smoochy boys on tour

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Any help apriciated, I'm not very good with websites etc

I have my own hosting, domain, website ect.

But I'm wanting to buy a new domain, to have a new website using the same hosting I have... If that makes sense?

So I would have 2 domains, 2 websites all on the one host.

How is it done? :S

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
couldnt you ask your hosting company this? surely they would just set you your chosen domain and webspace and add it to your bill?

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Well I'm not sure if thats what you're meant to do... Or if you do something else, lol.

Zordon

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 26, 2008
Manchester, UK
Normally would mean either logging into your account on the hosting companies website, most have options to add an aditional domain, sometimes its free, more often than not they charge you for a second domain though or failing that, best bet is to call them and discuss what you want with them :)

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
You can add more sites and domains in a host. Just make a directory where the second site will be hosted and redirect the domain to that folder. It's pretty easy.

Last edited:

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Depends who you're with, it's all pretty self explanatory in cPanel though, on the left hand column. It will say 1/3 Domains, 1/10 Subdomains etc etc

I believe (can't really remember) adding your new domain through cPanel will automatically create the new folder for the new website.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Cheers.

Spoke to my hosting company and it will cost $15. And as you say, just adds a sub dir where the new website lives.

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
you referring to subdomains alecs? as Most hosts don't allow more than 1 domain without paying for it

No, i'm talking about a domain redirected to a specific directory in your host.

Glad to hear you solved it, Skyline. But I don't understand why it costs $15. It should be free...unless you buy a new domain.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Think thats the cost of the domain to be fair.

They just said, chose your domain name, we will charge you $15 to your account and then told me what to do in cPanel

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Hosted Domains: Unlimited ....

So what you're paying $15 for I don't know. Did you not look in cPanel like I said?

Gezza

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 23, 2008
uk
I thought you'd already bought it, anyway couldn't you get it cheaper anywhere else?

He has a hosting company (just host, very good imo) with a domain name, for example www.tai.co.uk but he wants another domain name called www.tai.com for example, which you will have to pay for and wants to host it all under the same host. I myself not to sure how this is done but i know it can be.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
He has a hosting company (just host, very good imo) with a domain name, for example www.tai.co.uk but he wants another domain name called www.tai.com for example, which you will have to pay for and wants to host it all under the same host. I myself not to sure how this is done but i know it can be.

I know all of that lol...didn't I tell him what to do? o_O

What I meant is I thought he'd already bought his second domain and just wanted to add it to his web host.

Gezza

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 23, 2008
uk
I know all of that lol...didn't I tell him what to do? o_O

What I meant is I thought he'd already bought his second domain and just wanted to add it to his web host.

Ahh got ya :P