Windows Vista: Your Views

smoochy boys on tour

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
So XP was a new definition, there was no real resistance to change. Sleek, modern and cuttign edge, Windows Experience gave us a new GUI and much much more customisation than previous systems.

Now four-five years on, Microsoft are working on developing the nextgeneration OS... Windows Vista (or Vi for short). So for only the developers have got their hands on a really buggy system, but the face is looking good.

Some good information can be found here...

Some questions you could be asking yourself are that will you be upgrading when it comes out? Are you skeptical or do you think Microsoft can take their OS beyond XP onto a new level and not simply give it a face-lift?

Your views appreciated + please discuss future of Windows OS.

Turin :ppunk:

ps - Nice break from the usual "Building New comps" threads :P!

Hazuki

VIP
VIP
Apr 14, 2004
United Kingdom
Ive got build one of Windows Vista, its a nice OS but minimum specs are alot higher than Windows XP (Not that thats a problem :p) But I hope if they bring out Vista home and Vista Professional, that in the pro version there are no wizards. They do my head in on XP, I mean how many of us Switch to classic in control panel? Home should be user friendly, professional should be for the professionals lol.

Speckle

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 22, 2005
erm i will probably be upgrading to vista but i dont like the theme on the screenys i see. When will vista be coming out?

Mar 23, 2003
Cairo Orbital Defence Platform
WinVI will be a great change for developers and users alike.

Take the LUA, for example. Gone are the days when a single program could cripple your PC. By adopting a Linux-style default user, any changes won't affect the entire PC (Thank god).

Also, make note that they're locking down IE into a restricted program. Basically, WinVI will use extra security precautions with IE, aswell as the normal precautions.

Then take a look at the other changes, Virtual Folders for example. I don't know about you guys, but stuff like that will help me no end.

The 'instant' searches are a nice gimmick, but with the Virtual Folders, i don't expect them to be needed really.

As for the GUI. Looks great, but I don't see any real beneficial change from having per-pixel transparency.

But the best bit is the developer tools. XAML for incredibly simple programming, .NET pre-installed, OneClick installers. It all points to an operating system with a LOT of potential. So long as Microsoft focus on a polished operating system, and not a feature-packed one, I'll be satisfied.

--

If you want a more up-to-date look. Check out the November CTP ;)

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
Ah replies. Ty especially for Auron's summary.

+ KurtBMX have you got a good link/torrent please? Or are you a MSDN subscriber?

^^
Turin

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
Well microsoft very lengthy explanation when they were asked the very same question was something about flexible meeting times insider their board and so even though they have a loose idea of release date in the second half of 2006, they will continuously change this based on what they've done up to that specific date.

Errm so... sometime soon O_o lol...

AERO is sleek and nice, though I've seen it with XP, what interests me is how the whole system works together. I hope its less cluttered and more efficient than XP - like the improvements they're making with Microsoft Office 12 (the new office set for release to supersede Office 2003).

... ya kno... Microsoft might just make a ground breaking piece of office software... but its starting to look a lot like a MAC :/

Turin