Just got me a phat PS3 running 3.41 500GB HDD and jailbroke it :P'
Anyone else running a JB PS3?

Bye Bye XBOX :P

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
neither, i dont go online, all the online games i want i have for the 360, ps3 only interests me for the homebrew without jtagging and exclusive titles such as uncharted 2.

On3 Sh0t Ki1l3r

LOMCN n00bie
Oct 28, 2010
Ah i see yeah i upgraded to the latest payload which lets me play online but i've not even bothered connecting to PSN, think i'll wait till Sony release the next fw update and see what happens to those that have been playing with the spoofed payloads.

Loving the stuff so far and can't wait to see what's in the future for the PS3

nicofortune

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
haha finally the sonys secret master key has been broken meaning now its impossible for sony to block jail breaking on the ps3

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
Why is it impossible for sony to block or ban jailbroke PS3s? Surely they can freeze your PS3 from going online and playing games online just like XBOX can?

danboss

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 2, 2003
Why is it impossible for sony to block or ban jailbroke PS3s? Surely they can freeze your PS3 from going online and playing games online just like XBOX can?

With knowledge of the code you can have modified or copied software marked as legitimate by the PS3 using Sony's own signing method so it will be indistinguishable from the legitimate software as far as Sony is concerned.

Time to invest in a PS3 I think.

This formerly secret number is used to "sign" all games and software that run on the system, to authenticate that it is genuine and approved by Sony.

However, once the key is known it can be used to sign any software - including unofficial software and games.

"I hate that it enables piracy," said Mr Hotz. "The publication of the key is more academic than anything else."

The number also works for Sony's handheld console the PlayStation Portable, said Mr Hotz.

----

"Sony uses a private key, usually stored in a vault at the company's HQ, to mark firmware as valid and unmodified, and the PS3 only needs a public key to verify that the signature came from Sony.

"Applied correctly, it would take billions of years to derive the private key from the public key, or to make a signature without knowing the private key, even when you have all the computational power in the world at your disposal."

But the team found that Sony had made a "critical mistake" in how it implemented the security.

"The signing recipe requires that a random number be used as part of the calculation, with the caveat that that number must be truly random and not predictable in any way," the team said.

"However, Sony wrote their own signing software, which used a constant number for each signature."

This allowed the team to use "simple algebra" to uncover Sony's secret key, without access to it.

"This is supposed to be the most secret of secret of secrets - it's the Crown jewels," said pytey.

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
With knowledge of the code you can have modified or copied software marked as legitimate by the PS3 using Sony's own signing method so it will be indistinguishable from the legitimate software as far as Sony is concerned.

Time to invest in a PS3 I think.

Ohhh I see, that is brilliant and about being banned from going online?