Maxtor 40gb HDD

smoochy boys on tour

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
Well i recently recieved my second 40gig maxtor hdd from ebay the other day. It all seems fine (runs smoothly etc). Theres just one problem, its making a whining like noise continously (unless my pc is switched off, obviously :P ) and its really starting to get on my nerves.

I am just wondering if this is a fault with the hard drive?? Or are Maxtor hard drives known for this whining noise??

I really want to try stop the problem, or know if it is a fault with the hdd, because if its a fault with it, im going to just scrap it and pick another up just incase it crashes and i lose data :(

Thanks for your time. ^__^

EDIT: Just to let you know, my main hdd was also ordered off ebay, it's a sony (i think) 40gb hdd, and it makes no annoying noise what so ever.

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
Yep its mounted perfect lol :P

Looks like gna hve to remove it then :(

EDIT: I am just wondering if maybe its meant to make the noise?? could be the heads or somthing, although i am not sure because i am no good with hard drives lol :P

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
check warranty (with the serial number)

if it's louder than what you think it is.. then you should do RMA if it's still under warranty.

if the noise is not constant (high pitch at times) then it's bad

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
My maxtor 80gb drive is a relatively(sp?) quiet HDD. Definately doesn't make a whining noise, more like a slight buzz.

Try removing it from the case and holding it in your hand or something to see if it makes a whining noise then? It might just be the vibration against the case.

Last edited:

spence

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 30, 2004
yes i have the same ragnar i dont have a problem with it although 30 gb of the hdd is messed up so i can only use 50 gb partition :( erm noise yes my fans make more noise although i got sum non sllip mat wrapped out round it widened my case where it fits in abit and now its really good and no noise :) i think its more of the facet metal on metal that greates the noise mainly. :)

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
its a high pitched wining noise..and it does it all the time my pc is turnt on :( It faids at point it sounds like for like 10 secs or so, unless thats just my ears lol :P

It's just such an annoying noise, it appears to not be effecting the performance of the hdd itself at the moment, but it effects me lol ^_^