Join Discord

scx0r

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 19, 2005
Introduction

wsIyQO4.png
(Artwork is not mine and is typically a placeholder for development purposes)​

I decided I had a 'semi-decent' enough of knowledge to begin work on my MMORPG which is based on roguelikes, so it's technically now a rougelikelike.

If you're unfamiliar of what a rougelike is, basically theres two variants, the text based and the tile based I prefer the tile based, text or tiles represent monsters, path way, walls, traps, doorways, stairways, items on the ground etc.

In a typical roguelike our movement is restricted to 8 way (as this is a top down 2d game) we usually control with a keyboard, however in recent years in graphical roguelikes you can use a mouse... my favourite control scheme is to click where I want to go and the player pathfind to this spot... so typically I chose this control method.

Unlike rougelikes however which base their attack system simply on 'moving' into the target in a multiplayer setting this would become quite difficult without hitting another player by accident so I have added a shift-to attack a selected player as the main melee and for ranged attacks.

I won't go too heavily into the game details , but will explain a little a bout the design of the game.

What language? how does it connect?

The game client is designed in AS3 and uses the power of Flash Stage3D GPU by way of API (Starling).

The server is written in C# and has a database backend (MySQL).

The main communication between the AS3 and C Sharp server is of AMF Serialise and Deserialized of objects particular built before sending and receiving following a message type const/enum format. (1=connect,2=move etc).

Communication of packets are Area wide. With the exception of global packets for global chat and whisper.

The Goal

To learn, to develop, to have some sort of working MMORPG that allows people to instantly connect, play, and Register at any point during their game session written in a language that can be played by any operating system on any browser. (I don't intend to market for handheld or tablets).

So far

The following has been accomplished:

• Communication between AS3 and C Sharp server.
  • Game authorisation and spawn into starting area map.
  • Other players spawn / leave.
  • Movement system (left-click on a tile to move, client side A* path finding and communicate waypoint to server)
  • Warping between Area A (x,y) to Area B (x,y)

There is much left to work on, however I feel I am achieving my goals at a rather steady and tidy pace for a few days work.

Any opinion or idea or criticism positive or negative is welcomed, any questions are appreciated, testers are welcome to PM me for details about test server and my Skype.

I hope you enjoyed my idea and look forward to any responses.

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
Nice work but who would play it? if its for personal experience fair enough.

scx0r

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 19, 2005
alecs7k so far in my testing everyones computer can handle it. I will have to test various machines but currently testing on my low -end rig

intel core 2 quad Q9450 @ 2.66 ghz
2gb single channel (yeah only one stick of ram! LOL) 1333mhz
120gb ocz vertex 2 drive
geforce 8800 gts

---------- Post Merged at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Nice work but who would play it? if its for personal experience fair enough.

A lot of it is a personal journey into developing a mmo, this experience and skillset could be applied for future games maybe a isometric mmo (once I am profound enough at programming) I could eventually learn 3d modelling to 2d isometric images etc.

All in all however I do believe there is a user base for roguelike's already, but they are permadeath hardcore games, while this game won't be permadeath it will have an element of hardcore (pvp + full drop).

Turrican

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 24, 2012
UK
props to you, hope your project goes well, keep us posted :)