Torrents...

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
Well, whenever i download a torrent, i get speeds from 1kb/s to about 9kb/s, on a 2mb connection. It's not just one torrent file, it's every torrent file i try to download. I know people who get there full connection download speed when downloading torrents. It appears it's just me who gets 1-9kb/s :(

How can this be sorted??

Could it be my modem, firewall etc??

Liandrin2

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jan 14, 2004
Have you got a NAT error? If your not sure I suggest using a downloader such as azureus which will help you check the health of your downloads.

If it is a NAT error it's likely you will need to forward ports through your modem or firewall.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
torrents dont go full speed.

it depends on the seed number, and what torrent program you use.

i use bitcomet, always seems to get the fastest out of it.

im on 2mb and can get anything from 1kb/s - 250kb/s

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
o, oki :) so it's nothing to do with any software or hardware on my computer then?

And nope, i don't get any errors infact, just slow download speeds. I am currently using BitLord. I may try bitcomet.

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
It can take upto 2 hours for the speed to reach its peak.

Shard

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 12, 2003
I had this problem using Azureus ;o What I did was limited my upload speed whilst downloading torrents to only 5kb/s and it made my download speed full ;o

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
Oki thanks, ill limit my upload to 5kb/s (as shard said). Then ill leave it for 2 hours and check to see if the speed has improved (like ragnar said) :D Ill do that at 11 :)

In the mean time, i am going to watch the england game :)

cheers again ;)

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
Had the same problem myself but since i started using 'Azureus' i have had all good speeds, although it depends on how many people are seeding.

If theres a few people seeding i get around my full speed and im on 2mb.

If theres lots of seeders i dont drop below my full speed inless im downloading other things aswell

Zidio

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Nov 2, 2005
LOMCN
hmm i had a simular problem its all about useing unpnp or change the port the program uses and forward it in your router should help sorted me out :) unless of course you dont have a router o_O! im sure you posted 1 time you was gettin one lol

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
if you use bitcomet... there're some advanced settings.

Connections per task (around 30-50 if you have 5 tasks)
Number of half-open connections (5-10 max)

they are also in other clients maybe different wordings

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
Well a 800mb file downloaded over night, so the download speed must have increased, becase just before i went to bed it said that there were like 45 hours remaining lmao -_-

Thanks for your help people. I may have ago with bitcomet later :)

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
azureus you can remove the limit of connections per torrent and globaly, allow mutiple connections per ip and change seeding rules. only problem is when a torrent gets about 800 concurrent connections msn can decide not to work :/

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Senture said:
azureus you can remove the limit of connections per torrent and globaly, allow mutiple connections per ip and change seeding rules. only problem is when a torrent gets about 800 concurrent connections msn can decide not to work :/
My router crashes with too many connections =p.

Killmaster

Legend
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Nov 13, 2003
azureus has never gave me a problem at all, all i did when i d/l'ed it woz limit my upload speed to 5kb/s and i was away, i usually get a download speed of bout 10kb/s lowest.

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
Just saw my download shoot up to 66kb/s :D after about 5 mins of it running hehe....^_^

You are correct rag, the downloads do speed up eventually. I left one over night the other day & just before i left it, the remaining time was around 88 hours, and the speed was something like 3-4 kb/s :( But when i had woken up, the download was complete lol :P (and NO, i did not sleep for 88 hours :P)

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
With bitcomet.. goto statistics...

look at the line that looks something like this...

Connections: 152 Half-Open: 5 Waiting: 1342

Half-Open should be max'ed out (5-10 depends on your settings)
connections should be closer to # of downloading torrents * connections per task.
Waiting means waiting haha.. means you will still need to connect to 1342 people to try and download...

few notes:
Connections: 100-200 means you should be getting a pretty good speed. More connections may slow your internet (delay/packet loss/etc)
Half-Open: 5 ( I prefer 5, more than 5 will usually cause trouble for others connecting you )
Waiting: if you are getting low numbers here, you should increase the number of connections per task or get a few more torrents running.