Windows 8 Pro tablet for Mir?

smoochy boys on tour

Doobie

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 28, 2005
'Sup,

So yeah in my student house my desktop's upstairs, and I've recently broke my laptop and I don't fancy sitting upstairs all day to play Mir like an anti-social ****, especially when there's gonna be PS4's in the lounge. SO...

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/dell-venue-8-pro/pd?oc=cnv8p01 - Just wondering how well something like this would run Mir, and if anyone's tried it or plays Mir currently on a device like that (any kind of Win 8 tablet)? Obviously the specs look fine, but you know what Mir can be like with certain hardware configurations and OS's.

That's a budget option, considering shelling more to get http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/dell-venue-11-pro/fs (the one with an i3 CPU) but we'll see.

So yeah if anyone has any clue on how well something like these would run Mir please chime in.

Don't bother with dumb **** like "how will you play Mir on a tablet" please, these run Windows 8 (NOT the RT version which is just a tablet and can't run native PC apps) and you can get a dock to connect a keyboard & mouse.

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
'Sup,

So yeah in my student house my desktop's upstairs, and I've recently broke my laptop and I don't fancy sitting upstairs all day to play Mir like an anti-social ****, especially when there's gonna be PS4's in the lounge. SO...

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/dell-venue-8-pro/pd?oc=cnv8p01 - Just wondering how well something like this would run Mir, and if anyone's tried it or plays Mir currently on a device like that (any kind of Win 8 tablet)? Obviously the specs look fine, but you know what Mir can be like with certain hardware configurations and OS's.

That's a budget option, considering shelling more to get http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/dell-venue-11-pro/fs (the one with an i3 CPU) but we'll see.

So yeah if anyone has any clue on how well something like these would run Mir please chime in.

Don't bother with dumb **** like "how will you play Mir on a tablet" please, these run Windows 8 (NOT the RT version which is just a tablet and can't run native PC apps) and you can get a dock to connect a keyboard & mouse.

I run and test Chronicles on a Windows 8 Laptop, you will notice some subtle differences in terms of how/where things are drawn but these are things we will need to ween out/work on if we want to continue to see Mir into the future.

As for it being a tablet, unfortunately I haven't tried, but the OS should be able to run it fine.

Sam

Slipmatt

Why the f are we still here?
Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
It will be interesting to see how mir actually runs on one of these, could potentially be the future to wireless gaming.

Doobie

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 28, 2005
I run and test Chronicles on a Windows 8 Laptop, you will notice some subtle differences in terms of how/where things are drawn but these are things we will need to ween out/work on if we want to continue to see Mir into the future.

As for it being a tablet, unfortunately I haven't tried, but the OS should be able to run it fine.

Sam
Nice one :), by the subtle differences I'm assuming you mean things like the flames on top of torches misplaced and little things like that?

It will be interesting to see how mir actually runs on one of these, could potentially be the future to wireless gaming.

Definitely, most likely going to get myself one for Christmas so I'll put it to the test. If it runs Mir nicely it'll be the perfect device to play it on in my eyes. It'll literally be my Mir machine.

Mir-sheen. :)

jez

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jun 9, 2013
how about an ipad air version, i got the boss one o.O

DiabloVodkaShot

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 20, 2009
i run mir on Windows Surface Pro and i prefer it tbh. handles it like a dream just everything is smaller

Doobie

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 28, 2005
how about an ipad air version, i got the boss one o.O
I'm hater of all things Crapple :P, poor OS far too restrictive not to mention handing all your data to the American government.

i run mir on Windows Surface Pro and i prefer it tbh. handles it like a dream just everything is smaller
Does everything being smaller make the graphics look better would you say, like is it nicer to look at on a small screen?

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom

But seriously, how will you play Mir on a tablet?

DiabloVodkaShot

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 20, 2009
I'm hater of all things Crapple :P, poor OS far too restrictive not to mention handing all your data to the American government.

Does everything being smaller make the graphics look better would you say, like is it nicer to look at on a small screen?

I find it is nicer however I think the keyboard is abit **** but u can plug one in however only has one USB port

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
problem for me being the mouse, i can see that you could press the potion and **** but other than there is nothing that you can interact with.

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
If you're just hunting / lvling I guess not a bad idea, can't imagine you PKing anyone on a tablet though rofl.

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
Surface pro comes with an attachable keyboard with built in mouse and USB port for plug in mouse

if you are going to use them you may aswell use a desktop though so it would kind of defeat the whole idea

EDIT - for TP

Doobie

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 28, 2005
I find it is nicer however I think the keyboard is abit **** but u can plug one in however only has one USB port

Yeah I don't like the Surface keyboards at all, the docks you can get for Dell's Venue tablets clip on and have multiple USB's and you can pretty much use it like a laptop. I'm sure you can get something to add more USB's to the Surface if you look around.

Thing is though, how's the speed on a Surface out of curiosity? Obviously for Mir nothing beats a single core CPU but **** building a dedi rig for it I'm not quite THAT dedicated :P.

WHY..... why would you even think to do that...........
So I can take Mir around the house, lvl in any room or even at uni without needing to bother with laptop brick chargers n **** trailing around. Mir's a low spec game and I'm sure it'd run nice on one of these devices.

problem for me being the mouse, i can see that you could press the potion and **** but other than there is nothing that you can interact with.
Whadda ya mean?
They have USB ports and you can plug a mouse in mate, can even do that on my Android phone.

If you're just hunting / lvling I guess not a bad idea, can't imagine you PKing anyone on a tablet though rofl.
Yeah I know what you mean mate, I had issues PKing in windowed on Ace tbh, had to be fullscreen. I've got an old 17" square monitor though (which is perfect for Mir) which I'm considering leaving in the lounge connected up so I can just pop down plug tablet in to it and boom! Mir! :P
Probably not though, we'll see.

DiabloVodkaShot

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 20, 2009
Honestly my performance on surface is amazing but that's my opinion and don't have any other **** on it except work

Doobie

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 28, 2005
Went with an Asus T100 in the end, typing this message on it now. Great device for the price and can definitely tell from what its capable of it'll be great for Mir.

But yeah, £330 for a device that's a tablet running full Win8, detachable keyboard included, HDMI out. Cross between netbook n a tablet I spose :)

-Luke-

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 9, 2010
Went with an Asus T100 in the end, typing this message on it now. Great device for the price and can definitely tell from what its capable of it'll be great for Mir.

But yeah, £330 for a device that's a tablet running full Win8, detachable keyboard included, HDMI out. Cross between netbook n a tablet I spose :)

Hey Doobie, Im liking this Asus T100 very much now after reading in this thread and other online reviews. But I have a question that maybe you or someone else could answer for me. As im looking to mainly use this tab for my work and mir I was wondering if SQL 2005 for example could be used on this tab so I can work on my offline server?