Windows 8 thoughts?

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Has anyone here had a chance to try the final version of windows 8 yet? I've been trying it for a week, and finally made the choice to go back to 7.

I went in with an open mind wanting to like it, but several parts just annoyed me too much.

Losing the start menu i thought would be my biggest problem, however i found that even after an hour i was happy with it gone, and the new start menu screen was quite friendly to use.

The search feature annoyed me. No longer can it find everything you need from a simple term. Instead you have to hover on the bottom right corner, go to search, choose from a category of 3 (apps, settings, files) and then type. search terms also aren't as accurate i found.

The general style of the windows, a small problem but they've gotten rid of any window depth (3d look) and everything it just a flat colour. makes the overall look of the windows look amateur imo.

The built in apps were a bit useless. I held high hopes for the calendar app, which would make it easier for me to view all my email calendars and add appointments, however found that it will only read your first google calendar, my other 4 had no way of being viewed.

Having to install applications twice. As the 'metro' system and the 'desktop' system are pretty much independent, you have to install applications twice sometimes. For example theres a skype app for metro, these can only be run on metro and all metro apps are forced full screen or docked. If i want to access skype from the desktop (for productivity) i have to install the alternative skype desktop app.

Shutting down / restarting. No longer can you shut down by going to start menu and clicking 'shutdown'. Now you hover bottom right, go to settings, go to power, go to shutdown. You can also press alt+f4, however this means you have to have every window closed first.

Although they've improved dual monitor features by allows separate wallpapers, taskbars and easier window switching. It annoyed me i couldn't have the start screen open on one, and desktop on the other. Although you can open it on either, as soon as you click something on the desktop screen the start screen will close.

I didn't find many plus points to windows 8. Although i enjoyed not have the start menu, and being able to sync up all my accounts such as facebook, xbox live, gmail and live together so everything was straight away accessible, i couldn't get past the other annoyances.

I'll likely get a windows 8 tablet and be happy, but for productivity when working i just couldn't use it as efficiently as i can windows 7.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
Literally the first thing I did after installing;
alliswell.jpg

I have no desire to go back to W7, the new task manager & file movement is enough for me to stay... oh and the boot times are quicker!

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
yeah i tried start 8, i thought if i use start 8 i'm pretty much getting rid of the start screen, so i'm loosing my main functionality of windows 8.

the task manager was good (though i hardly would ever need to use it)

I also have several software crashes in the time i was using windows 8. something i've never had with windows 7.

I timed my boot times straight after setup, and found windows 8 was only 10 seconds quicker (40 seconds total). Obviously once programs get installed then the boot times would be greater on W7.

The fact i have you input my password on each boot up annoyed me too.

I'm hoping in a few service packs they'll make some changes to W8 for the desktop (not bringing the start menu back, but other tweaks for mouse users)

Have you installed office 2013 too? They're made it look so basic.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
Personally the Start Screen is a bonus feature, it's cool to have on my TV for when I'm on my PC in bed watching / browsing (the Netflix app is great) but other than that I rarely use it, I use Start8 for the old search feature (which I hated on Vista launch but I love it now).

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003
isnt it built for tabs, and office more so then home systems?

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
microsoft market it for both desktop and tablets, and are now rolling all computers (desktops, laptops, tablets) out with windows 8. however when actually using it i find the use is pretty much geared towards touch screen devices. its definitely usable with a mouse, but the start screen style all seems finger based. I think windows 8 would be great on a tablet or phone.

Last edited:

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
It's definitely aimed towards touch, I went to a release event at Scan and the bloke giving the presentation admitted it's a big thing for touch... but I like the changes even without it.