Universities in London

hustler

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Jun 6, 2009
Next year im going off to university and im looking for a uni in london to study Pharmacy.. I would like some advice from someone who also looking to do pharmacy in uni or already studied it. What uni do you recommend? I know this should be something I should be asking in college but i'd like to know lomcn's thoughts. Any advice would be great, this is my future. So far i've applied at University of Hertfordshire and need at least four more options.

h

Xanan

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 5, 2006
If you want an honest reply, i'd say ask your college and search through articles/prospectus online/at open days etc.

University is a pretty massive cost (spesh if ur wanting to live in London), and a big chuck of your life. And if you want to make the most of it (for me it was the best 3 years of my life) then you need to ensure you make the right choice for you.
The general response from LOMCN on more personal serious matters is rarely the most helpful (but i may stand corrected?).

Having just graduated am already missing seriously missing it.

/Gand

Dorf

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 13, 2009
any particular reason you want to go to london? The prices in london are huge, and even if you go up north for a 3 year degree you will be looking at owing in the region of 20k.. this is not small potatoes my friend, and if you end up working in the public sector the loan repayments come out before it even gets to your bank account. I would seriously think very hard about studying in London, unless you're minted, ANY degree staying away from home is going to cost you bigtime. Just think, 20k is a nice car, or a deposit on a house, if you can find a way of keeping the costs lower, it's certainly the best thing to take into account. (Almost definately in this economic environment.)

hustler

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Jun 6, 2009
I want to become a pharmacist, I can owe the money back i'd pay every penny of it. Some uni give you money from the council or something and aparently when you graduate you will have to pay them back but Money is not a problem for me as my dad is a doctor and can pay my funds. However, i have to take xanan's advice and actually talk to the college or something. Reason i want to go london because my 2 sisters go uni there, one graduated as a lawyer and the other studying to be a pharmacy and like you said xanan, uni is the best years of your life and i want to experinece it. Last week, my brother was sent off to Ukraine to study being a pharmacist because he wanted to live up there and my dad paid his costs.

h

Dorf

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 13, 2009
Then you must be able to find some forums somewhere explaining the best uni's offering pharmacology. Usually just checking what grades they require will indicate which are the ones with a better reputation, as they generally as a rule will require higher grades so they only accept the better applicants.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
If you want an honest reply, i'd say ask your college and search through articles/prospectus online/at open days etc.

University is a pretty massive cost (spesh if ur wanting to live in London), and a big chuck of your life. And if you want to make the most of it (for me it was the best 3 years of my life) then you need to ensure you make the right choice for you.
The general response from LOMCN on more personal serious matters is rarely the most helpful (but i may stand corrected?).

Having just graduated am already missing seriously missing it.

/Gand

Hay, don't hate! :'(

Toddwhite

More like Retodd
Golden Oldie
Jul 28, 2006
going up north saves u thousands.... BUT.... you are up north. So i suggest London :)

/gw

hustler

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Jun 6, 2009
Then you must be able to find some forums somewhere explaining the best uni's offering pharmacology. Usually just checking what grades they require will indicate which are the ones with a better reputation, as they generally as a rule will require higher grades so they only accept the better applicants.

I have asked on several forums, took some of my classmates advice even though some of them are studying to be something completely different to myself, i've asked a few teachers.. just generally trying to open my options wide and lomcn was one of the places i thought i'd ask since im on here most of the time. But yeah you are right, reputation of the universities is important but it all depends on my grades, i am working at a pretty good grade and i am expecting high expectations but was only wondering what's best for me and what uni's there are in london that i can look into in great detail. So far i have uni of hertfordshire and im going on opening day which is on 10th October, next sunday. So i hope i do like it there and probably will give me a good idea of what i want to do.

h

Xanan

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 5, 2006
Mate, go to as many open days as you can. I remember all of my open days made the uni's look awesome. But then the last one i went to was way beyond the others (which i hadn't thought possible at the time), so i went there.

Aye London is awesome for the student lifestyle, and i wouldn't worry about the costs - sure its alot, but you can pay it back as/when you earn the money (or in your case have rents pay for it - even better). My degree won't get me a high paying job, but i loved every minute of it, and it'll help me get into a more interesting career.
To be honest mate, your dad and siblings should be the ones your asking, if they have studied the same subject (or similar) they should have a good idea or the more respected universities. Anyone that studys to that level usually knows how their university stands amongst others etc. (Or alternatively league tables on websites such as The Times are quite comprehensive with details on necessary grades, teaching standards, student satisfaction etc).

/Gand

I'm no hater Tai, for once im impressed hah.

hustler

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Jun 6, 2009
I have applied to a few open days so far and looking forward to seeing what they got in store. I have most probably taken more advice from my family since they've all studied the similiar subject and they've recommended me to the most respectable uni's in London which i'm looking to finding out more about on the open days. I seriously can't wait for next year, it's the years of your life and I can't wait to experince my student lifestyle in London. My course is a 5 year course and I honestly can't wait to go. But the subject i'm studying is quite serious and i'm kind of worried about not having the time to have fun and always studying, keeping up. But i'll just have to see, my sister said you need to very commited if your going to do pharmacy, there will be time for fun but you have to put that aside at times and focus on doing all your work. She also said most people fail on first year since it's their first year ofc and they getting used to it but she said most of her friends failed because they didn't study, always went clubbing. Aparently, the nightlife is amazing there, lots of nightclubs you can choose from! Anyway mate thanks for the replies. Glad to see lomcn actually being helpful on a serious topic.

h

hustler

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Jun 6, 2009
Thanks for that mate, had a look at their site and it's not bad, looking at it in more detail tonight with my father.

h

Celsius

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
Stop dissing the North, hurts my feelings :(

But as people have said, they are the by far the best years of your life, I never wanna leave =D

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
in my opinion uni is a waste of money even though in todays climate the grades arnt worth sqwat and at the end you'll be in £10k+ debt
but goodluck dude,

hustler

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Jun 6, 2009
Good job my dad is paying then lol. I think it will be some great years of my life as some people say and I think I got what it takes to study pharmacy and take that as a carrer. Thanks for the luck mate.

h

Toddwhite

More like Retodd
Golden Oldie
Jul 28, 2006
Good job my dad is paying then lol. I think it will be some great years of my life as some people say and I think I got what it takes to study pharmacy and take that as a carrer. Thanks for the luck mate.

h

You dont need yo be uber clever to pass most courses, you just need the determination and effort levels.

Theres so much support out there, nobody wants you to spend a load of money and fail.... only people that out n out fail are those that dont try.

/gw

hustler

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Jun 6, 2009
Exactly, you need determination and willing to put time and effort in the course. If it's something you want to do, then you can achieve it. You fail, you try again.

h

Xanan

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 5, 2006
in my opinion uni is a waste of money even though in todays climate the grades arnt worth sqwat and at the end you'll be in £10k+ debt
but goodluck dude,

Over 20k for me and i'd still disagree though.
/G

Toddwhite

More like Retodd
Golden Oldie
Jul 28, 2006
Uni isnt just about the degree.

For alot of people on this forum the social aspect would be invaluable too.

just saying uni isnt all aboutthe degree, if u have the best 3 years of your life, how can it not be worth 15k?

/gw