Question...

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
Well a 633mhz Celeron with 512mb PC133 ram can support 40 people with moderate spawns quite easily.

So for around 100 people, with a hugh amount of spawns, Id go for a 1.5Ghz+ CPU and 2GB DDR3200+ (altho I'd imagine 1GB would do... depending on the number of filled maps).

As for your connection, as a general rule of thumb you need just under 1KB/s per active hunting player. So for 100 players (of which we will assume 2/3 are hunting), your going to need an upload of appr 70KB/s. I've not seen a DataStream/IPSteam DSL connection offering that upload, so you will probably need to look into dedicated hosting or SDSL.

/Leo

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
LeoCrasher said:
Well a 633mhz Celeron with 512mb PC133 ram can support 40 people with moderate spawns quite easily.

So for around 100 people, with a hugh amount of spawns, Id go for a 1.5Ghz+ CPU and 2GB DDR3200+ (altho I'd imagine 1GB would do... depending on the number of filled maps).

As for your connection, as a general rule of thumb you need just under 1KB/s per active hunting player. So for 100 players (of which we will assume 2/3 are hunting), your going to need an upload of appr 70KB/s. I've not seen a DataStream/IPSteam DSL connection offering that upload, so you will probably need to look into dedicated hosting or SDSL.

/Leo

thanks leo for answering the question :) and i'll be getting dual pro cnt remember the ghz 2gb ram and it'll be 10mb ntl line but it mite be going 26 mb line in the time i'd get the net

Mar 23, 2003
Cairo Orbital Defence Platform
Sigh. People, please, the limiting factor is VERY simple.

UPLOAD SPEED.

Go grab a cheap old AMD Athlon MP server, with some oldish ram, 1GB if you fancy chunky spawns. Shouldn't cost too much, and would make mincemeat of the server.

Now....as I was saying....upload speed. Leo measures in Kilobytes, but for the sake of shopping, envision 50 players per 256kilobits of upload speed. Basically, you want 512k SDSL.

Edit: I see you're talking about the Hi-Speed connections. Forget them.

SDSL. Or SHDSL. The only way to get your nice upload speeds. Those other connections will have LOVELY download speeds, but the upload will still be nasty.

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
petesn00beh said:
thanks leo for answering the question :) and i'll be getting dual pro cnt remember the ghz 2gb ram and it'll be 10mb ntl line but it mite be going 26 mb line in the time i'd get the net

AFAIK NTL's 10mbit service has a 576kbit upload. Should be fine for around 60 players hunting (and the rest doing sweet FA). If you want more specifics on the exact transfer per player... do a search. We've done lots of fancy calculations on this matter in the past.

One has to wonder where your going to find 100 players from though ;). Perhaps a safer investment would be to make your server first, gauge popularity and extend your infastructure as nessacery. Don't want to be spending money on equipment that won't be used.

/Leo

Pebble

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 25, 2005
Essex, England
LeoCrasher said:
AFAIK NTL's 10mbit service has a 576kbit upload. Should be fine for around 60 players hunting (and the rest doing sweet FA). If you want more specifics on the exact transfer per player... do a search. We've done lots of fancy calculations on this matter in the past.

MentaL.

He MAY help you petesn00beh if you're nice. Ask him to find out how much the users on his server use (around 100-150 atm).

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Pebble said:
MentaL.

He MAY help you petesn00beh if you're nice. Ask him to find out how much the users on his server use (around 100-150 atm).

I knew MentaL from the first RageZone server but he's forgotten me lol but some of the old players from that time still remember me, and well as for spending money on stuff ott for a server but I've got the money and in the future I'm thinking of expanding my idea's but I have to get the PC and net first to do it all my idea's are sort of original, mainly of a past game I played and make mir2 from one game into two in one (if you understand that) that will be my aim and I don't think this idea has ever been done (I don't know about thought about) but as all of them have been joted down and it's only going to be two people working on it myself and a good friend, all I can say is I hope thing's work out the way I expect it to be (as in funding and stuff like that) as for expecting 100+ people on it I'm using that so if there does come a time when there is 100+ people playing I wont have to call my ISP up asking for upgrade, I don't mind if people don't play it just mean's I can play on other server's with a kick ass comp lol and maybe share the thing's I created but untill it's all sorted it's just ink on paper.

Pete

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
RZ utilises dedicated hosting (100mbit down, not sure what it is up, prolly 10mbit). Which is ultimately something you DONT want to do until your absolutely sure your going to use it.

The server PC on the other hand... great, go for it.

/Leo

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
how much is RZ actualy paying? lol, bet it quite a bit to host a none profitable server :l

Thanatos

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Nov 26, 2003
Sheffield
If im not a too far out saying this but....
The best idea for a hosting pc is to rent one. I don't know what experiances anybody has had with this in the past but from what iv had the pc is fully maintanced by the company which dispensed you it. I'm not sure what the connection/spec or price of this is in England as iv only heard this through a friend. I would imagine they have the best available connection, and probably better then the connection available to people/companys without contract.

Mind the speech if its not clear. I know i make near to no sense

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Thanatos said:
If im not a too far out saying this but....
The best idea for a hosting pc is to rent one. I don't know what experiances anybody has had with this in the past but from what iv had the pc is fully maintanced by the company which dispensed you it. I'm not sure what the connection/spec or price of this is in England as iv only heard this through a friend. I would imagine they have the best available connection, and probably better then the connection available to people/companys without contract.

Mind the speech if its not clear. I know i make near to no sense
Youre pretty much describing a server.

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
In the first year it would be cheaper to just buy a server and a dedicated connection for it. In the second+ years it would be just paying for the connection so you save a lot of money. Then if you ever quit hosting you still got a nice PC, throw in a GFX card and you got a gaming comp too.

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
urbanfox said:
In the first year it would be cheaper to just buy a server and a dedicated connection for it. In the second+ years it would be just paying for the connection so you save a lot of money. Then if you ever quit hosting you still got a nice PC, throw in a GFX card and you got a gaming comp too.

thats the idea I have if hosting game's isn't my thing (because I have never experienced hosting and it's the only thing I've got left to do with mir I'll have a nice gfx card in and I can just plainly kick ass lol :P

Pete

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
Well i pay 60 pounds a month on the ragezone mir2 server which may seem steep as it is, but its worth it plus given the optional methods and how i run my server, the donations leads to benefifs for individuals and occasionally groups.

The server in which i spend 60 pounds is on a 100mbit shared line but im garanteed 10mbit upload and burstable up to 100 (hence shared) and i will never even come close to using 2mbit , so it a Little OTT but then again if you do things right you do them to the best of your ability.

Ive customized the server to the best of my ability to maximize performace and on the spec of 3ghz HT p4 with only 512ram my cpu usage for all say 100 players with entense spawns and allot of upload uses is 20-30max , and the ram usage is only 25% used.

Editing services which are not needed and upgrading to latest sps and patches also speed it up, the current rz server is the best server ive actually used because its so stable

Then again, unless you know what your doing i dont recommend spending the money as i see servers false claim that they purchased dedicated servers, or plan to , and yet i recieve numerous messages on msn claiming they may buy one but require help.

So think hard on your decisions.

Also having a little intelligence does help.

(if i make any errors its cos im inbed in laptop, last 3 days has made me restless)