Possible Virus

Tom27

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 15, 2005
Norwich
Hi.
1 thing I'm not really good with is viruses. I have a tenancy to not have any AVG's/Scanners or whatever on my PC.
Yesterday my google chrome randomly stopped working, you could open the internet page but once you type in an address it instantly crashes.
Now my download manager is also saying that its un-installed for some unusual reason.

I can only assume this is a virus?

Any recommendations?
Thanks in advance (Noob help)

EDIT:
I forgot to mention, my InternetExplorer is still fully accessable.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
I have a tenancy to not have any AVG's/Scanners or whatever on my PC..

I may lock this thread...

Sort it out, there are ample free ones and Microsoft even have their own for free!

As mentioned, run a scan. If nothing pops up reinstall the software.

Tom27

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 15, 2005
Norwich
Tried SpyBot, tried microsoft, done scans & restarted my PC several times and still having no luck.
I can't remove anything via Add/Remove programs, and google chrome is still broken.
However; I've downloaded firefox and it works fine.

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
Download Malware Bytes Anti malware (free version)

run it.

should solve your problem. What you have is most likely malware.

czeldabolg

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Sep 12, 2005
Staffordshire, UK
Boot the damn thing in safe-mode, do a scan overnight with either malware bytes -> as mentioned above and also get some proper protection. Personally I'm fine with windows firewall / defender, but I do have malware + spybot s&d if i ever get suspicious.

Avast! is an okay one to protect you, same as AVG, ZoneAlarm.

Jacko

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 7, 2011
the netherlands
Boot the damn thing in safe-mode, do a scan overnight with either malware bytes -> as mentioned above and also get some proper protection. Personally I'm fine with windows firewall / defender, but I do have malware + spybot s&d if i ever get suspicious.

Avast! is an okay one to protect you, same as AVG, ZoneAlarm.

Sounds like a worm .
Guy probably has acces to your pc and is doing stuff behind your back on your pc
just do the malware bytes +hitmanpro combo and your pc will probably clean

Slipmatt

Why the f are we still here?
Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
**** google chrome, fire fox all the way!

---------- Post Merged at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:29 AM ----------

**** google chrome, fire fox all the way!

Tom27

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 15, 2005
Norwich
Managed to get this problem sorted after 3 visits to a PC shop.
It took the guy over a week to sort my computer out - not good.
Luckily it didn't do any damage :)

Sounds like a worm .
Guy probably has acces to your pc and is doing stuff behind your back on your pc
just do the malware bytes +hitmanpro combo and your pc will probably clean
You are correct, it was a worm that some-how managed to reinfect my whole system a further 2 times after
having a complete wipe.

huanter

LOMCN n00bie
Dec 31, 2006
You are correct, it was a worm that some-how managed to reinfect my whole system a further 2 times after
having a complete wipe.

---------- Post Merged at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:22 PM ----------

having a complete wipe.

virus

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 3, 2003
Newcastle
I like Avast it seems to terminate anything in its way.If you just want any temporary fix and to clear the virus, all you need to do is download your virus software or buy it, give it a scan (whole pc) what ever is found incinerate it, then Un-install the software, if your not wanting it in your background services for speed and performance desktops.

If your still Unhappy then reboot system and reformat Hard Drive to a fresh instalment of windows
(make sure you have a CD/flash Drive at hand, otherwise you wont get back onto the desktop, its probably best if you look on a website on how to reformat and get instruction if your unsure.

Last edited: