Parts System in Mir2

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
How would people feel about a Parts system in Mir 2?
It seems to be solely in Mir3 servers.

So basically if a Sword of War God was 1/2000 to drop from a boss
You need 10 Sword of War God parts to make it, they would have a 1/200 drop rate

Parts would only be for rarer items but would it feel slightly more rewarding for people if they killed a boss and at least started seeing rare item 'parts'?

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Not a fan of parts system personally, especially from bosses,

Works ok to drop from normal mobs whilst grinding

Reactions: daneo1989

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
I quite like the parts system. It adds al alternate method of getting a desired item and keeps you engaged in the game. At least with a parts system you can see your progression towards getting the item.

I also agree with Skyline that it would be better to see the parts drop from normal mobs, not just bosses/subs.

Lionsm!ght

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 28, 2015
Its a good system, especially for low rate servers, for users to feel like they are making progress.

Works fine on either bosses/normal mobs imo. I would suggest also making additional storage options, or an interface like Jamie made on his revamped one to help manage the clutter it creates.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Its a good system, especially for low rate servers, for users to feel like they are making progress.

Works fine on either bosses/normal mobs imo. I would suggest also making additional storage options, or an interface like Jamie made on his revamped one to help manage the clutter it creates.
Works well on Zircon because you have your own drop file.

Having to roll for parts in groups on mir2 seems a bit OTT.

Fine for solo playing.

Reactions: zivanovic99

Swoosh

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Jan 24, 2017
London
I like it. But like Skyline, only from mobs, no point having parts drop from bosses (not exciting for those wanting item drops from bosses) and gives an added bonus for grinding through mob after mob for those who usually dont get much of a look in on bosses.

Seanofsmeg

Staff member
Apr 6, 2015
Yea I would hide sub bosses across floors as higher ups wouldn't be bothered to look fir them just go straight to bosses meaning the lower lvls lvling on the floors will find dubs more often and make them drop pieces so lowers can farm there way to the items or make a bit of cash

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
But think about all the times you get no drops from a boss and cry to the gm or ragequit, as long as you're getting parts drop that's a reason to keep killing it

this was my thoughts on the matter.

I would allow mobs/bosses to drop parts at a low rate, but when killing high end bosses I could make it so you are guaranteed 1 part of say a 43 weapon (you might need 30 parts to get the weapon, and you need to keep getting the same part) but you slowly build them up (or stock them as a guild) to get items.

The problem atm is, I don't want rates to be so low that rare items are no longer arre, but start providing a way to obtain them over time if you don't get that lucky drop.

Reactions: jaffar99

jaffar99

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 15, 2011
On your bike then!

Fed up of the only mir servers being up are just Zircon files with a couple of changes here and there.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
As long as you have a consistent way to remove items from the game. (Like gems/refine/ smashing) to keep them relevant. I like the idea.
Just don't add the guaranteed drop bullshit, that's ridiculous.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
As long as you have a consistent way to remove items from the game. (Like gems/refine/ smashing) to keep them relevant. I like the idea.
Just don't add the guaranteed drop bullshit, that's ridiculous.

We have the system in atm, but its used to always make sure an item is on epic bosses (be it level 43 armour/'Holy' Stones etc)
Its a tiered system but it'll all be tested before implementing, will look at a parts system now :)

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
How does a "parts system" differ from normal crafting of ingredients into items or pots etc. ?

Why does storage need to be adjusted to accommodate it ? Simply make large volume items stackable.
Players have always created storage chars so space is no issue.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
How does a "parts system" differ from normal crafting of ingredients into items or pots etc. ?

Why does storage need to be adjusted to accommodate it ? Simply make large volume items stackable.

Not sure who mentioned adjusting storage for it.

Basically in essence its another 'crafting' source, but once you stack the requirement amount, you use the parts in your bag to get the item.
Theoretically you could make a Sword of war God fragment and build it into crafting, it is the same principle I guess.

Lionsm!ght

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 28, 2015

The way it is implemented on zircon is pretty much every item after level 35 would drop in parts as well as in full. Each item had its own amount of parts which would stack, so you need a space for each different item.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
The way it is implemented on zircon is pretty much every item after level 35 would drop in parts as well as in full. Each item had its own amount of parts which would stack, so you need a space for each different item.

Fundamentally it is an alternative crafting option at its core.
I just like the idea of getting parts of a rare (it motivates you to still keep farming, instead of having to draw on the luck of RNG for the full item to drop)

It also brings in a better economy as you can buy parts of a rare, so rather than waiting for 1 SoWG to appear in a guild, various people might be selling 1 or 2 parts which you can buy yourself or as a guild to stockpile them.

As 1/30th of an item to a guild isnt a "we must keep this" where as a full legendary 43 weapon is a "this will never leave our guild" item.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom

That sounds extreme and OTT (but then mir3 is good at that) filling the game with trash parts is a waste, it should be kept for decent gear

Lionsm!ght

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 28, 2015
That sounds extreme and OTT (but then mir3 is good at that) filling the game with trash parts is a waste, it should be kept for decent gear

It's a column in the item db, you can put however many item parts you need for each item, up to server owners to configure as they wish.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
It's a column in the item db, you can put however many item parts you need for each item, up to server owners to configure as they wish.

I think for Mir2 I will end up limiting it to high end gear; I can imagine having 4,000 parts floating around for Violet Rings would be annoying xD