Installing VBulletin

Join Discord

Azura

Mir3 Coder & Adviser
Mar 12, 2005
I need help installing my Vbulletin i get to step 2 lol

Step 2) Connect to the database
Attempting to attach to database
[SIZE=+1]The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server. Please confirm the values entered in the 'includes/config.php' file.[/SIZE]

Azura

Mir3 Coder & Adviser
Mar 12, 2005
KurtBMX said:
You need to edit the config.php.new file with your own settings, then rename it config.php :).

I have :( I'm sure its all right... what could I have done wrong?

// ****** MASTER DATABASE USERNAME & PASSWORD ******
// This is the username and password you use to access MySQL.
// These must be obtained through your webhost.
$config['MasterServer']['username'] = 'root';
$config['MasterServer']['password'] = '';

think it has something to do with this?

RightGuard

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 22, 2005
You know VB can and do simply use Google to find invalid licences of the product? If your copy is not legit, it's only fair that you know they're pretty trigger happy with their prosecution button... supposedly they have hired a dedicated research team whose job it is to find unlicensed websites that host their software.

Be warned.

If you paid the full price, then great... use their live support to figure out the problem, you pay them for it.

Hazuki

VIP
VIP
Apr 14, 2004
United Kingdom
RightGuard said:
You know VB can and do simply use Google to find invalid licences of the product? If your copy is not legit, it's only fair that you know they're pretty trigger happy with their prosecution button... supposedly they have hired a dedicated research team whose job it is to find unlicensed websites that host their software.

Be warned.

If you paid the full price, then great... use their live support to figure out the problem, you pay them for it.

Very true, have you registered/paid/downloaded your forum from www.vbulletin.com?

Azura

Mir3 Coder & Adviser
Mar 12, 2005
no this one was already on the webhost I just need to install it.

It also came with PhpBB forums I know that one is free and its easy to set-up you think I'm better off going with phpBB?

Last edited:

RightGuard

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 22, 2005
Metzer™ said:
It also came with PhpBB forums I know that one is free and its easy to set-up you think I'm better off going with phpBB?

If you have a legit copy of VB then no, phpBB is a lot more vulnerable. In terms of ease of use phpBB is a lot better imo, but there are a lot of different opinions on this matter.

Dataforce

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 15, 2003
note: jsut beacuse your webhost provides you the installation, doesn't mean that they provide you the license to use it

and vBulletin DOES call home as far as i know, so they WILL find you :)

heck, they found us and we used a hacked version

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
and if you read vbulletin forum enough, no webhost are allowed to do that kind of installation. you will still need a real license where you logon to the member area and put in the URL of your site for that license.