getting laptop on the internet.

smoochy boys on tour

peppe

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 30, 2004
if i buy a laptop how i get it on the net,can i use my usb or ethernet 1 in pc and 1 in laptop will that work ? ty

Casium

LOMCN n00bie
Jul 15, 2006
Given it's a laptop, best 2 use wireless equipment.

Go grab a netgear pccard and a netgear usb stick. Use the stick on ur pc, and the pccard on your laptop. Then use windows ad-hoc networking.

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Just buy a Wireless router. Trust me, you won't want to be tied with cables when you buy a laptop (from my own experience).

I suggest a Linksys WRT54G router.

Zidio

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Nov 2, 2005
LOMCN
but you dont want to be tied up with peaple always trying to acess your connection on wireless. i would buy a simple patch cable that plugs in the laptop to ur pc and done :) or you could just do it your way if you reinstall ur router it will have options to use both ethernet and usb.

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Zidio said:
but you dont want to be tied up with peaple always trying to acess your connection on wireless. i would buy a simple patch cable that plugs in the laptop to ur pc and done :) or you could just do it your way if you reinstall ur router it will have options to use both ethernet and usb.
I can't see how that can be a problem? Just stick on WPA encryption and you will be fine.

Can also disable SSID announcement..

peppe

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 30, 2004
just to make it easyer for me that means i can use my usb for my pc and the ethernet lead to my laptop and they will both work on the net?

Zidio

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Nov 2, 2005
LOMCN
yes if you reinstall the device and set the settings as 2 pc`s 1 ethernet 1 usb it may work without doing this give it a go ;)

peppe

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 30, 2004
thats the same reason i am thinkin of just havnt got a laptop yet buyin 1 this or next week

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
peppe said:
thats the same reason i am thinkin of just havnt got a laptop yet buyin 1 this or next week
Buy a wireless router.

Put the router near the PC, and use the most usual CAT5 cable to connect the PC, and use wireless for your laptop. Trust me, you DON'T wan't wires when you have a laptop.

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
Most laps are built in wifi, well the two we own do, so just buy a wifi router and a wifi enabled laptop :P

peppe

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 30, 2004
i wouldnt b able to get a wireless for ages but would it work next 2 ma pc off a usb or ethernet witch 1s most powerfull? i give the low 1 to me laptop o yer... will that idea work.

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
peppe said:
i wouldnt b able to get a wireless for ages but would it work next 2 ma pc off a usb or ethernet witch 1s most powerfull? i give the low 1 to me laptop o yer... will that idea work.
Why would you not be able to get wireless??

peppe

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 30, 2004
i dont do alot with a laptop well dont carry it about + host pc is the main pc and laptop will replace my pc

peppe

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 30, 2004
ok i got a wireless router for my laptop a netgear 1 can any1 give me a brief guide on how to setup how many disks etc what u install on each pc or wateva ty

i got the Netgear DG834. orderd can sum1 run me through the actual i got it all plugd in now how can do i connect etc

Last edited:

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
peppe said:
ok i got a wireless router for my laptop a netgear 1 can any1 give me a brief guide on how to setup how many disks etc what u install on each pc or wateva ty

i got the Netgear DG834. orderd can sum1 run me through the actual i got it all plugd in now how can do i connect etc
There is a manual with the router...

peppe

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 30, 2004
just to make sure u can be online on the pc and the wireless laptop at same time?

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
thats the entire point of a router yes....