Usenet - A complete easy to use guide?

smoochy boys on tour

Pyros

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Apr 16, 2003
Seen alot of people speaking about this recently and I've looked into it on google, just wondering what client i should use, what server to connect to, how to do it. This probably won't be hard to do but if anyone would be kind enough I'd like you to assume I'm a bit simple and write a guide even I'd understand. Thanks if anyone can.

Blaminator

VIP
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 11, 2003
London
Get a newsreader client (I use NZB-O-Matic)
Get some newshosting (www.giganews.com or www.newshosting.com, relatively cheap)
Make a Newzbin account (But you can't atm, they've disabled registration)

Plug in the news hosting info into the newsreader, import the nzb-o-matic

it'll download into the directory you specified in the setup of the newsreader, then get quickpar (www.quickpar.org.uk, and assosiate it with .par and .par2 files), then double click a .par2 file, let it check and repair if need be, then get winrar if you don't already, extract one part, and it'll extract the other 40 or so.

and Bam! there's your file

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
I use newsbin program and newzbin search engine. I use my ISP's news server. (so find an ISP with a good news server)

for newzbin, you don't really have to PAY to search. You pay for nzb file (which is a convenient thing to have)

Be prepare for broken/corrupted/missing files. QuickPAR will be useful.

Program used: Newsbin, WinRAR, Extra Video/Audio codecs, QuickPAR, Alcohol, Nero.

Prefered over BT because it's not p2p. (you download at full speed)

Prepare to buy bigger hard drives. (I have over 2000 CDs and few hundred DVDs) Using usenet since 1994.

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
LeoCrasher said:
So we can't download stuffs until Newzbin becomes available?

/Leo

My googling doesn't really help since I don't know or understand the subject. Care to help by naming some others? ^^

/Leo

Blaminator

VIP
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 11, 2003
London
You can get a news read such as Grabit or XNews in which you can search through the files on your specific server, hence removing the need to create a newzbin account, there are loads of different kinds out there

kud125

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 18, 2004
wow thanks to everyone who gave information in this thread, i found out my ISP has a news server, looked on there with "Grabit" and i am officially in love with this stuff :)

thx
(especially blam and his mini tutorial :P )