Thinking of stepping down to be a supervisor. Is it worth it?

Omnibus

Banned
Banned
Dec 9, 2021
As per above. I support some apps and it isn't working out as third parties have more control and its not using right ability.

As part of hybrid working, I'm back at site and now sit with the helpdesk whenever I go in.

Is it worth reapplying to help desk and being a supervisor there?

Karl

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 8, 2004
Gloucester
Depends on what you like to do - and what the role involves really.

I hate management stuff that comes with some supervisory roles because it detracts more and more away from doing tech. I used to open up my linux VM and be working on it from almost the moment I got into work before, and use it all day.

Now I barely open up my VM once a week because of meetings, training, coaching, admin etc.

Omnibus

Banned
Banned
Dec 9, 2021
The role would involve training / handling service desk analysts, floor walking/ drop ins for onside IT and taking control in manager's abscence.

I do changes, majors and problem records and it just isn't working for me and I already threatened to switch back to my old team as these things are just too heavy on me.

Failing that, I'm searching for IT careers fairs now and making contact with managers at previous company for referencing and stuff. Man I must be a misanthrope or something?