it, and I'm uploading until it reached 1.0 at least.

I understand that the upload must be lowered to around 80% because of acknoledgments etc.

Thnks again
Turin