Possible layout - need opinions/advice.

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
heres a layout ive spent a short amout of time working on. Its not 100% perfect and im certainly not satisfied with it. Would be nice if i could get some positive feedback (the kind with advice and pointers). If you just want to flame me or insult me, go make a thread in GoT where ill gladly tell you to **** off.

http://www.atomicide.com/v1.jpg

-Atom-

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
i dont like the sides or the buttons (the style of the buttons), but love the layout.

edit: pft, as if u want 'feedback'. get rid of the gradient on the buttons. and the gradient on the sides.

Last edited:

Azura

Mir3 Coder & Adviser
Mar 12, 2005
I can see you spent "a short amout of time" on it, Its a good basic design. I would suggest making the Atomicide.com bit abit wider to fill the gap. Also work on the graphics.

Tho I'm sure its not a final design so the graphics don't really matter much atm, but like i say the Design is good :)

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
Stuff i personally like about it is:

The banner (more is being added to it shortly)
Im happy with the content box and the box for the buttons.

Im unsure about the white lines ive drawn in between the boxes etc.

No, i dont like the thick side bars or the buttons, and im working on changing it.

The main problem i have is maing use of the space, i find it hard to get a balance between the size of the content box, navigation, banner etc without leaving too much free space as im not sure what to do with it. Ideally i would like to have a navigation bar below the banner. But then the space left where the Navigation box is now would **** me off.

I know there are tutorials etc, but theres none ive found that advise you on the use of space etc. Think i might take the elements i like from here, plus any info anyone can give me on using space, and start over again and improve it that way.

Azura

Mir3 Coder & Adviser
Mar 12, 2005
The Gap between the Naviagion and the Content box is alittle to big imo.

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
yup my only criticism is too much empty space. bulk up the white lines with something, id imagine theres a suitable tube in psp or design ur own. maybe add a feint background image to break up the matt colour.

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
Annon said:
yup my only criticism is too much empty space. bulk up the white lines with something, id imagine theres a suitable tube in psp or design ur own. maybe add a feint background image to break up the matt colour.

Lyncus said:
The Gap between the Naviagion and the Content box is alittle to big imo.

Like ive already said i know the problem exists, just not what to do about it. Background brushing or an image is the likely possibility. I dont want to bulk up any lines because my main dislike on the layout at the moment are the bulked up lines that run down the side.

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
I personally don't like the following :

- The white dots in the banner,
hurt my eyes and ruin the banner imo.

- The Left and Right of the layour
( Outside the white bits ), Looks
abit basic, would be good to replace
it with something more graphical.

I like the ideo of the lines passing
through the boxes but i reckon
it would be better to animate the
navigation bar and to send little
electrical surges through the lines
or something similar.

/CraiG

PS. With the white dots thing, maybe you could
make the Atomicide.com text bigger?

Just an idea.

Last edited:

anto

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Feb 18, 2005
It's quite good imo, the only thing i don't like about it is the white borders line things and the part where it says atomicide.

Last edited:

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
heres my new revision of it and im pretty pleased with it. Problems with it at the moment are.

a) its unfinished.
b) its a big file.

www.atomicide.com/Layout1.gif

dont forget to expand the picture otherwise it looks weird.

Azura

Mir3 Coder & Adviser
Mar 12, 2005
is better but leaves a big whole on the left hand side :)

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
Lyncus said:
is better but leaves a big whole on the left hand side :)

still not finished. Im thinking of adding an "affiliates" panel and "Shoutbox" to the left hand side.

Any other ideas people have for the use fo space would be appreciated.

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
I'm loving the new banner, i missed the littles linesfrunning from the boxes though :(

Can i ask why the buttons glow 1 after the other?

Big improvement on the template though.

BTW, shout box and affiliate boxes seem cool. What about a competition of the week box?

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
They Glow one after the other because its looks odd if they all flash at once. Im gonna be re-adding the lines soon as well, but the shoutbox/affiliates/other boxes need to be put in first.

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
MrRob said:
What About A 'Day Of The Week Box' Aka A Calender?

Shoutbox and "Comments of the Week" box have been added. the IPB board supports the calender, and if i can get my head around coding the layout i will hopefully be able to make ti so users can select 2 boxes to display from a full list.