Google Chromcecast

Join Discord

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
yeah i've had the chromecast for about 4 months now. Really useful.

The chrome browser cast is good for things like youtube videos - but if you want to cast your whole desktop its still beta.

My NAS (a synology) has just updated to allow casting, so i can use their android app to view all my videos or music on my phone then cast to my tv which is great.

Loads of other media players are also now updating to include chrome cast support.

Also i use AllCast (android and apple app) which does the same thing and casts from any dlna server - so you can even cast directly from your pc if you turn on media streaming. Costs £2 but is worth it if you dont have a NAS with a phone app.

Definitely worth buying.

DevilsKnight

I
VIP
Aug 1, 2004
Far, what is it like streaming HD stuff from PC to TV? Currently I have to use an hdmi cable from my pc to my tv which is a pain in the backside. I'm guessing I would have to have a wireless card on my pc?

Dk

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
no chromecasts work through your router, so providing your pc is on the network it'll work fine.

The quality really depends on your router. If you have a low transfer on your router you'll have to reduce the quality otherwise the framerates are a little low.

But i can honestly say i watch a film through it most nights. From standard def films up to blue ray - on a 27", and have no complaints at all on the quality.

edit:
i have a standard virgin super hub - 300Mbit/s on dual band, with all my devices on gigabit connections. If you have lower than this you might not be able to run 1080p films smoothly without reducing the quality.

Last edited:

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
I didn't understand most of your jargon tbh :(

What about iplayer and netflix etc? You say you can stream movie files from your desktop or not?

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
yeah any film / music on your desktop you can stream through chromecast - providing you've allowed it to be shared.

iplayer doesn't have chromecast ability yet, and im not sure if netflix does either - but im sure both will eventually.

basically. it's awesome, and you should buy it.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Actually I've just looked on the website again that I linked and it says iplayer and netflix are both supported ^_^

I'm sold, and you're wrong. Haha :P

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
i said both would be eventually. they must have just added it after it wrote that.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
It has been known for Google big wigs to frequent our humble forum. They probably saw this thread and put a hundred people on getting it sorted.

mStation

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 29, 2003
♫♪♫ ♦♥♠♣ ♀♂♀
i have one of these for a while now.. i must say that my home config is using a Netgear WNDR4000 which is a 750Mbps and is compatible DLNA but however is some occasions I am obliged to use the Chromecast and for the moment i never had issues even with1080p videos. Quality is good and the system is quick user friendly also, this means I am not the only one in the house able to set it up :)

http://www.netgear.it/prodotti/Ufficio/wirelessrouters/high-performance/WNDR4000.aspx