[VHD] Virtual Server Files for Mir

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
If you don't know what is virtualization, virtual server will install on your super computer and virtually split resource (cpu/ram) to allow multiple OS (2k, xp, etc) to run on the same super computer. Each using a % of the resource.

Attached is a screen shot of my current production+dev server (P4 3G, 3G ram).
3 actively running OSes...
XP Mir Gate - 20% cpu - 160MB ram
XP Mir SQL - 5% cpu - 256MB ram
XP Mir Srv - 20% cpu - 1024MB ram

Some of the advantages of this...
Shutdown 1 OS and make a copy for backup or duplicating the OS or development or production use.
OSes are resource-limited, so all your programs won't fight for 1 or 2 CPUs.
More secure? If something goes wrong, you can quickly grab the backup.

I will be uploading a few Virtual Hard Drive (VHD) files to my mirfiles. You can then download them and use right away (for example a XP + SQL + CruelDragon Holley LS 3.38 fully setup and working)

Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 Overview

File added to mirfiles:
00KaoriMade/VHDs/Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 setup.exe

VHDs to be added to mirfiles:
XP Chinese Compact (around 1.2GB)
XP English Compact (around 1GB)
XP Chinese + SQL + Mir 3.38 (around 3GB)

Attachments

• vs_1.jpg
    vs_1.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 697

Smaug

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jun 20, 2007
Can You explane what this is alittle better for the less inteligent people. You used to many big words :)

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
How about VMWare? Did you read the overview?

You install the software (VS2005R2)
Split your server/computer into multiple smaller computers

on each smaller computer, you install whatever you like... win98 2k xp linux.

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
2 VHDs uploaded. RAR'ed for faster download. They are over 2Gig unrar'ed.

XP Chinese (473.8MB)
XP SQL Mir 338 (566.57MB)

First one is a barebone non-genuine XP Chinese PRC installations with latest updates minus IE7 and optional updates. Any use? You figure. I keep them for any new software tests/devs.

XP SQL Mir 338 is the one you can download. This is XP Chinese + MSSQL 2000 with SP4 + CruelDragon Holley 3.38 PRE-INSTALLED.

Some stuff I try to fix quickly. Some stuff (at least in DB) are still in chinese.

Any suggestion?

I might try 3.55 next.

Attachments

• vs_2.jpg
    vs_2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 606
Last edited:

Fasty

LOMCN Leecher
Mar 11, 2007
I've installed 3.55 on MS Virtual Server 2007 but there is a problem with key for a server - on the first time key is accepted but after one second popup window tells me that my key is invalid and aks for another one. I have no problem with 3.55 on my host machine - it's running without any problems. System and configuration is the same on both - host and virtual machine but virtual server is not accepting my key for armadillo patch. Any suggestions?

EDIT: On other software (virtual server) code is accepted but netcheck hangs the virtual system :)

Last edited:

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
I have been trying without success.
Virtual Machine uses virtual hardware. Maybe that's why?

Satchmo

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 16, 2004
Gods County
Qemu is another alternative. I use it under Linux and Windows every day :) Now if only I can get my 2.3 server apps running in WINE properly ;)

BlackT

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 20, 2006
Before trying this amazing idea, if I have the server hosted on a virtual machine onto my PC, is it possible to test/play using a client from the host OS (WinXP) - same PC?

BlackT

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 20, 2006
Never tried MS Virtual Server before, only VMWare and VirtualBox (running under linux) and both supported NAT for the virtual machine. I guess VS also supports this...
Thanks for your answer!

BlackT

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 20, 2006
I hope I bring some good news :)
Just installed VirtualBox, setting up a WinXP as guest OS and CD3.55 seems to work ok. The hardware Id is not changing.
The only problem I got, I cannot start HolleyDBSvr, maybe it's something with the settings of guest XP...I will try to figure it out when I'm back from work.

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
Super compacted XP with SP3 VHD is available for download.

It's a full install from XP SP3 CD. (not xp sp2 + update)

Used an older CD key, so don't use windows update. (automatic update works fine, just don't install windows genuine advantage validation)

00KaoriMade/VHDs/XP SP3.rar

As usual, it comes with 2 files,
C drive (XP SP3.vhd)
Z drive for (XP SP3 PF=pagefile)